Need a muffler!

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

CincinnatiFiero

Need a muffler!

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

I need a muffler for my 3800. I am running no cat so I need a muffler thats pretty effective. I need a 3" inlet with center inlet and center outlet so I can just swap mufflers rather than totally re-engineer. Cost is important, I'd like to keep it under $100. Used is fine if you've got one you want to sell. I was hoping there was a summit brand muffler or something that would work but I couldn't find one.
befarrer

Post by befarrer »

I got my bottle muffler from peavy mart for $29 lol. But it was restrictive.

Are you restriced by width or length?
CincinnatiFiero

Length needs to be 18-20 inches or less. Width is less of an issue with a shorter muffler. I really need something relatively compact but has some real baffles in it.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Get a Spintech. They are made in that configuration.

http://www.spintechmufflers.com/spintec ... diagram=15

The picture is a general pic for that case. The part I linked to is the 3" center inlet center outlet. The case measures 4x9.5x16.
CincinnatiFiero

Well the size is close, and everything else is right. But $115... thats more than I want to spend right now. Anything cheaper? If not I will have to go spintech.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

No, there is nothing cheaper unless you buy a metal box that doesn't do any muffling.

Quit being a Fiero owner and do it right.
CincinnatiFiero

I know, someone got a sound clip of a 3800 with a spin tech? My car sounds like ass wide open, is the WCF exhaust spintech? I heard a L67 with WCF headers and exhaust it sounded amazing.
CincinnatiFiero

Jegs has some cherry bomb pro muffler for $59... but then I'd have a cherry bomb on my car, its almost worth the $60 to not have to say that.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Dude the Cherry Bomb is LOUD LOUD LOUD. Dont you understand? The cheap mufflers are just straight through with some fiberglass shit that blows out in a couple weeks and gets even louder.

Yes the WCF muffler is a Spin Tech crossflow design. I dont have a sound clip on hand but Stimpy had a Spin Tech on his 3800SC car and it sounded pretty damn good for a 3800. He may have a sound clip; I know he took a video of my car and his car revving at one point.
CincinnatiFiero

Ugh let me measure... if the spintech fits I will buy it. I need a sound clip of my car, but its so loud I can barely hear the blower. I didn't work on my car at all yesterday but I found someone who will weld up the new muffler for free so I don't have to go rent a welder again. I also found some rims with decent sized tires on them. Money money money!

A sound clip will probably sell me on it, stimpy wasn't running a cat right?
CincinnatiFiero

Finally had some time away from work to work on the fiero and start thinking about it again. I was flipping the the summit catalogue thinking about exhaust. Do cats cut noise down much? A high flow cat is also like $100 but its smaller overall and it will make my car a little greener (like I care, I am more worried about how I almost pass out when I walk behind it). When I test piped my 88GT it got a shit-ton louder but the cat was super clogged.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

CincinnatiFiero wrote: A sound clip will probably sell me on it, stimpy wasn't running a cat right?
AFAIK he had a full Fiero style exhaust with a cat.

Get the Spintech.
lucky

Post by lucky »

CincinnatiFiero wrote:Do cats cut noise down much? A high flow cat is also like $100...

Yes, a cat that isn't just a straight through design will cut down noise some; Magnaflow's universal high flow cats are only about $60.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

There are no baffles in any cats anymore. You can see straight through them. They will reduce the sound a bit due to friction from the walls of the small passages (it's like a thousand small pipes), but if your car is loud, a cat is not going to make it quiet. It might smooth out the sound a bit.
CincinnatiFiero

The magnaflow 3" in/out cat is $78.95 from summit, the spun cat is smaller and supposed to flow better for $100.95 but I want less flow haha.
CincinnatiFiero

Series8217 wrote:There are no baffles in any cats anymore. You can see straight through them. They will reduce the sound a bit due to friction from the walls of the small passages (it's like a thousand small pipes), but if your car is loud, a cat is not going to make it quiet. It might smooth out the sound a bit.
True, ugh I don't feel like spending another $150
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

The Magnaflow is what I'm using and it's just straight through. It's not going to make your car much louder. I had that cat and a spintech on my 3.4 DOHC (loud motor...) and it was... well, loud.
CincinnatiFiero

Without buying a bunch of tubing I can only fit one or the other since I can't re-design my exhaust. I did meet someone who says he has a mandrel bender though.... so we'll see. Thats why I am kind of holding out on the exhaust until I fix the rest of the car.
CincinnatiFiero

Well I can't fit the spintech. Its not going to work. So I ordered up the car chemistry 3 disk street insert and a bag of their stainless packing material. We'll see how it does. If it sucks I will return it and totally re-design my exhaust.
CincinnatiFiero

Got the car chemistry insert in and packed it with the stainless wadding. As of right now I am less than impressed, it made the car less raspy but thats really about it. I am going to play with it for a couple days and if not I will try to get them to take it back. Car sounds pretty good, but the volume is still high,