Suspension?s

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

I_wear_pants

Suspension?s

Post by I_wear_pants »

So I was thinking about adding a rear bar on my 86 and also getting the fiero stores poly kit for the car. As far as tires go I want to keep stock 15s so I figured I would go with some 225s all around.I am mostly just looking for your opinions on good suspension setups for a DD car. Any input or suggestions are appreciated.
befarrer

Post by befarrer »

I would add a small rear bar to your fiero at the most. I would not put a front bar on the back, I would go about 1/2 the size of the front or smaller. Putting a rear bar on the back of a Fiero gives you flatter cornering, but makes it alot more prone to having the back come around on you, and it makes it more sudden. I autocross, and I have seen 2 different Fiero's with 2 different drivers both have front bars on the back, and both of them cannot go the day without spinning out, and when they do it looks very sudden. This last autocross also had a new Fiero driver with stock suspension, and no spins for him. Mine doesnt spin out either, the driver of a Fiero with the front bar on the back rode in mine, and was suprized at how better it cornered.

My sway bar is from a 1989 Buick Riveria. The only problem with it is that is hangs quite low.
lucky

Post by lucky »

There's a few places out there that have add on rear bar kits, Held and PST are 2 that spring to mind.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

befarrer wrote:My sway bar is from a 1989 Buick Riveria. The only problem with it is that is hangs quite low.
You mean that's the small bar that you have on the rear? Stock bar on the front? How did you mount your rear bar?
befarrer

Post by befarrer »

Yeah I have the stock one on the front, and that one on the back, I think it is a 13mm bar. I mounted it behind the a-arms and attached it to the cradle by the parking brake, and to the a-arms by some holes that were already there. If my exhaust wasnt in the way, I would have mounted it to the rear frame rail (not the cradle), and mounted the ends of the sway bar to the strut, but my downpipe goes right across where the sway bar would end up.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

On The Mule ('87) I have my rear bar (stock front bar) mounted to the bottom of the cradle. I use '88 end link brackets swapped L/R and 11 or 12" end links to reach all the way up to the camber bolts. As a sway bar setup it works great... Think I need less stiffness in the rear, however, and more damping.