88 Fiero Wheel Choices

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

88 Fiero Wheel Choices

Post by Series8217 »

This topic was split off from Bonestock's build thread in Tech.
Bonestock wrote: Image
Yeah those are an Enkei design. "Enkei" is cast into the wheel. They use the same design on the wheels they make for Formula 1.
Here's the F1 version: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3064/254 ... 77.jpg?v=0

I love the style. I was considering buying some but they don't have the offsets and sizes I want for my 88!
Last edited by Series8217 on Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bonestock

Post by Bonestock »

Series8217 wrote:Yeah those are an Enkei design. "Enkei" is cast into the wheel. They use the same design on the wheels they make for Formula 1.

I love the style. I was considering buying some but they don't have the offsets and sizes I want for my 88!

What are you looking for? Mine are 17x8 ET45 front and 18x8 ET35 rear. I run 225/45/ZR18 front and 255/35/ZR18 rear.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Bonestock wrote:
Series8217 wrote:Yeah those are an Enkei design. "Enkei" is cast into the wheel. They use the same design on the wheels they make for Formula 1.

What are you looking for? Mine are 17x8 ET45 front and 18x8 ET35 rear. I run 225/45/ZR18 front and 255/35/ZR18 rear.
17x7 48+mm front, 17x9 or 18x9 40mm rear.
17x8 would need at least a 60mm offset on the front of an 88 to not stick way out the fenders, and then it would probably just hit the control arms.
AkursedX
Turbo-boostin!

Post by AkursedX »

Series8217 wrote: 17x7 48+mm front, 17x9 or 18x9 40mm rear.
17x8 would need at least a 60mm offset on the front of an 88 to not stick way out the fenders, and then it would probably just hit the control arms.
Good luck finding that in a matching 5x100 pattern. I have 17x7 et48 in the front and the rears are 17x8 et38. I would like to go wider in the rear, but I would probably just widen the wheels that I have.
'88 Fiero GT- 3800 Turbo Best E.T. 11.36 Best MPH 121.50 (Sold and gone)
2021 Hyundai Veloster-N (SCCA Solo D-Street)
2004 Mazda RX-8 (SCCA Solo STX)
WNY SCCA-Region Auto-X Program Chair
Bonestock

Post by Bonestock »

Series8217 wrote:
Bonestock wrote:

17x7 48+mm front, 17x9 or 18x9 40mm rear.
Uhhhh my fronts are 17x8 with a 45et and they dont stick out past the fenders. Its an 88 as well.

Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

the front of this red car looks perfect to me. In back, I'd change tires to 1 size less wide, and ons series taller, like going from 35 to 40 series. I've overheard alot of comments at alot of car shows as ist seems goofy to many people to have shorter rear sidewalls. Just my 2 cents worth.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Bonestock wrote: Uhhhh my fronts are 17x8 with a 45et and they dont stick out past the fenders. Its an 88 as well.

How does a side view show anything about how the wheel sits in relation to the fender? Maybe you should post a view from the front.

If you think they don't stick out, you're probably just not picky about it or have never seen properly fitting wheels on the 88. The stock 88 fronts are 15x6 ~38mm offset. That puts your wheels 18mm (~3/4 inch) further out than stock. That's not acceptable to me... I was running 17x7 55mm for awhile and it was perfect. Yours stick out a whole inch past that..
Bonestock

Post by Bonestock »

Series8217 wrote:
Bonestock wrote: Uhhhh my fronts are 17x8 with a 45et and they dont stick out past the fenders. Its an 88 as well.

How does a side view show anything about how the wheel sits in relation to the fender? Maybe you should post a view from the front.

If you think they don't stick out, you're probably just not picky about it or have never seen properly fitting wheels on the 88. The stock 88 fronts are 15x6 ~38mm offset. That puts your wheels 18mm (~3/4 inch) further out than stock. That's not acceptable to me... I was running 17x7 55mm for awhile and it was perfect. Yours stick out a whole inch past that..
Yeah because as a store manager for Big10 tires, I wouldnt know a thing about wheels & tires. My wheels set flush with the fender and thats the EXACT look I like.

YMMV
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

How's this, for the sake of educating the 88 owners here interested in wheels/tires (Raises hand), can you show us a front or rear shot so we can draw our own conclusions on what we like?
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Bonestock wrote:
Series8217 wrote:

<useless side picture of car that shows nothing related to offsets>

Yeah because as a store manager for Big10 tires, I wouldnt know a thing about wheels & tires. My wheels set flush with the fender and thats the EXACT look I like.

YMMV

Funny how being a store manager for Big-O tires makes you an expert on wheel offsets regarding an 88 Fiero. Is being cocky part of the job training?
I'm not saying it's bad to like your wheels sticking out further past the fender than they should. To each his own. I just don't want wheels that do.
Bonestock

Post by Bonestock »

Series8217 wrote:
Bonestock wrote:
Series8217 wrote:

<useless side picture of car that shows nothing related to offsets>

YMMV

Funny how being a store manager for Big-O tires makes you an expert on wheel offsets regarding an 88 Fiero. Is being cocky part of the job training?
I'm not saying it's bad to like your wheels sticking out further past the fender than they should. To each his own. I just don't want wheels that do.
Actually it does but its called confidence. Oh and its Big10, not Big0. That and I have been dicking around with Fiero's since the days of the Fiero mailing list. Yet again you keep saying they stick out PAST the fender. NEWS FLASH HOTROD, Its my car & I see it every day so I think I'd know how they set... DUH!

my 510hp (430whp) Evo: Wheels 18X9 Work XD9 et30. Set perfectly flush with the body as well.

Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Yet you still fail to show a picture that lets us see how the wheel fits in relation to the fender.
News flash: Your Evo, and especially its horsepower claim, have absolutely nothing to do with Fiero wheels. But hey, if it makes you feel like a big boy...

An angle like this shows how the wheels are in relation to the body:
Notice the front tuck in. 17x7 55mm. The rears (17x8.5 50mm) tuck in a bit too much, I would've preferred to run a 10mm spacer. A high offset also reduces scrub radius, so you can run way more caster without making it impossible to turn the wheel; this helps a lot for high speed stability.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

I split off this discussion into another thread so that it doesn't dilute your build thread. :salute:
Bonestock

Post by Bonestock »

Series8217 wrote:Yet you still fail to show a picture that lets us see how the wheel fits in relation to the fender.
News flash: Your Evo, and especially its horsepower claim, have absolutely nothing to do with Fiero wheels. But hey, if it makes you feel like a big boy...

An angle like this shows how the wheels are in relation to the body:
Notice the front tuck in. 17x7 55mm. The rears (17x8.5 50mm) tuck in a bit too much, I would've preferred to run a 10mm spacer. A high offset also reduces scrub radius, so you can run way more caster without making it impossible to turn the wheel; this helps a lot for high speed stability.
OMG let me run out and get a pic for you. And yeah the Evo makes me feel like a big boy... but then, I drove it around the Nurburgring. :thumbleft:

And the pic above appears to set the front wheel in to far, but if thats what ya like. I still think it looks blah.
Bonestock

Post by Bonestock »

Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Thanks. You need to turn the wheel straight though. Those pics don't help.. Due to the scrub radius, they will get pushed out as you turn the wheel left. Notice they stick out from the front part of the fender? The whole wheel will stick out a bit when turned straight. Or are you just running a LOT of toe?

If that IS with the wheels straight ahead, I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't actually the width and offset you think they are. Are they stamped? I have seen wheels with the width and offset you claim to have on an 88 and they don't look like that. 17x8 45mm sticks out 10mm further than my current wheels (17x7 42mm) and I think mine don't tuck enough. Did you actually mean 17x7 45mm? I will try to remember to get a pic of my wheels tomorrow to compare.

How much camber are you running?
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Don't forget that the Fiero front fenders taper. The fender-fender distance is wider at the back of the wheel opening than the front. This makes the angle of the shot have a lot to do with how the tire looks compared to the fender.
Bonestock

Post by Bonestock »

Series8217 wrote:Thanks. You need to turn the wheel straight though. Those pics don't help.. Due to the scrub radius, they will get pushed out as you turn the wheel left. Notice they stick out from the front part of the fender? The whole wheel will stick out a bit when turned straight. Or are you just running a LOT of toe?

If that IS with the wheels straight ahead, I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't actually the width and offset you think they are. Are they stamped? I have seen wheels with the width and offset you claim to have on an 88 and they don't look like that. 17x8 45mm sticks out 10mm further than my current wheels (17x7 42mm) and I think mine don't tuck enough. Did you actually mean 17x7 45mm? I will try to remember to get a pic of my wheels tomorrow to compare.

How much camber are you running?
FFS dude, now I need to make sure the wheel was pointing straight? Because if you think they are in that pic, you'd be retarded. God damn now I dont know how to order and verify wheel size? Would you like for me to fucking take a pic of the wheel size too? Quit trying so hard to quantify your choice in size & offset.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

I love the fit on the rear of that yellow car.
AkursedX
Turbo-boostin!

Post by AkursedX »

I should also note that I went from a 17x7 et38 wheel, which did have a bit of poke, to my current 17x7 et48 wheel. I also went from a 225 tire to a 215 tire in the front. My rears remained 17x8 et38, but I went from a 235 to a 245.

Turn-in was substantially improved, and overall handling was much better.
'88 Fiero GT- 3800 Turbo Best E.T. 11.36 Best MPH 121.50 (Sold and gone)
2021 Hyundai Veloster-N (SCCA Solo D-Street)
2004 Mazda RX-8 (SCCA Solo STX)
WNY SCCA-Region Auto-X Program Chair