Screech on accell from start

General Fiero Maintenance including oil changes, air filters, suspension refreshes, restorations, painting, etc.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Xanth

Screech on accell from start

Post by Xanth »

Recently noticed I'm getting a screech, definitely metallic sounding, whenever I start quickly from a stop now.

Only seems to occur when I'm in gear, and accelerate from a stop. Revving the car in neutral, or holding the breaks and blipping the gas does not seem to cause any issue.

No other sounds, just the quick screech, car runs and drives fine.

Any ideas what I should look at? I figured a bearing would be a constant screech, and I didn't notice any unusual drag when I last had it on the lift. I'm actually pretty unfamiliar with the rear-end on these cars, I haven't touched anything that wasn't directly involved in dropping the cradle.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

I had this exactly problem at one point! .. and I can't remember what caused it :scratch:.
I know I've had squeaking sounds before that were caused by loose front cradle bolts. Check your cradle bolts, dogbone bushings, dogbone bolts, engine mounts, engine mount bolts, and exhaust system bolts.
Fastback86

Post by Fastback86 »

You're sure it's not the belt?
<Insert Sig Here>
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Belt would make sounds when he revs it.
Fastback86

Post by Fastback86 »

Not necessarily. I've had belt squeal ever so slightly under acceleration, but not under free revving. The load on the engine is all it takes I guess.
<Insert Sig Here>
Xanth

Post by Xanth »

Fairly certain its not the belt, I had belt squeal for quite some time and this sound is distinctly different. I also have the dodgerunner belt tensioner, I haven't had a squeak since putting that in.

I'll have the car up on a lift this weekend, I can go through and check the mount locations.

Now that I think about it, the sound is actually similar to when my last distributor started to disintegrate. I'll have to check that as well just in case.
jelly2m81

Post by jelly2m81 »

backing plate too close to the flywheel / flex plate?
Xanth

Post by Xanth »

Well, I can't find what the hell is doing it. Maybe once it gets worse I'll be able to find it.

What does a bad CV joint sound like on a rear wheel drive? :scratch:
jelly2m81

Post by jelly2m81 »

Xanth wrote:Well, I can't find what the hell is doing it. Maybe once it gets worse I'll be able to find it.

What does a bad CV joint sound like on a rear wheel drive? :scratch:
A bad cv joint in a Fiero always has exhibited a horrible shake on accelleration in my experiance, haven't heard any abnormal noises from them.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

you have any pics of the bad CV in question?
Xanth

Post by Xanth »

The CV's look okay, boots intact and all. I was just wondering if a CV could make this noise. I've never owned a car with CV joints in the rear, only FWD Hondas and those are obvious when the CV is bad.

I may be able to get a recording of the noise, not sure if my camera would pick it up over engine/ambient sound.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

throw out bearing? THis happens on my buddies mustang but only in first gear when from a stop.
Xanth

Post by Xanth »

I've got a slushbox :crybaby:
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

Oh. Well then that's the problem. ;)
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Is your engine rocking enough under acceleration to get a belt pully to touch the car anywhere? Only way I can see it only happening in 1st gear, when you are torquing the drivetrain the most.
whipped

Post by whipped »

Okay, so is it speed sensitive or RPM sensitive? If you throw it in neutral when it's screeching and rev the engine, does it change with the engine, or slow with the car?
Xanth

Post by Xanth »

Soon as I release the gas, the sound stops. Seems fairly constant in pitch from when it starts to it stops. It doesn't wind down, just stops.

I'll try and get audio this weekend.

The engine may be shifting, I'll have to check though it would have to move a lot for a pulley to rub?
Xanth

Post by Xanth »

Just thought of something, here's my belt tensioner bracket:

Am I right that the main bracket is bolted to a stationary portion of the motor mount while the other two points are bolted to moving parts?
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

No.
Xanth

Post by Xanth »

Hmm, scratch that then.