Question about 60* oil leak

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

Fastback86

Post by Fastback86 »

Have you pulled it apart yet? Unless you've actually seen oil on the clutch, you don't know if the slipping clutch is related or coincidental. My oil leak did not cause any clutch slippage, and I can't see how any slow leak would, since it would have to get around to the other side of the flywheel, then down in between the clutch and pressure plate, all while all that shit is spinning at several thousand RPMs.
<Insert Sig Here>
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

Fastback86 wrote:Have you pulled it apart yet? Unless you've actually seen oil on the clutch, you don't know if the slipping clutch is related or coincidental. My oil leak did not cause any clutch slippage, and I can't see how any slow leak would, since it would have to get around to the other side of the flywheel, then down in between the clutch and pressure plate, all while all that shit is spinning at several thousand RPMs.
That's a good point, I haven't.

Furthermore, it is a very minor oil leak. And honest to God, it could be tranny fluid for all I know. It isn't leaking enough to show on either dipstick, and the two look relatively similar at this point (Fresh after change).

Also, I did not do a very traditional clutch break in. According to a Centerforce article I have, the break in is crucial to the performance of the clutch. My break in consisted of a WOT blast through 1st and second to the rev limiter.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

Can you take the starter off and try to look in there and see if you've got some oil in there? I don't see how a failed oil pan will leak into an manual trans.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Atilla the Fun wrote:did you use thread sealer on the flywheel-to-crank bolts?
The 60* V6 flywheel bolt holes are blind holes, there is absolutely no pathway to oil through or around them.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Tranny fluid is a good point. Could your right axle seal be leaking, and flinging into into that area between the bellhousing and the oil pan? That would make it look like its coming from the rear main or the oil pan gasket. I have a leak like that right now.
FieroGeneral

Post by FieroGeneral »

well, when that happend to me it was my T/o bearing sleeve looking like this:

and the clutch got oily and slippery!
edit: and it leaked just a little oil between the flyweel and the tranny.
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

Series8217 wrote:Tranny fluid is a good point. Could your right axle seal be leaking, and flinging into into that area between the bellhousing and the oil pan? That would make it look like its coming from the rear main or the oil pan gasket. I have a leak like that right now.
No the axle seals are dry.
FieroGeneral wrote:well, when that happend to me it was my T/o bearing sleeve looking like this:

and the clutch got oily and slippery!
edit: and it leaked just a little oil between the flyweel and the tranny.
This is what I'm afraid of, but it could very easily be the case. Weird that it didn't do it with the 2.8l though.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
FieroGeneral

Post by FieroGeneral »

yeah..
the t/o bearing sleeve was a PITA to change...i needed to use a 40 ton press to get it out. ( i needed to split the case to get it out. ) the part from the t/o bearing sleeve damaged my presure plate. And it was oil on my flywheel and clutch as well.

i change all the axel seal and checked the getrag at the same time i had it out.

to me it first started as a oil leak between the getrag and the flywheel...and then it started to slip in 5 gear at low rev.