Excuse my oil ignorance...

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

CincinnatiFiero

Excuse my oil ignorance...

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

So I was changing the oil on my wrangler. I took the filter off and nothing dripped like it usually does. I looked at the filter there was oil in the "outer holes" but I looked in the inner hole that opens into the center of the filter itself and there was no oil in there. What does that mean? I am an ignoramus and thats how they all look (cause I don't think so) or did my filter go into bypass? I have pics... purolator may owe me a motor.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

No matter bypass or not, it should be filled with oil. What angle is the filter at on the motor?
It's possible that it just drained back into the oil pan, especially if the filter doesn't have an anti drainback valve.. but a Purolator should.
Did you run the engine before you pulled the filter off?
CincinnatiFiero

It sits sideways but not pointing down, the car hadn't run all week. But there was NO oil in there.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

I wouldn't worry about it.
CincinnatiFiero

Aight cool, I mean i'd been driving with this filter for months and nothing was ever hot or pegged out, and it started right up. It just scared me a bit.