Grease Boots

General Fiero Maintenance including oil changes, air filters, suspension refreshes, restorations, painting, etc.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Bullets'n'Octane

Grease Boots

Post by Bullets'n'Octane »

ok..I got my Fiero a short time ago and did the first oil change since I had it. I went to grease the front suspension and notice the grease boots are collapsed, rotted and would hold no grease whatsoever. So my question is, is there a way to fix them or buy some now boots or something? I dont wanna have to change the whole suspension cause of this. Thanx in advance for any hep. Also thanx to Atilla The Fun for pointing me to this forum.

Wes
Idaho_Fiero@yahoo.com
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Hi Wes, welcome to the forum!

I'm unaware of a source for aftermarket rubber grease boots, but you could try the "HELP" section of the auto parts store, or look in the Dorman/Motormite catalog (http://www.motormite.com/).

If you can't find them from there... pick up a pack of the polyurethane ones from the auto parts store. They're in a package with a yellow card. The brand is usually Energy Suspension, and they're in the performance section of most stores. They don't hold grease as well as new rubber ones, but they will work better than what you have now.

That said... if the boots are in that bad of shape, are the tie rods and ball joints really worth saving? Did you do the shake test with the wheel mounted?
Bullets'n'Octane

yeah, did the shake test, they're holding that and I think anything would be better than what I have. Tie rods and ball joints seem fine, but I figure this would make them last a little longer until I can get new ones.
Thanx for the reply

Wes
Idaho_Fiero@yahoo.com
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

Pep boys can order the poly ones that are supposidly *for* the fiero through KeyStone for like $4 each.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

CincinnatiFiero wrote:Pep boys can order the poly ones that are supposidly *for* the fiero through KeyStone for like $4 each.
It doesn't matter what they're "for".. the poly ones fit like crap. :-P
lucky

Post by lucky »

Welcome Wes. Motormite/Dorman does indeed have "universal" tie rod boots. My local AAP has them on the shelf. I put a link to the Motormite/Dorman online catalogs in the parts/materials library in tech if you need to find the part # to try to get them elsewhere.
Bullets'n'Octane

Thanks for the input, I'll have to check those out. Hopefully I can get it fixed before snow flies..Racing against time, I always seem to lose :angry: