Need suggestions on new tranny

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

TurboGT

Need suggestions on new tranny

Post by TurboGT »

Several months ago I was driving home from work and the tranny started to squeal when it was in gear and the clutch was depressed. First thing I though of was the throwout bearing. So after sitting for several months I finally got around to replacing the bearing and once it was apart it was apparent that the bearing was not in the best condition. Once the car was back together I took it around the block and the problem was still there. I assume that the problem is an input/output shaft bearing, where removing the load from it causes the bearing to squeal.

So here is my question....... What tranny should I replace it with? If I go auto it looks like I will be controlling it with megasquirts new GPIO board and would be using some paddle shifters like the ones from twist machine.

The tranny is going to be subject to boost launches and I would like something that can take a beating so here is what I am considering:
Rebuild the stock trans?
Swap in a 4t65hd?
Swap in a 4t80e?

I have been doing some research and it looks like the 80e needs custom axle shafts, but couldn't find any pictures showing if the frame needs to be cut. Anyone here with experience on installing one want to chime in?

Do custom axle shafts need to be made for the 65hd? What about frame clearance? GM has been putting this behind the 5.3 and the 3800sc.... how well does it hold power? Say 400+hp.

Any suggestion on other tranns that fall under around $500 used?
Mega Squirted Turbo 3400
The install
How to MS your Fiero
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

The 80e is bigger, and heavier, than your entire car. It's made for aircraft carriers. They just used it on Cadillacs.

I'd go with a mildly built 65e if I were you. Well, actually, I'd just toss in another Getrag. I highly doubt you're making enough power to overcome what a Getrag can handle. Some just do go out. Mine in my maroon car blew up, and it was behind a stock 3.4 DOHC. However, if auto is what you want, a 65HD is the way to go. They are easy to find, have a good aftermarket, are just as strong as an 80 once mildly built, and weigh a whole lot less.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

well the tranny didn't blow up, it sounds like it just wore out.

Easiest would be to find a replacement getrag. Probably cost $500 or so for a fiero one in fair to good condition.

If you are set on changing trannies to an auto I say go 65. It can handle a good bit of power and weighs less then the 80.
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
jelly2m81

Post by jelly2m81 »

Shaun41178(2) wrote:well the tranny didn't blow up, it sounds like it just wore out.

Easiest would be to find a replacement getrag. Probably cost $500 or so for a fiero one in fair to good condition.
I build a Fiero for a customer back in July, I took the getrag apart to check it's innards, the customer had said he was looking for replacements in case all wasn't well and said there was a place in Florida that sells new ones for 500-600.

I'll email him and see where that place was.
TurboGT

Post by TurboGT »

I am not entirely set on going auto..... I am just sick of pulling this tranny out. Car is on its third throwout bearing now..... First one was the stock shitty one that came with the spec clutch and the second one was another stock one that I had laying around from the engine swap (was new when installed, came from a autozone clutch kit). The one that was just put in is a Timken (really a NSK in a timken box).

How hard is the tranny to rebuild? Manuals are fairly simple and I would only really need new bearings right? What about the syncors? Overhaul kit is $335 and the Overhaul Kit plus Synchro Ring Kit is $525.
http://www.drivetrain.com/muncie282FWD.html
Do you know of anywhere else that sells rebuild kits or have you bought one from the place linked above?

How does the FWD Getrag compare to the stock Fiero one? Looks like the adapter kit from Rodney is $120 which is fairly cheep if I can find a good trans at the yard. I just found this article from Rodney and will be reading through it... http://my.execpc.com/~rodney1/getraginfo.htm
Mega Squirted Turbo 3400
The install
How to MS your Fiero
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Call High Gear: http://www.highgeartransmission.com/
They have rebuild kits for the 282 for like $300 including synchro rings.

Read these two threads:
http://realfierotech.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=6788
http://realfierotech.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=4231

LOTS of good info as well as rebuild info.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

not sure where you live but I saw a getrag in Tenn for sale on the other forum.

Also the FWD trannies work great and have a stronger diff if I am not mistaken. Just use rodneys conversion kit and you are all set. The Punisher on here used a FWD tranny with his northstar setup and bought dickmans stuff and it turned out great.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Shaun41178(2) wrote:not sure where you live but I saw a getrag in Tenn for sale on the other forum.

Also the FWD trannies work great and have a stronger diff if I am not mistaken. Just use rodneys conversion kit and you are all set. The Punisher on here used a FWD tranny with his northstar setup and bought dickmans stuff and it turned out great.
Not ALL of the FWD trannies have the stronger diff. I think they started using it in 1990.
TurboGT

Post by TurboGT »

Hey guys, thanks for all of the suggestions.

Not sure if I will have time for the rebuild so I am looking for some FWD trannies locally...... will see what turns up. If it takes to long to find something in decent shape for a good price I think I am going with a 4t65e-hd.

jelly2m8 were you able to find out the place that sells new Getrags?
Mega Squirted Turbo 3400
The install
How to MS your Fiero
darkhorizon

Post by darkhorizon »

If you need a trans controller for a 65e let me know.
slowfiero

Post by slowfiero »

if you get the 65e, it has a weak spot, the input shaft. its only rated to handle 280 tq. so i would def get a new one of those right away if you plan to do some good modding of if you have a good amount of mods already, but some people do get lucky and they hold out for a while. as i got lucky and it lasted for me up until i replaced it(this was in my grand prix, i had 310 whp and wtq, ran a 12.4@108 and the input shaft was fine) another weak spot is the clutches, the stock ones i have been told are good for about 310 hp. they started to go out when i was on my supercharged set up, and they only lasted me 1700 miles on my turbo set up. but this was all in my grand prix GTP, i dont have a fiero yet. so with a lighter car it will help things out a little.

there is also a big aftermarket for these trannies so finding parts for it wont be hard. one of the big vendors of these trannies just settled a contract with GM racing for the torsen dif and you can get it for 1300. but dont worry if you dont wanna spend that kinda money of a dif, the stock HD one will do you just fine seeing how the fastest FWD 3800 is still running the stock HD dif, which is 8.6@ i think about 158mph.
i got a fiero

turbo build/3800 swap getting started
fierogt28

Re:

Post by fierogt28 »

jelly2m81 wrote:
Shaun41178(2) wrote:well the tranny didn't blow up, it sounds like it just wore out.

I build a Fiero for a customer back in July, I took the getrag apart to check it's innards, the customer had said he was looking for replacements in case all wasn't well and said there was a place in Florida that sells new ones for 500-600.

I'll email him and see where that place was.
Hmmm, that's funny...that would be me. I never got an e-mail about this...anyways. Its a place in Florida that is called Manstrans. They have a rebuilt getrag tranny with all new bearings, seals, syncros, all. They priced a fiero getrag tranny for just over 700USD. I think the core is 350$ or something...

These guys have a shitload of trannies for many applications.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Re: Need suggestions on new tranny

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Mantrans has serious quality and configuration control issues. I worked on one of their boxes for a customer of mine because they sent him the wrong ratio set... like *WAY* the wrong ratio set. The set they sent him was one that GM only used in foreign market Olds minivans... it had the shortest of EVERY gear.

When I took it apart, a couple of case bolts were not torqued.
fierogt28

Re: Need suggestions on new tranny

Post by fierogt28 »

Well, that's good to know...as a reference point.

Probably the best thing is to rebuild it yourself, or find a getrag with low milage. That's something that is hard to find these days that isn't abused.:(