New Caro. I got a Bimmer.

Talk about your other cars here.

Moderator: crzyone

Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

Wrong!

Those were fast, cheap, reliable. This is missing the first element. My Fiero is missing the middle element.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I got a weekend back in town, so I decided to work on the car a bit.

I did an oil change, and found my oil leak. I couldn't get the drain plug out, it just spun. So I put the air gun on it, and that got it out. It looked really weird, like, it only had one thread then a wedge shape on it. I take a look inside the drain, and I see the rest of the plug. Fuck. I used a flathead screwdriver, and was able to get it out pretty easily. The threads looked good, so I put a new magnetic plug in, and added oil.

I also fixed the ashtray, it was off its tracks. So now it slides easy and fits the trim nicely.

I also fixed the throttle cable. Turns out, when I went WOT, it'd only open 90% or so. This wouldn't affect power that much, but it would be why my car is shifting out early, and not kicking down properly. So I adjusted that, it now opens 100% perfect. I haven't driven it, but I expect it will run out to 6, and kick down like it should.

I also added a bottle of fuel system cleaner. I'm not sure how much these do, but it was included with the car, so can't hurt.

I also changed the bulb in my LH foglight that was burned out. Works great.

Lastly, I checked tire pressure. 3 were at 20-24psi, the last was at 8psi. So I got those all back up to 40.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

I personally am a believer in injector cleaners. I've only noticed differences with the "expensive stuff" when I worked at pep boys we tried all sorts of stuff, they were "free samples" after all. Lucas seems to be good, so do the chevron techron products. The STP is junk, the Gumout ones didn't seem to do as much. Its also relative to how gummed up the injectors are. The fact is the injectors can and do gum up, so there is no reason a cleaner couldn't have some possible gain. Jackasses who say they are getting an extra 15mpg because of a tank of Super108 octane boost are idiots. BMW Genuine Injector cleaner is good too but it is like $15 a bottle IIRC. Lucas is my favorite.

Good work on fixing her up, time for pics!
whipped

Post by whipped »

fill it up at a top tier gas station, and it has the fuel injector cleaner in the gas already.
My fiero is aliiiive!!
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I fill up at Sam's Club, it's generally 4 cents or so cheaper, plus they have the "clean" dispensing guns (Like they have in CA), so it makes me feel better....I guess.

I didn't get a chance to get pics, maybe sometime this week...but don't hold your breath. I'm good at taking hundreds of pictures of my build cars, but terrible at taking even 1 pic of my dd.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Cleaned the car today. It cleans up well, and looks perfect from 20ft or so. Closer than that, you can see the plentiful front end rock chips, and clear coat peeling in a few places. Still looks good. I also moved the center caps around, so now my driver's side has chrome wheels and chrome center caps. The passenger side is missing one center cap, and the other is just silver. I'm not going to get new ones, I'd replace the wheels before I did anything. Any 5 series wheels will work, but I'm cheap. It also needs new BMW badges on the hood and decklid.

88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
84fierotrevor

Post by 84fierotrevor »

The words bmw and cheap don't go together well
Aaron

Re: New Caro. I got a Bimmer.

Post by Aaron »

Still going good, almost to 215k. I am fighting the urge to play with it, but damn there are some nice looking 5-series out there! However, the floating of these godawful shocks finally got the best of me, so I ordered a full set of Bilsteins. I have almost convinced myself that if I want to play with a 5, I'll buy a black 540 with a stickshift. At least start off right. However, for now I am saving. Still undecided between a Jeep SRT8 Grand Cherokee, or a E46 M3.

88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

That black 5 is really nice.
Fastback86

Post by Fastback86 »

Man, I love dished wheels.
<Insert Sig Here>
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

E34s are bad ass, yeah don't mess with the 525i very much, intake, cam, MAF conversion if you car is that old, header and exhaust is like $5k and will get you like 200whp... if that. Its kind of like playing with an L44 fiero, tempting and parts are out there, its just not really worth it at all. Air intake and an exhaust and some M5 throwing stars are all you need. And the bilsteins.
84fierotrevor

Post by 84fierotrevor »

Aaron wrote:Still going good, almost to 215k. I am fighting the urge to play with it, but damn there are some nice looking 5-series out there! However, the floating of these godawful shocks finally got the best of me, so I ordered a full set of Bilsteins. I have almost convinced myself that if I want to play with a 5, I'll buy a black 540 with a stickshift. At least start off right. However, for now I am saving. Still undecided between a Jeep SRT8 Grand Cherokee, or a E46 M3.

You do not want a e46 M3, please don't get a e46 m3
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I kinda do though. I'd get a 6-speed manual hardtop, love love love.

I don't like the all top end motor, but that's fun sometimes. I also think they're underpowered. But other than that, I loved the one I drove.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Chose a SRT8, but going to keep my 525 as a daily driver. Ever since I got it, it has leaked oil. I think it'd leak less if I took the drain plug out, that's how much it leaks. It's like a steady stream of Mobil 1 down the road. I actually add about 1-2 quarts every 3,000 miles, and it leaks PS fluid and antifreeze. Well in my new house, this won't cut it, so I decided I'd replace some gaskets. I have no clue which ones are leaking, so they all get replaced.

For the BMW guys out here, this website is really cheap! http://www.autohausaz.com/ My entire engine gasket set (Minus front/rear mains seals and headgasket), is $42.

So I'll update this with pics as I go, also replacing some engine bay hoses and spark plugs. I wish I knew where it was leaking from, but the entire underside is covered in wet oil.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

Trevor Borden is dead. :\
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

That happens when you hang yourself.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Aaron wrote:I have almost convinced myself that if I want to play with a 5, I'll buy a black 540 with a stickshift. At least start off right.
Nah... build a 550. Use a Getrag 265 transmission and modify the separable bellhousing to work with the M70.
THE PUNISHER

Post by THE PUNISHER »

No offense , but why wouldn't you daily drive / winter drive a Jeep?? I know it's got a big motor and all , but it's not rare and depreciates like every other chrysler product.

I say forget the BMW and just drive the jeep..
Fuck you Shaun , one day those little boys will talk and when they do you will get yours.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

The Dark Side of Will wrote: Nah... build a 550. Use a Getrag 265 transmission and modify the separable bellhousing to work with the M70.
I don't like the new 5 series body style, I'd rather a E39 M5, plus it comes stock with a 6-speed and is quicker.
THE PUNISHER wrote:No offense , but why wouldn't you daily drive / winter drive a Jeep?? I know it's got a big motor and all , but it's not rare and depreciates like every other chrysler product.

I say forget the BMW and just drive the jeep..
25mpg vs 14 for one, next I don't mind if the BMW gets door dings, hail damage, otherwise damaged, kicked, eggs thrown at, or driven through salted roads. I mind that with my Jeep.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Aaron wrote:
The Dark Side of Will wrote: Nah... build a 550. Use a Getrag 265 transmission and modify the separable bellhousing to work with the M70.
I don't like the new 5 series body style, I'd rather a E39 M5, plus it comes stock with a 6-speed and is quicker.
E34.

Actually, now that I've thought about it, I'd rather put a stickshift V12 into an E24 6 series.