The new 88GT

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

CincinnatiFiero

Re: The new 88GT

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

I have a pair of Kris Munson turn signal covers, but I cannot find the clips, anyone have any ideas as to how I could clip them on?
CincinnatiFiero

Well I broke the drivers side exhaust hanger, so I am going to try to re-weld it one for time when I next go to the shop. If I break it a second time I will replace the hanger.

Played with an E46 M3 vert yesterday, it was a beautiful day, it was close to 80. I was on the highway doing about 70 and this black M3 vert with black rims with two guys in it pulls up next to me, the passenger looked over my car and gave me the "cool car nod" then he said something to the driver. The driver stayed next to me but dropped down 2 gears and brought the revs way up. So I got behind he him and took off. Now obviously we weren't full on racing because he let me stick with him, had he gone for it I would have gotten destroyed. But we got up around 110-115, I was impressed with how easily the 2.8 got up that high and didn't have much trouble hanging with the M3. They gave me a wave and got off a few exits later. I love this car, just wish it had about 100 more HP... hmmm what will I do?
jelly2m81

Post by jelly2m81 »

CincinnatiFiero wrote:.............. I love this car, just wish it had about 100 more HP... hmmm what will I do?
Easy, just swap the L67 from your other car into it, problem solved.
CincinnatiFiero

Tempting... but I may have another trick up my sleeve, give me a few days.
CincinnatiFiero

So a guy I work with has a friend who had a turbo'ed 87GT, he flipped the car or some other wreck, but pulled the turbo from the car. All he has left now is an 87GT with 20k miles on it, supposedly parts are still wrapped in plastic, which sounds bs because it has 20k on it. Bottom line, he claims to have the complete bolt on kit and doesn't need it anymore. So we may be negotiating something up here in the future. The only bolt on turbo kit was like D1S wasn't it? Someone else made them in the 80s (focoa or something) and then D1S bought the rights? So I checked D1S's site, 200hp on 7-8psi would wake the 2.8 up a bit.
CincinnatiFiero

22.99 mpg on this tank, my O2 has yet to show up so I dunno whats up with that.
Xanth

Post by Xanth »

Mileage seems okay, my auto used to get 24mpg, down to 21 after cam swap.

Turbo 2.8 would be pretty fun.
CincinnatiFiero

Got 24.62 mpg on this tank, this is still the old O2, old plugs, old fuel filter, I just have not had time to work on the car, I also didn't want to risk fouling out my new NGKs on the old O2. My O2 came in today and I am waiting for the car to cool off right now.

The 2.8 is entertaining but the obvious craving for more power is setting in, the L67 certainly offers more power but its a month away, and the 88 is a nice daily, power everything, leather, etc, everything the L67 car doesn't have. So I may look into so stuff to add HP to it.

The car has the ported intake manifold I did up a while ago, its just the middle and upper plenums, a CRX cold air intake, and a test pipe. I think I may bust out the welder and do up a ported Y pipe and try to pick up some spare headers to port in my spare time. Is that combo good for like 10hp or something?
CincinnatiFiero

Put the O2 in last night, drove well on the drive in this morning but half way on my drive the SES light came on. I will try to check the code in parking lot before I leave, I will laugh if its a rich/lean code.
CincinnatiFiero

The hard plastic vacuum line had slipped out of the rubber elbow on the EGR solenoid, stuck it back in and electrical taped it and the light went off.

The car seems to run better now with the new O2 and I am not getting any back firing. Not to sound like a ricer, but the car does FEEL a bit faster.
CincinnatiFiero

Took it to Mike's for The Works last night because I haven't washed it since I bought it. I've either been at work or in class so my car was looking like shit. The paint is still decent but full of swirls so I need to get it buffed out as soon as I have the moola to get it professionally done. But here are some clean pics.
CincinnatiFiero

Got my NGK UR5s in, the plugs that were in there weren't worn at all, but they were in there really loose.

Last MPG with old plugs

First tank with the new plugs, but I did a lot of 100mph pulls on this tank, the car runs better so I was exploring upper rpm bands, and a turbo protege and a civic Si egged me on on the highway (separate days), I stuck with each of them pretty damn good.
23.33 MPG

So next to no improvement, but I tend to drive hard, so this tank I am going to keep it under 70mph for the whole tank, considering how loose the plugs were in there I would like to see some improvement. I'd like to be getting 25mpg consistently, but most of my driving is stop and go driving.

I think as soon as the L67 car is done I am going to look into swapping this car, this motor isn't in the best health with only 93k on it, it burns a little oil, idle hunts, doesn't run the greatest, it makes a fine DD, but I'd like to go 21st century with it. I am thinking doing a V8! Vortec 6000, the 350hp version. But thats just a pipe dream at this point.
CincinnatiFiero

Well my driving like a bitch tank ended being all city driving since I didn't get called into work, 23mpg. I am driving hard again but some highway so I am at about the same mileage on the same point in my tank. Need a roadtrip to try to get my mpg up. I get the burble sort of cackle in between gears, any idea as to what it could be? I know that is a broad question.

Waxed it on Easter, and it rained monday, pwn3d, but I snapped some pics.
Perfect leather seat, someone on Old Europe assures me these are Mr.Mikes seats, despite my other 88GT having the same seats since the day it was new.
Yeah I am a ricer with my 2.8 badge, I was bored and had it kicking around, kind of like it on there, 3m foam tape holds it up
CincinnatiFiero

My temp guage was locked off the charts so I decided to do Paul McKibbens gauge fix to see if it worked.
http://www.fierosails.com/tempgage.html

Before
Now he said he managed to repin the connectors and if you unwrap all the wires you can stretch the wires accross the car. I decided to go ahead and add about a foot of wire to each pin for safetys sake. Didn't want to unwrap all the wire, or risk it pulling out when I put it back together because it was so tight
Added wire
Now here it is, does not peg on startup but I just did this at 10 at night in my driveway so I didn't hang around and run it to temp to make sure it works, I will drive it to class and get back to you guys later.

Overall it took me just under an hour to pull the dash apart, solder in the wires, and re-assemble. So not too bad to fix such an annoying little problem.
CincinnatiFiero

Had some ecklers C4 mirror add ons for a while now, decided to throw them on today, I was bored.

Still undecided on whether or not I like them. I am going to put my clear corners and LEDs on it next and then probably throw my Kris Munson covers over the top once I get a new set of clips.
Xanth

Post by Xanth »

I get confused whenever I see those, what is the point of them?
CincinnatiFiero

On the C4s there is really bad wind noise around the mirrors, I notice a little on the fiero. They cut the noise down. And look different, not many fieros have them. I have not driven with them yet, I'll tell you if I notice tomorrow. I also just had them here, so screw it. The old 3M double side tape worries me though, I may need to tear them off in the morning and put fresh tape on them.
CincinnatiFiero

Always thought those tuners "urban" photoshoots were cool, so I decided to get artsy at the warehouse today. Nothing is different about the car except the exhaust should be closer to level.
CincinnatiFiero

Free poly dog bone, expecting to drop my 0-60 by a couple tenths.
(thats a joke at the expense of everyone on Old Europe who says their car is exponentially faster with one)
Jinxmutt

Post by Jinxmutt »

Nice 2.8 decal.... :roll: