The new 88GT

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Re: The new 88GT

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

134 retrofits should have a NEW receiver/dryer. I've also heard various opinions about the compatibility of the system's current charge of compressor oil (ester based, rather than petroleum) with the new refrigerant. I had my car converted coincident with installing a new compressor.
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

Well the alternator is bad, so expect some hilarious videos...
CincinnatiFiero

Okay, alternator tested good... but the bearings where squealing all over the place and it turned over really rough. So I went ahead and replaced it and the belt.

The problem before was the voltage gauge read low and the battery was not charging, so the car would not start after 2-3 starts because the battery wasn't recharging. Alt tested good, but I went ahead and replaced it as mentioned. But the voltage still reads low and VOLTS light comes and goes, but no issues starting, lights aren't dim, stereo kicks on (my unit won't kick on at all if the voltage is too low)etc. Would it be the gauge or is there something else I should look at.

Battery tested good, and I have that $Rich$ ground wire.

Other issue, car backfires. Raced a friend tonight (mazda 626 V6, and I won woot) but he said as I was pulling away I was getting licks of flame between gears.

Stock 2.8 with no cat, CRX, and ported upper intake. Have a new NGK 02, new NGK plugs, new cap and rotor, newer CTS, been seafoamed, run injector cleaner from time to time. What else should I address? IAT?
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

congrats on beating a car with more HP!
CincinnatiFiero

V6 1998–2002 2.5 L KL V6 170 hp (130 kW) 163 lb·ft (221 N·m)

Yeah, well it was a slight grade so I was rolling like 2mph when we went. But I kept hitting the brakes to stop, so either I got a really bad launch or I got a rolling start. Either way, we may rematch. I'm mostly concerned about my flame shooting exhaust that has torn up my muffler.
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

Haha, I search my name here, and the number of pages just keeps getting longer every time you post with that quote. :good: Keep it up. :Bravo:
CincinnatiFiero

Searching your name huh, a little vain isn't it?
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

I think that's the same engine that came in my Probe GT. Mazda-designed 2.5L v6, 164 -174 HP, depending on year and transmission. Surely you have the traction advantage.
CincinnatiFiero

Since I was rolling forward a hair I couldn't get a could wind up the revs a bit and pop the clutch launch, I actually bogged a little as I went to full throttle.

So any thoughts on the VOLTS issue, or the flames?
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

I guess let's start with the first bit of missing info: Do you lift to shift, or do you shift correctly, go pedal stays on the floor? Because lifting to shift creates a sudden, brief burst of unburned fuel into the exhaust system, it hurts emissions, and that's why the auto makers have all added various meand of closing the throttle gradually regardless of what your foot does. But if you're shifting correctly, then could it be a bad EGR allowing fresh air into the hot, rich exhaust?
CincinnatiFiero

My car is a stick, I lift off the gas to shift gears, I thought you were supposed to, that's how I've always driven. Off, clutch in, gear select, clutch out, back on the power.

My friends theory on the alt is that I don't have the belt tight enough, he said he had identical problems when he changed a belt and an alt, tightened the belt and it fixed the issue.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

Now that you mention it, I do remember, back in '96, driving an old RV that had charging problems, and started backfiring when the battery was nearly dead. It literally blew the muffler apart, but if anyone behind us saw any flames, they didn't stop to say so, and I never saw any. Lifting to shift is fine when driving for mileage, or trying to nurse a broken car home, but for racing, NOPI guys lift because they're too cheap to buy a strong-enough trans. Tested in a stock 5.0 Mustang, lift-shifting costs at least a full half second in the quarter mile. That's a bit more than a car length. Definitely the difference between winning and losing.
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

CincinnatiFiero wrote:Searching your name huh, a little vain isn't it?

Not when I'm seaching my name to find valuable information I've posted in the past. You sharpshooting me?
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

the car will shoot flames with no cat. There is nothing wrong with it. Its unburned fuel flowing through the exhaust and when it hits fresh air at the tips, it ignites. YOu might have noticed on some of my racing vids my car shoots flames when shifting or going closed throttle after being WOT. I also have no cat.
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
CincinnatiFiero

I got Rodney's "Sport Shifter" for it, I love it. Way better than any cut down.

New alternator is running well, knock on wood.

Someone gave me a west coast fiero Y pipe, now it came with WCF shorty headers, but they cracked and he lost them in his garage. The Y pipe does have the correct factory style fiero flanges and eyeballing it next to a pulled stock Y pipe it looks damn near the same. Anyone know if it will fit? I can get pics later. Removing the restriction out of the stock Y is good for a couple HP, so I'm sure this on is too. Plus the price was right.
CincinnatiFiero

This is the Y pipe I've got, does it look right to anyone?

The Y restriction appears to be less, the collector seems larger, and maybe the other pipes are larger on the whole.

Probably won't hurt my car to clean out the seized on EGR if I put this on.
CincinnatiFiero

Well my cold start doesn't leak, but at least 3 of my main injectors do. Fuck. Well ebay sets of 6 injectors go for $90 + shipping, there is a guy who has a set at a $.01 no reserve auction, its listed as Fiero Skylark 2.8 injectors hopefully only a couple people are looking for those and they'll go cheaper lol.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

You can't expect 2.8 injectors to keep up with your L67.
CincinnatiFiero

I've got two cars, well actually 4. This is an 88GT 2.8, I also have a 87 with the L67.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

Sorry, I got them mixed up. I thought you had the good L67 engine with the good '88 rear suspension. That's how I would have it, given the choice.