EDU: Cooking and recipes

A place for fun discussion of common interests we have besides Fieros

Moderator: ericjon262

Emc209i

EDU: Cooking and recipes

Post by Emc209i »

Scallop and Shrimp Fettucini

So my fucking neighbors decided to have a BBQ right below my open window this afternoon Image. I finally decided to do something about drooling all over the keyboard and went to the store to outdo them. Been missing seafood ever since the college semester began, so I made my way over to the seafood counter and it went a lil something like this....

Ingredients: I went overboard on excess novelties

Bay Scallops (1 pound) - $8.45
Shrimp (1/2 pound- cheapest stuff you can get) - $6.88
Gallon of Milk - $2.89
Two Sticks of Butter - $1.55
Three (3) boxes of quicky Fettucini Alfredo- (5 for $5.00) $3.00
White Wine - Big House White 2007 California (take your pick) $7.99
Clove of Garlic - $1.00
Tomato - $1.00
Parsley - $1.29
Cooking Oil - had it (you should too)
Salt and pepper
------------------------------
Grand Total : $34.14

Servings made: 6 (see last pictures, each serving = a metric fukton of food)
Price per serving: $5.69 per person!!!! HELL YES!! Image

So how does one create tasty aforementioned dish?

Follow the direction on the Alfredo box to make the noodles. I'm going to focus on how to make the seafood portion, being I'm sure everyone here can follow box directions well enough.

1. Dice tomato, dice garlic, shred parsley, shell and clean shrimp (I forgot this step Image)

2. I used an aluminum skillet, but I'm sure you'd get along fine with a deep pan, wok, and ofc there's the cast iron bregade (from here on refered do as skillet). Heat the skillet on medium-high heat and cover uniformly with a thin layer of cooking oil.

3. Wait for the oil to heat and add scallops. They should sizzle as soon as they hit the pan - if not, the oil's not hot enough. Immediatly salt and pepper. Let the scallops sit still for approximately a minute.

Add deshelled and cleaned shrimp. Begin stiring, flipping, tossing (elite Asian kitchen staff only). Notice that the shrimp will begin to turn from grey to red as it's cooked.

4. Wait for all scallops to turn from transperent to a white meaty color. You have to be careful here, because if you overcook the scallops, they'll be really chewy instead of moist and tender. Once you think they're about done, turn the heat down to low- medium. Add 3 tablespoons of butter.

Let the butter melt and then tilt the pan so that the butter pools in teh shrimp and scallops.

5. Once you've decided that the meat is butter soaked; add the diced garlic and stir. Remember to be conscious about the range heat, as you don't want to overcook the scallops.

6. Add veggies.

7. Add a good portion of white wine. Turn off heat and continue to stir.

8. Be overpowered by arroma. Image

9. Combine pasta and seafood.

10. Tell your friends you used to be a chef at Olive Garden. This is the first time I've ever played around with seafood, so I'm really really impressed with how tasty this stuff was. Invite a couple of girls over and serve some of the left over white wine to go with meal. The hardest decision you'll have for the rest of the night is; which one do you get your dick wet with.. Image
Last edited by Emc209i on Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CincinnatiFiero

Re: EDU: Scallop and Shrimp Fettucini

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

RFT gets better and better, smartest members (best tech), best cars, swearing, best other cars, and now recipes! Is it gay that I was hugely impressed with the quality of your photography?
Unsafe At Any Speed

Post by Unsafe At Any Speed »

CincinnatiFiero wrote:RFT gets better and better, smartest members (best tech), best cars, swearing, best other cars, and now recipes! Is it gay that I was hugely impressed with the quality of your photography?
I was actually looking at that last picture thinking "damn, that's a good pic!" It looks good, man. Good work!

Definitely a weird mix of shit on this forum.
whipped

Post by whipped »

CincinnatiFiero wrote: Is it gay that I was hugely impressed with the quality of your photography?
hahaha

I seriously thought the same thing.. like this shit should be in a magazine somewhere
My fiero is aliiiive!!
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

Lol. Image

Sounds like this was good/helpful post. I'll try to do more in the future then. Those pictures were taken with a $100 4 year old point and shoot, so I'm pretty happy with the results. The food was better than it looks, believe it or not. ... omg I want more... must restrain myself until tomorrow! *Get's bagel*
jelly2m81

Post by jelly2m81 »

Dude, you would love it here, we get fresh Scallops, Shrimp, Fish, Lobsters right off the boats...... and best part is it's free....
Jinxmutt

Post by Jinxmutt »

You had to decide between Katelyn and Lindsey? LOL
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

Katelyn won out. No, they're at the lake.
Last edited by Emc209i on Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

jelly2m81 wrote:Dude, you would love it here, we get fresh Scallops, Shrimp, Fish, Lobsters right off the boats...... and best part is it's free....
I think I love seafood so much because it's not readily available to me. If I lived on the coast, I'd probably want more steak, and less shrimp.
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

I think I might try making this later this week, since you broke it down pretty easily. Nice writeup! Unfortunately it'll be more expensive for me, being as seafood in CO is hard to get, not that great, and expensive. I'll probably overcook the scallops as well.
CincinnatiFiero wrote:RFT gets better and better, smartest members (best tech), best cars, swearing, best other cars, and now recipes! Is it gay that I was hugely impressed with the quality of your photography?
And pedophiles. Go drill your daughter some more fucking pedo.
Emc209i wrote: I think I love seafood so much because it's not readily available to me. If I lived on the coast, I'd probably want more steak, and less shrimp.
Same here.

Next time I do steak, I'll put the recipe up that I use to marinade it. It flavors the steak quite a bit, but it's fantastic.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
Jinxmutt

Re: EDU: Cooking and recipes

Post by Jinxmutt »

Kind of off topic, but have you browsed the beer section of total wine? I picked up another random 6 while I was there before going to CV. Its no turbo, but yet another surprisingly good choice.
lucky

Post by lucky »

Looks, good. My stomach is rumbling. Next time try adding the wine before the butter, keep the pan hot to cook off the alcohol and deglaze the pan, you'll smell the alcohol as it evaporates, then add the butter and simmer briefly.

Cast Iron FTW. You'll see my 16" skillet below. I've got a great recipe for a beer bread that's baked in a cast iron dutch oven, I'll post it if anyone's interested. Store bought bread is ruined for me now.

I love picking up random beer. Some good ones I've found recently are DAB, Longtrail Blackbeary Wheat, and Mickelson Triple Stout.

What I had for dinner yesterday..

My buddy Jorge and his new friend..

Josh got a little too excited when he saw what I put on the salad spinner at work..
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

Haha emc and I were talking about eggplant like an hour ago, but when I cooked one it didn't have a dong.
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

Yeah man, post away! I changed the thread to cooking and recipes so that everyone can add to it, and we'll just make this the "food and cooking" thread.

Cincibunny's eggplant didn't have le penis tho.
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

Alright, I went shopping today, and picked up what I needed to make this. $45 later I was out (I started with more stuff than you, and that's without the wine!) They didn't have Bay Scallops, so I got Sea Scallops. I also went a bit overboard on the wine, but that was by choice.

We'll see how it turns out on Thursday...
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Oh just you guys wait until the spearfishing season picks up...

But until then, I do have a lot more to share. I'll take some pics and make a recipe of my World Famous Nachos tomorrow.
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

Wow, I knew sea scallops were expensive, but I didn't think they'd be $10 more. Anyway, post pictures when you get it all cooked up.

Can't wait Steven! I'd really like to see how you cook all that fish you kill. Also an EDU on abalone would be amazing.
coinage

Post by coinage »

Damn it...now I'm fucking starving for some seafood Alfredo, only 6 hours until I'm off work...damn
86GT 4sp
94 LQ1, 60-1 Garrett BB Turbo-A/W IC-ARP main studs,head studs,rod bolts-QM twin disk clutch/button flywheel-Ported heads/intakes-50lb/hr injectors-Fully balanced-88 cradle swap-Held adjustable solid rear links-12" brakes-Chase Cage-
lucky

Post by lucky »

Beer shortage corrected.

BEER BREAD
Dry
3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon instant or rapid rise yeast
1 1/2 teaspoons salt

Wet
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons water (7 ounces), at room temperature
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons any Lager (3 ounces)
1 tablespoon vinegar

Also
Non stick cooking spray
Olive oil
Additional flour for dusting

Method

In a large bowl, whisk together all dry ingredients.
Add liquid and fold with a rubber spatula until a shaggy ball forms.

Briefly knead the dough by hand until it is slightly more smooth.
The beer and the vinegar are what flavor this bread. Baking is chemistry, you can stray a little from the formula for flavor, in this case I'm using Sam Boston Lager and an aged balsamic from modena. This bread will be very dark and slightly sour. The last one I made I used a white vinegar and DAB, a very pale, German, bottom fermented, blond lager; it was golden brown and had a nutty flavor to it.
Image The glass shows how much beer is left open after the 3 ounces used in the recipe. Be sure to dispose of it properly.

Cover bowl tightly with plastic wrap and let sit at room temperature for 8 to 18 hours.

Lay a sheet of parchment in a 10in skillet.
Spray the parchment with non-stick cooking spray.
Remove the dough from the bowl, place on a lightly floured surface, and knead 10 to 15 times.
Shape dough into a ball by pulling the edges into the middle, place seam side down on the prepared parchment.
Rub ball lightly with olive oil, and press plastic wrap against its surface.

Allow to rise in a warm place until it has doubled in size (about 2 hours).
Half an hour before baking adjust oven rack to lowest position, place Dutch oven (with lid) on rack and heat oven to 500deg.
Remove plastic from dough and lightly flour the top. Slice the top of the dough with a razor blade or very sharp knife.
Use the parchment as a sling to transfer the dough to the pre-heated dutch oven.
Place back in the oven, covered and turn the temperature down to 425.
Bake covered for 30 minutes, remove lid and bake another 20 to 30 minutes until bread is deep golden brown (instant read thermometer inserted into center reads 210deg).
Remove from pot and cool on a wire rack for 45 minutes to an hour.

The bread is best the day it's baked, but can be kept wrapped in aluminum foil in a cool dry place for a couple days. Try to time it so it's ready to eat when the rest of the meal is. Or as an appetizer try it with the spinach dip from the Lipton instant vegetable soup mix box.

To serve as a bread bowl for dip or soup, core the bread with a large serrated knife.

Fill with dip or soup, cube the core for dipping. Keep a knife handy to hack at the bowl once you run out of cubes.
Last edited by lucky on Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:35 am, edited 7 times in total.
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

I'm gonna try this.