EDU: Cooking and recipes

A place for fun discussion of common interests we have besides Fieros

Moderator: ericjon262

Emc209i

Re: EDU: Cooking and recipes

Post by Emc209i »

Chicken in White Wine Sauce

Made this the other night with the leftover white wine. Nothing that will blow your mind, but I thought I'd post it. Was cheap to make.

Ingredients:
Chicken - depends on how hungry you are
Cooking oil - enough for pan
3Tbs. Butter
Milk or cream - 2cups
Salt & Pepper
White wine
Sliced white mushroom

1. Cover pan in cooking oil. Heat oil until hot. Add chicken.

2. Salt and pepper chicken, flip, add butter.

3. Slice and add mushrooms.

4. Add wine to the mix

5. In a separate pot, add the 2cups of milk and 1 cup of water, heat mixture at medium heat, stirring continuously. The object is to reduce the liquid into a creamy sauce. Once it looks saucy, add it to the skillet/pan/wok/whatever.

6. Serve. I didn't cook anything to go with it, but adding some veggies or something would add some color.

Fried Rice with Steak and Shrimp Sauce (white sauce, yum yum sauce, etc)
Delic!!

Ingredients:

For Fried Rice:
Meat of any choice (pork, steak, chicken, cat)
Spicy Sausage (opt.)
Pees (frozen, canned) - 1 cup
Yellow onion & Green onions
Rice - 1 cup
Eggs - 2
Mushrooms - sliced
Garlic powder
Soy Sauce

For Shrimp Sauce:
Mayonnaise - 2.5 Cups
Water - half Cup
Tomato Paste - 2 Teaspoons
Melted Butter - 2 Tbspoons
Garlic Powder - 1 Teaspoon
Sugar - 2 Teaspoons
Paprika - half Teaspoon
Cayenne Pepper - Dash

Fried Rice:

1. Make 1 cup of rice, which should feed up to four people. It takes rice about 30 mins to cook, so get that going and start in on the meat and veggies while you wait.
-1 cup of rice
-2.5 cups of water
Bring water to a boil and stir in rice. Immediatly cover the pot with a lid, and allow to simmer for 30-40 minuted, or until the water is completely soaked up by the rice. Don't open the lid to check for at least 30 mins. While you're waiting:

2. Cook steak and sausage.

3. Prepare other ingredients. Dice onions, slice shrooms, measure pees, etc.

4. Cover skillet in oil.

5. Add rice and stir.

6. Add two eggs into the rice. Chop and stir rice vigorously in order to chunk up the egg. You don't want a rice patty egg.

I added three eggs, because I was trying to use up the eggs before they expired. Three was too many. Two is a better idea.

7. Add soy sauce and stir until rice is same color.

8. Add pees.

9. Add everything else!

10. Stir until mushrooms look cooked. Everything should be warm and cooked by now.

11. Serve with some veggies. I used the extra pees I prepared. :)

Now, the best part about this meal is the sauce... Ever go to a Japanese steak house, and they have that pinkish sauce? Its good isn't it?! Well no one seems to have any idea how to make the stuff..

So I spent about an hour browsing the interwebs to try and find some insight. I came across several recipes that were supposed to be close, but the user comments were sort of harsh, so I kept looking. I finally found this site: http://www.japanese-steakhouse-white-sauce.com/

I followed the directions and chilled it overnight. It even smells like the same stuff! I'm really impressed. The directions I listed at the top of the page are for making a double portion of this goodness. It also does get better after sitting in the fridge for a night. It's sort of pricey collecting all of the ingredients you need, but I really only need to get more mayo to make several more batches with all of the stuff I bought, so hopefully the next batch will be much cheaper.

REALLY good meal!
jelly2m81

Re: EDU: Scallop and Shrimp Fettucini

Post by jelly2m81 »

Emc209i wrote:
jelly2m81 wrote:Dude, you would love it here, we get fresh Scallops, Shrimp, Fish, Lobsters right off the boats...... and best part is it's free....
I think I love seafood so much because it's not readily available to me. If I lived on the coast, I'd probably want more steak, and less shrimp.

Your exactly right, eventually ( like 35+ years later ) you don't crave that stuff. I only particuliarly enjoy a good meal of Halibut or Haddock anymore.

Random pic of the Fiero's next to an old school offshore Scallop dragger
lucky

Post by lucky »

Pink sauce.. drool

6 hours to bread. Gonna go hit the store so I can make the bread bowl with spinach dip.

Spinach Dip

A while back I doubled the recipe and dressed it up a bit, that's what I made again tonight.

16 ounces sour cream
15 ounces mayo
2 packets vegetable soup and dip mix
10 oz frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
3/4 cup finely shredded fresh romano cheese
1/4 cup diced sundried tomatoes

Mix all ingredients in a medium sized bowl with a tight fitting lid.
Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.

Beer bread step by step is up.
Indy

Post by Indy »

Damn...This was NOT the right thread to read during my post-study munchies
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

Chicken breasts
Slices hard salami
Slices muenster cheese
2 eggs
flour
bread crumbs
garlic cloves
salt and pepper
oil

Ignore my beat to hell hands.

Roll in flour.

Lather up breasts with beaten egg. Roll in Bread crumbs.

Oil bottom of pan. Deep fry chickens.

jelly2m81

Post by jelly2m81 »

You keep making me hungry! Dammit!.:D
Jinxmutt

Post by Jinxmutt »

So THAT's what is in the fridge. Yesterday I was like, eh, whazzat? Now I know. Don't be mad if thye're gone when you wake up. LOL
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

Hey, do you know how I know you're gay? You talk to each other from other sides of the apartment on a forum. Wow. Why don't you two set up your webcams and cyber? Lolz
Jinxmutt

Post by Jinxmutt »

He is never awake during normal hours. He sleeps from like 8am-8pm, lol. Although that is a slight exaggeration, we really don't cross paths much even living in the same place. Our schedules differ greatly as far as classes, eating times, etc.
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

I've been hibernating like a bear, plus I have this crazy routine of studying the entire night before an exam. So if there's ever a heavy exam week, I'm never around in the daytime unless I make efforts to stay awake for anything special. I made those chicken wraps at like 8-9am two mornings ago. No one was awake, but they all recount smelling chicken.
lucky

Post by lucky »

Gnocchi in Browned Butter

Delicious and cheap (everything was less than $5, not including the oil, vinegar and cheese).
Makes 3-4 sides or 2 entrees.
1 pound plain Gnocchi
1 medium red onion
3 cloves garlic
1/4 cup olive oil
1 T balsamic vinegar
1 stick salted butter
2 T dried basil
salt

1. Julienne the onion.

2. Heat the oil over high heat until it just starts to smoke. Turn the heat down to medium, add the onion, minced garlic, and sprinkle with salt (preferably kosher salt, but any will do).
3. Toss the onions with the oil and garlic, and start to brown them.
4. Meanwhile, start a small pot of water to boil with some salt and oil in it, and a large pot of water to simmer with a colander and lid set in it.
Don't crowd the pan with the gnocchi, I cooked this pound in 4 batches. When they float they're done, skim them off, put them in the colander, and repeat.
5. Continue stirring/tossing the onions until they are carmelized.
6. Add the butter and basil.
7. Simmer until the the butter begins to brown, and the mixture starts to smell like caramel.
Add the vinegar, and stir to combine. The mixture will boil briefly, and the strong odor of vinegar will be released.
8. Add the gnocchi and toss to coat.
Serve with a generous sprinkle of fresh romano.
Jinxmutt

Post by Jinxmutt »

^ I want that.
lucky

Post by lucky »

I'm eating the leftovers right now. It's still delicious.

You really can probably get away with 1/2 to 3/4 of a stick of butter to a pound of gnocchi, as you can see in the last pic there's quite a bit of butter sauce in the bottom of the bowl. I've got a recipe for gnocchi from scratch if anyone's interested, I haven't tried it though, I'm ok with store bought (I got 2 pounds today for $1.69 each).
Blue Shift

Post by Blue Shift »

I've always been overwhelmingly thankful that I can get by on the most mediocre, artery hardening, heart stopping, gut building foods imagineable. Nonetheless, there's quite a bit of artistry in cooking food that I can appreciate.
lucky

Post by lucky »

I love watching cooking shows. I get a lot of my ideas by just trying to make something close to what I've seen with what I've got on hand. I wish I had opportunity to be creative at work, but it's all just follow the formula as fast as possible; so I really go nuts at home for very little reason. Last night's dinner was bacon wrapped fillets with grilled vegetable kabobs and spanish rice.
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

Jinxmutt wrote:Kind of off topic, but have you browsed the beer section of total wine? I picked up another random 6 while I was there before going to CV. Its no turbo, but yet another surprisingly good choice.
I just noticed this for the first time in a year and a half.... Sorry I didn't respond way back when.

I think I'm going to keep up the tradition and pick up a random 6'r from total wine tonight, along with post up what we're planning for dinner here. I'm eating an Emc special of pasta, mushroom soup, and Italian bread crumbs mixed together for lunch.. Bleh.

Back to the top.