Bigger Parts

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

Atilla the Fun

Bigger Parts

Post by Atilla the Fun »

To go along with my LS4, I want better braking. Spending my money on the LS4, I wanted my better braking to be free. So I just took the entire front suspension off the '97 Bonneville. The brake rotors are thicker and vented as well as larger diameter. That's all good, except that it adds (unsprung) weight, making the car even more tail heavy. Also, no parking brake. That's bad, but resolvable. Not sure how, yet.
That's not all. How about the ball joints? Again, I have no clue, yet. If there is an issue, I do have the Bonneville's lower arms, but that might not match the cradle, and might affect my track width.
Other concerns include the tie rods, and the CV joints.
Opposite the balljoints, going coilover will resolve any issues with that.
For me the best part, tied with the braking, is the lug pattern. I can press the studs out and have them drilled for 5 on 114.3, which is beyond impractical for stock '84-'87 Fiero rear hubs. Opens up a world of wheel choices.
Ok guys, please gimme your input, and any links. I have searched both forums, and I learned a bit, but there must be more to consider, and maybe new ideas.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Re: Bigger Parts

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

The same thing but easier is the swapping in the entire hub carrier from an A-body with HD brakes. It gives you 10.5x1 rotors, larger calipers, 5x115 bearings & pattern and larger outer CV joints. It also eliminates the parking brake.

The big difference is that the A-body hardware bolts in place of the Fiero hardware (for 84-87 cars, anyway).
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

I "discovered" the F-body brake upgrade...
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

Cool, now we know who to give credit to. Double thanks, Will! First for discovering it, then for saying so. And I'm not being sarcastic. I figured I'd provide a link, while I was looking at the thread. I'm a good guy like that. I figure that if a body is going to do the hub swap, they may as well do this also, and it wouldn't have to be at the same time, but it would be desirable and beneficial. I'm not going to be trying the F-car brake parts upgrade in the remainder of 2009, I have too much else to do that must take precedence. But by November we should know if an '84-'87 Fiero can take advantage of '97 Bonneville parts.