My second AutoX

Dragstrip, autocross, and all track posts go here.

Moderator: Series8217

Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

My second AutoX

Post by Aaron »

I didn't take the Fiero, because I didn't get my IC reservoir on in time, and I didn't want to run without it for a few reasons. So instead I took the Camaro SS. All stock, just put a set of Nitto 555 street tires on it (And they hook really well). For those of who who think F-body's handle like shit, I beg to differ. This Camaro rocks. It would destroy most every Fiero on this forum. The car was extremely stable, extremely predictable, easy to play with beyond the limits, and didn't bite very hard when I fucked up. I've never truly driven a Camaro this hard, but I was impressed. The LS1 was fantastic, and the gearing was even better. I could run almost the entire course in 1st gear (Up to about 40-45mph), but when I needed 2nd, it had enough torque to still be competitive. And boy did it sound good.

I never knew a Camaro could understeer, but alas, it can. There were only 2-3 corners in which it did, and generally it happened when I was off the throttle, on a tight corner. At the end of the corner, I could immediately go wide open, and it'd go sideways, but still accelerate and be completely in control. It was a shear pleasure to drive on the edge, and I had a complete blast as usual.

No pics or videos, sorry. Next time I'm going to take the Fiero on 14psi, and have a camera.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Re: My second AutoX

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

When I was in college, another student had a 1LE LS1 car and with DOT legal race tires brought back FTD--or at least fastest with fenders--every time.
emod19

Post by emod19 »

Aaron wrote: I could run almost the entire course in 1st gear (Up to about 40-45mph)

Sounds like you had a Miata driver design the course.

Steve
1985 Mazda RX7 w/400 sbc
Removed it's soul, Gave it some balls.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Probably. There were probably 6 Miatas running. Only 2 beat me, the rest were pretty much stockish. Both of the ones that beat me were supercharged, one was in SSM class, it was a purpose built AutoX car, and set the FTD.

There were a surprising number of WRXs too. I'm not sure why, they weren't that quick, but I guess a lot of people like to race em.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Unsafe At Any Speed

Post by Unsafe At Any Speed »

Bring the Camaro up to High Plains Raceway April 18th and 19th.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Aaron wrote:There were a surprising number of WRXs too. I'm not sure why, they weren't that quick, but I guess a lot of people like to race em.
I hung out with a lot of import guys when the WRX was first sold here in the states. They were very hyped and a whole bunch of guys bought them before they realized that the cars are not actually that fast.

They are, however, VERY easy to drive WAY too hard.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

WRXs, Miatas and STIs are about the fastest cars I race against. They design a tight course that suits them.

Steering with the left pedal is fun eh?
Nashco

Post by Nashco »

AWD + Turbo = A hell of a lot of fun

My Saabaru (WRX wagon in sheep's clothing) is only mid-pack in bone stock form (no camber, 16" all seasons, etc.) but it's a hell of a lot of fun to drive on a closed course. The Subies really need a bigger course to shine in stock form, but even on a tight course they can scoot pretty good with a good setup (bars, camber, exhaust, tires, tune) and a good driver. Like Will said, they're easy to drive at the limit, very forgiving of a bad driver (although obviously not as fast).

Bryce
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

A lot of fun no doubt, but they weren't very fast from what I saw (Could have been they all sucked at driving though). The fastest of their niche was an Evo, but I could clearly tell while working he also was the best driver. My times were considerably better than all of the WRX/Evos there.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Got a link to the times/standings?
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Bump?

I want to see how your camaro compared to the miatas, STIs and Evos...
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I don't think it's been posted yet, let me check again.

Ok it is up. Looking at it, I was a bit off of course. I was just going off what I was able to hear as they crossed the line, so that didn't account for cones, DNFs, and the classes run before/during mine. I was 77/120 total, which I'm pretty happy with. Remember, I'm 100% stock, full weight, street tires! And I'm int he wrong class, shouldn't be A-Stock. Not sure what I class I should have been in...But in A-stock, the 3 S2000s beat me (Hoosier's ftw), but I bitch slapped the E46 M3!

http://www.rmsolo.org/msp_eventpts.php?rep=2_20090314WS
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
befarrer

Post by befarrer »

A good drive in AutoX makes a huge difference. Last autoX I beat a 2008 Z06 Corvette 2 seconds, an 87 with a V6 by 10 seconds, and an 84 duke powered Fiero by 8 seconds.