3.4 dohc and notch to fastback

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

Hollywood

3.4 dohc and notch to fastback

Post by Hollywood »

Sorry to be short and to the point. I have been typing on this ragedy computer that my apartment complex has provided and it keeps ^&**(^*(%&** up Im extremely irritated. This is the really short version of whats going on. I have 3 fieros 84 86 88. I started a swap on the 88. Notchback to fastback from my 86 parts car. Havent been able to drive my 88 since. Lights have different wiring and fastback wont fit in to its place near doors above rear quarter panel. I also have a 3.4DOHC sitting on the 86 cradle that i want in my 88. If someone helps me finish my 88 i will give them my 84 Notchback as payment and thanks. Any questions feel free to respond on here or email me at v3rn0n5@gmail.com.
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Re: 3.4 dohc and notch to fastback

Post by Aaron »

86 cradle won't go in the 88, put the 3.4 DOHC on an 88 cradle, and put that in the 88.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
Hollywood

Post by Hollywood »

Thanks that helps tremendously. Saved a ton of time from trying to fit it and figure out why it wont work! Any thing else? Anyone? Any tips on the wiring behind the tail lights? What are the relay for and the thing its plugged into under the trunk carpet?
fieromadman

Post by fieromadman »

What thing under the trunk carpet, and I would think that you just need to swap over the connectors for the tail lights. I'm sure that you can either find out what pins go where by testing or find a diagram online. I've never had to deal with that though.

And were you the guy that wanted the dogbone that I used to use on my setup? I found it if you want to purchase it... Should work with everything except the 96-97 intake manifolds.
*SOLD* 95 3.4 DOHC- 96-97 p&p lower intake, custom upper intake, custom cams, ported exh manis, 180* t-stat.
T-62 Turbonetics T3/T4, air-liquid intercooled, Synapse 40mm, Greddy RS, Haltech E6K.
1987 GT, lowered, KYB's, clutchnet 6 puck, G/A brakes
Hollywood

Post by Hollywood »

Here are pictures of the sockets that are connected to my fastback light wiring harness that were not on the notchback light harness. Anyone have a clue what they are for?
Image, Image, Image, Image, Image
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

I believe the relay and the 2 pin next to it go to the trunk mounted blower that cools the ignition coil and alternator in 85-87 V6 cars.

The orange and white two pin might be trunk lighting.

The 4 pin might be the "Pontiac" lighting in between the tail lights on the notch back.

However, I don't have my manuals here, so I could be wrong about any/all. I'm most confident about the relay.
lucky

Post by lucky »

Yes on the blower, and on the trunk light wiring. Not sure on the rest.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

The Dark Side of Will wrote: The 4 pin might be the "Pontiac" lighting in between the tail lights on the notch back.
5 pin, you idiot. That's the cruise servo.

These harnesses came from opposite sides of the engine bay, right?
Hollywood

Post by Hollywood »

Yes the 5pin and the relay are on opposite sides of the harness. Cruise servo? What exactly is that? And i take it if i dont have cruise control i dont need it right?
Fastback86

Post by Fastback86 »

Hollywood wrote:Yes the 5pin and the relay are on opposite sides of the harness. Cruise servo? What exactly is that? And i take it if i dont have cruise control i dont need it right?
The cruise servo is what actually pulls and holds the throttle body open when you're using cruise control. If you don't have cruise control on your car, you won't have the servo and that connector will just be tucked away somewhere. If you don't ever plan on adding cruise control to your car, you can remove that wiring from the harness.
<Insert Sig Here>
Hollywood

Post by Hollywood »

So what this boils down to is that my lights aren't working properly but its not because none of that stuff is plugged in, its just because im a dumb ass! Awesome lol
Hollywood

Post by Hollywood »

Hopefully these are my last two questions and i will be able to install these lights in working order today! One... There is some type of ground wire on the same side of the relay and two pin...
http://i668.photobucket.com/albums/vv43 ... G00121.jpg
Any clue what that is to? And two... There is some type of past in each light socket. Not sure what it is and have never seen it before maybe its just because the harness is so old.
http://i668.photobucket.com/albums/vv43 ... G00122.jpg
Anyone else seen it, is that supposed to be there? I see that in some cases it blocks the contacts... I'm thinking, hoping that its something that simple keeping the lights from working properly.
Xanth

Post by Xanth »

All I think I can see is a wad of that bulb grease autozone pushes on you whenever you try to buy a bulb. Or is there something else there you're referring too?
lucky

Post by lucky »

He's talking about the peanut butter-like compound GM used as a dielectric in the taillight sockets on the fiero.

Don't bother cleaning it out of the back, but get it out of the contacts and use a regular dielectric.