Should I or should I not resurface my flywheel?

General Fiero Maintenance including oil changes, air filters, suspension refreshes, restorations, painting, etc.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

fieromadman

Should I or should I not resurface my flywheel?

Post by fieromadman »

Well I posted this in my build thread, but I figured I would post it again here to get the most exposure. Usually I'm the type of a guy that would just take it off and have it done, but I think that they would just laugh at me if I took this in to have it resurfaced.

I pulled the tranny apart from the engine to resurface the flywheel. When I was able to look at the contact area of the flywheel I remembered why I didnt bother with it last fall when I put the clutch in. It still has the cutting tool marks on it from when it was originally surfaced on the lathe. Also there appears to be no hot spots. So I took a couple of pictures of it an I would like your guys opinion on what I should do. The rusty surface area does not come in contact with the clutch disc btw.

Let me know what you think...
*SOLD* 95 3.4 DOHC- 96-97 p&p lower intake, custom upper intake, custom cams, ported exh manis, 180* t-stat.
T-62 Turbonetics T3/T4, air-liquid intercooled, Synapse 40mm, Greddy RS, Haltech E6K.
1987 GT, lowered, KYB's, clutchnet 6 puck, G/A brakes
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Re: Should I or should I not resurface my flywheel?

Post by crzyone »

I don't think it's necessary but it couldn't hurt. Resurfacing the flywheel will get rid of any areas that might be more worn than other areas and true it up.

A new clutch on a used flywheel might have uneven engagement and feel like chatter.

Your flywheel looks really good though, no real wear marks that I can see. You must be quick on engagement and not much slipping.
TheFieroBoy

Post by TheFieroBoy »

If it were me, I'd just hit it with some fine sandpaper (to get rid of any glazing) and roll with it. That flywheel looks almost perfect.
fieromadman

Post by fieromadman »

I know it couldn't hurt but I don't know if it would even be worthwhile. And yeah I'm usually really quick to engage. That was a lot of the reason I was doing pretty shitty off the line at the track last summer, I wouldn't slip it out a little to prevent tire spin and get into the powerband.

And as far as chatter goes... Umm you haven't seen the clutch and pressure plate I'm running, have you? lol It's going to chatter no matter what.
*SOLD* 95 3.4 DOHC- 96-97 p&p lower intake, custom upper intake, custom cams, ported exh manis, 180* t-stat.
T-62 Turbonetics T3/T4, air-liquid intercooled, Synapse 40mm, Greddy RS, Haltech E6K.
fieromadman

Post by fieromadman »

Define "fine sandpaper..."

Even though that sounds ghetto I think about 500 grit or so wouldn't hurt it or get it out of true if I were to use a sanding block and lightly go over it. This sounds like a reasonable idea. I just want to be able to get the tranny and engine back together and the longer I contemplate this the longer its going to be before that happens.
jelly2m81

Post by jelly2m81 »

Was that flywheel turned on a lathe? I never seen tool marks left on a flywheel surface like that.

All the flywheels I have resurfaced are done on a mill and then a rotating grinding stone is run over it to finish the surface.

They end up without any continuial tool marks like a lathe, pretty much looking like a new rotor out of a box.

TheFieroBoy

Post by TheFieroBoy »

fieromadman wrote:Define "fine sandpaper..."
About 120 grit. Anything finer than that will probably just float over the grooves, only touching the high spots.
fieromadman

Post by fieromadman »

Jelly: That flywheel was a brand new GM flywheel when I first did the swap. Purchased it off gmpartsdirect.com for an 88 Fiero application. I know what you're saying though about the tool marks, come to think of it thats not really normal. Perhaps I will have it resurfaced because of that. The place that I would have it resurfaced is a precision grinding shop that my friends dad owns, so it would turn out like the flywheel you had pictured.

TheFieroBoy: Thanks for your advice, just think I'll take the time and money to have this one done right to re-assure myself that it wont be a problem.
TheFieroBoy

Post by TheFieroBoy »

Yeah, that works too. ;)

Come to think of it, my SPEC pressure plate has the same pattern of grooves on it. My flywheel doesn't, though.
jelly2m81

Post by jelly2m81 »

fieromadman wrote:Jelly: That flywheel was a brand new GM flywheel when I first did the swap. Purchased it off gmpartsdirect.com for an 88 Fiero application. I know what you're saying though about the tool marks, come to think of it thats not really normal.
Cool, you knew what I was on about without me having to get technicial!

Don't ask me what that white shit is in the center of the flywheel I posted, it was like that when I took it apart and didnt wipe off, nor did it wash off with brake cleaner when I washed it down before installing the clutch so it went back together that way.
fieromadman

Post by fieromadman »

Coolent from cutting maybe? I dunno, but yeah I'm taking tool and die courses, so that stuff is pretty familiar to me.
Honest Don

Post by Honest Don »

I would maybe spray it down with brake cleaner and run it. Don't use sandpaper or you WILL have to resurface it, I learned that lesson at 17
fieromadman

Post by fieromadman »

hmmmm...

Yup, still torn on my decision.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

If you are torn, then you might as well be safe than sorry. Get it resurfaced. Doesn't cost much.
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

Have you thought about getting an aluminum flywheel?
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
fieromadman

Post by fieromadman »

I have and then I considered how I should really throw the 350 bucks towards tuning instead of an aluminum flywheel that wouldn't do too much for me. I have one in the eclipse and I'm not too fond actually.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

The driveability issues won't be as bad on a 3.4 since it makes much more torque off boost and the Fiero is an equal weight or lighter car.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

My 3.4 DOHC is noticeably less forgiving of civil, everyday launches than the other 3.4 88GT I built for Lonzo (Stock flywheel, SPec 3 clutch), his was really smooth off the line, where mine stutters a bit if you don't focus on riding the clutch for a little. But it is in no way difficult, nor does it really take away from the car at all. I'm happy with it, so much so that we're putting an aluminum flywheel on the N* car as well (Albeit it with a Clutchnet clutch).

I think it's very dependent on the particular car. We put a Spec 3 with an aluminum flywheel in my friend's 98 Cavy Z24 (2.4 DOHC), and it is literally an on/off switch. It is miserable to drive, and you have to focus intently every time the light turns green.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
fieromadman

Post by fieromadman »

All in all, I would rather save the money right now and just get this one resurfaced, which should be done tomorrow perhaps.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I can't argue that, they are expensive.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo