Best assembly lube?

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Best assembly lube?

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

What's the "best" assembly lube? I'm putting my Northstar back together and would like some darn good assembly lube to do it. Cam break-in is not an issue since the cams/lifters are used (same as on the old shortblock).

Summit P/N CRN-99004-1 is for a tub of paste-like stuff from Crane. Is this only for new cam flat tappet cam lobes? The blurb says not to use it where it may impede oil flow... does that mean bearings?

Should I just not worry about it?

Also, what's a good source for super heavy duty pipe cleaners for cleaning out the oil holes in the crank (and block for that matter)?
CincinnatiFiero

Re: Best assembly lube?

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

I've heard good things about Royal Purples, but I have no firsthand experience.
befarrer

Post by befarrer »

Lubriplate?
fieromadman

Post by fieromadman »

I've used redline for all the internal work that I've done... King Motorsports swears by it. P/N's: RL-ASSL16 RL-ASSL4 (16oz and 4oz)
*SOLD* 95 3.4 DOHC- 96-97 p&p lower intake, custom upper intake, custom cams, ported exh manis, 180* t-stat.
T-62 Turbonetics T3/T4, air-liquid intercooled, Synapse 40mm, Greddy RS, Haltech E6K.
1987 GT, lowered, KYB's, clutchnet 6 puck, G/A brakes
Nashco

Post by Nashco »

POWER LUBE! If nothing else, the name is cool. I've used Redline and Lucas stuff before too...all seemed to work fine except for cylinder walls, consult your piston ring manufacturer for their recommendation. It seems different types of rings like different assembly lubes for proper break in, in my experience.

Bryce
lucky

Post by lucky »

An old customer of mine, Ralph, said that when he used lucas synthetic oil stabilizer as assembly lube he got 3 times the lifespan out of the lifters in bob tasca jr's 3500 horse funny car.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

lucky wrote:An old customer of mine, Ralph, said that when he used lucas synthetic oil stabilizer as assembly lube he got 3 times the lifespan out of the lifters in bob tasca jr's 3500 horse funny car.
Interesting... tell me more...
lucky

Post by lucky »

Such as?

Ralph has been affiliated with Tasca, and their racing efforts since Bob Sr built one of the first cobra jet 428's in the 60's. He's in his 80's now, still travels all over the country with Bob jr, as his head mechanic. His words to me literally were "..since we switched to synthetic lucas as an assembly lube, we get 9 runs out of the lifters instead of 3."
Blue Shift

Post by Blue Shift »

Must be losing my mind - swore I replied to this before?

Anyways, I doubt you're planning on using the stuff, but avoid Sta-Lube moly graphite assembly lube - I used some to keep my lifters in their bores and to lube up the cams. It didn't want to smear over the smooth lobes well, sorta beading up. But the worst part is that after tearing the engine down later (main/rod bearing failure due to contaminants in the oil), the stuff was still slathered all over the cam carriers - it does not dissolve. I tried mixing some into some clean engine oil without success. Oh, and it was labeled "Ass Lube", which is another bad omen, heh.

I've had good luck assembling all my shit with Redline assembly lube.
teamlseep13

Post by teamlseep13 »

Get 4 tubes of Lubriplate 105, squirt them all into a big mason jar.
add two heaping teaspoons of moly powder, preferably from dow corning
add about 1/4 qt of straight 30w oil, brand dont matter
mix as well as u can
thats what i use to do any motor at work since gm disc. their EOS
1988 Pontiac Fiero

Ecotec swap taking much too long...