Race Helmet

Dragstrip, autocross, and all track posts go here.

Moderator: Series8217

Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Race Helmet

Post by Series8217 »

I need an SA95 / SA2000 helmet for when I go to Willow Springs next month and so I can run sub 14 ETs at the strip. Any tips on picking a helmet? I noticed there are open faced and full face SA2000 helmets...
I have a budget of $250 max but would prefer to spent between $150 and $200 if possible. Is it a bad idea to get a used helmet?
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Re: Race Helmet

Post by Aaron »

Series8217 wrote:I need an SA95 / SA2000 helmet for when I go to Willow Springs next month and so I can run sub 14 ETs at the strip. Any tips on picking a helmet? I noticed there are open faced and full face SA2000 helmets...
I have a budget of $250 max but would prefer to spent between $150 and $200 if possible. Is it a bad idea to get a used helmet?
eBay.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
p8ntman442
cant get enough of this site!

Re: Race Helmet

Post by p8ntman442 »

Series8217 wrote: Is it a bad idea to get a used helmet?
Used as in worn, as long as they dont have lice, and the helmets not too old, its good.

used as in crash tested..... bad
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Willow springs requires a helmet for sub 14 times?

Is it an NHRA track?

NHRA I think is sub 13's you need a helmet.

Are you positive you will crack into the 13's?

I have been to the track multiple times and most of the time the tracks dont' require a helmet unless you are sub 13's and most of the time they are even pretty lax on that.
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

http://www.racerwholesale.com/catalog/

I would buy a SA2005.

I also wouldn't buy a used helmet but that's me.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Shaun41178(2) wrote:Willow springs requires a helmet for sub 14 times?

Is it an NHRA track?

NHRA I think is sub 13's you need a helmet.

Are you positive you will crack into the 13's?

I have been to the track multiple times and most of the time the tracks dont' require a helmet unless you are sub 13's and most of the time they are even pretty lax on that.
A) I'm going to Willow Springs, which is a road course. I have to have an SA95 / SA2000 (or higher) helmet no matter what.
B) I'm going to Infineon Raceway, which has a drag strip. The rules say a helmet is required for all runs quicker than 14.00 seconds. I don't know that I will break into the 13s my first time out but I most certainly will when I go again. Darth Fiero ran 14.17 with a completely stock 3.4 DOHC and broken transmission mount at a higher altitude. My motor is freshly rebuilt, balanced and blueprinted, heads decked, and 13 degree cam retard.. not to mention I dont have to worry about a broken tranny mount while launching. I'm sure thats all good for .2 seconds.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

eHoward wrote:http://www.racerwholesale.com/catalog/

I would buy a SA2005.

I also wouldn't buy a used helmet but that's me.
Apparently the 2005 helmets aren't available yet. I'm going to the track in a few weeks so.... wont be getting one of those unless they show up before this weekend.

Thanks for the link, though. They seem to have fairly decent prices, though if they charge more than $8 for shipping I think Summit has the better deal.
A helmet like this would be good if I end up getting SA2005?
http://www.racerwholesale.com/catalog/p ... cts_id=559

What about open face vs full face? The $100 price diff is tempting. I also see they have "hybrids" with an open face but they have a chin bar.
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

I would buy a full face simply because I might use it on a motorcycle, but that's me. For driving with an instructor the open face is nice though because you can talk easier.

I don't see a problem with the one you picked out.

I would look up the rules to the event you're going to and see if you can use an M2000 helmet. If you can, I would go to a bike shop and just buy a bike helmet. You can buy a lot nicer bike helmet for $250 then that SA one.
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

why not roll with an SA2000?

http://store.yahoo.com/soloracerdotcom/ ... lmets.html
and some on clearance
http://store.yahoo.com/soloracerdotcom/ ... 20hel.html

under some well under 200$

and something to think about with sa vs motorcycle helmets

SA standard requires flammability test while the M standard does not.
SA standard has rollbar impact test while M standard does not.
SA standard allows narrower visual field than M standard (Some SA helmets aren't street legal)
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

eHoward wrote:I would look up the rules to the event you're going to and see if you can use an M2000 helmet. If you can, I would go to a bike shop and just buy a bike helmet. You can buy a lot nicer bike helmet for $250 then that SA one.
Kohburn wrote:and something to think about with sa vs motorcycle helmets

SA standard requires flammability test while the M standard does not.
SA standard has rollbar impact test while M standard does not.
SA standard allows narrower visual field than M standard (Some SA helmets aren't street legal)
.. the rules for the event I'm going to state specifically those reasons as to why they do not allow M standard helmets for the car events under any condition.

Those are some damn good deals on that site Kohburn. Thanks for the link. I'll order from there as soon as I figure out what size I need.
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

because 2010's going to come quicker then you think.

might as well buy an m2005 also.
Kohburn wrote:why not roll with an SA2000?
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

eHoward wrote:because 2010's going to come quicker then you think.
But by 2010 we wont be able to afford gas :thumbleft:
might as well buy an m2005 also.
Kohburn wrote:why not roll with an SA2000?
Why get an m2005 also? :scratch:
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

I originally posted to get an m2000. Same logic says to get the m2005.
Series8217 wrote: Why get an m2005 also? :scratch:
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

eHoward wrote:I originally posted to get an m2000. Same logic says to get the m2005.
i'd just as soon get an M class helmet because they are cheaper and you have a greater selection

but a lot of events don't allow it so SA is the way to go
Mach10
Mach10 offers you his protection.

Post by Mach10 »

Wear a turban.

Some dumb fuck here in Winnipeg caused a stink about being made to wear a helmet when his car broke 13s.

In the local rag it showed him done up all gangsta style leaning on the hood of his car with a mean look on his face.

Gimli motor speedway's official response was "We aren't stopping you from wearing your turban. But if you won't follow our track rules for safety, you aren't racing here. STFU Bitch, you gots OWNED."

But who knows, maybe it'd work down there? At the very least, you could make the officials shit themselves by saying you had a bomb or something.
stimpy
Who wants Ice Cream?

Post by stimpy »

Hey Steven, did you hear that I'm going to SEMA at the beginning of Nov? If you trust me to look for a helmet for you there I could see if they have any deals.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

eHoward wrote:I originally posted to get an m2000. Same logic says to get the m2005.
If I HAVE to have the SA2000+ anyway I dont see why I would need another helmet also.
stimpy wrote:Hey Steven, did you hear that I'm going to SEMA at the beginning of Nov? If you trust me to look for a helmet for you there I could see if they have any deals.
SEMA! Sweet! Problem is, my event is the weekend of the coast run, so I have to make sure I have one in advance and if you didnt find one I'd not have time to order and ship. Thanks for the offer though! Is SEMA the first weekend in Nov? If so I maaaayyy see you there. My machinist said I could go with him but I have to talk to him when I'm back home to see whats up.
stimpy
Who wants Ice Cream?

Post by stimpy »

I'm going to be there from Nov 1 - 4.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Oh its in the middle of the week... :-( I figured it was the first weekend of Nov
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

It was IF you were to get a motorcycle helmet, you should get the 2005 and not the 2000 using the same train of thought of why you should get the SA 2005 one.

Comprende?
Series8217 wrote:
If I HAVE to have the SA2000+ anyway I dont see why I would need another helmet also.
stimpy wrote:Hey Steven, did you hear that I'm going to SEMA at the beginning of Nov? If you trust me to look for a helmet for you there I could see if they have any deals.
SEMA! Sweet! Problem is, my event is the weekend of the coast run, so I have to make sure I have one in advance and if you didnt find one I'd not have time to order and ship. Thanks for the offer though! Is SEMA the first weekend in Nov? If so I maaaayyy see you there. My machinist said I could go with him but I have to talk to him when I'm back home to see whats up.