BMW E9 (Car is on Page 2)

Talk about your other cars here.

Moderator: crzyone

CincinnatiFiero

BMW E9 (Car is on Page 2)

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

I picked these up for my new project, should add a little go fast and not suck as much as the zeniths on the car right now.

Am I missing something here? It looks like an accelerator pump or something should go there, but both carbs are missing it and the carbs came off of a supposedly running car.
Other carb

This look like an EGR port to you guys?
Plugged vacuum source?

Build thread later? Maybe... Maybe I can be as cool as Aaron and Will...
Last edited by CincinnatiFiero on Sun May 17, 2009 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Re: Who knows their old Webers?

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Jaguar?
CincinnatiFiero

With your dry sense of humor and the Internets inability to convey tone, I can never tell when you are serious.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Chuckle. It looks like a pair of three cylinder manifolds. Was thinking it might be a strange setup for a Jag, but they usually run three twin chokes. Is it for a Triumph?

Beyond that I know nothing about Webers. Do they have model markings on them anywhere?

Google thinks this page has Weber information: http://www.triumphspitfire.com/weber.html
emod19

Post by emod19 »

Will, look really close at the casting in the last picture.

Steve
1985 Mazda RX7 w/400 sbc
Removed it's soul, Gave it some balls.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

That's a roundel, isn't it?
That's what wasting a few minutes on the internet at 1 AM after spending 6 hours cleaning pistons and rods will get you.
CincinnatiFiero

Yeah its Blau mit Weiss.

Supposedly my Bimmer came with Zeniths which supposedly suck, and these are supposedly webers, which are supposedly go fast parts.

If you haven't noticed... I don't know carbs.
CincinnatiFiero

I see a cover in this picture
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/performanc ... r-main.jpg

And in this picture
http://www.euronet.nl/~wilaben/40dcnf.jpg

I need to look on the car itself and see what the story is on the carbs that are on it.

I have three sets of carbs for this car, so we'll see. I've never re-built a carb.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

What car is it? E21? Obviously it's a 6...

I just got that joke about joining me and Aaron this morning.
CincinnatiFiero

Christ Will, what is the only thing you and retard have in common? That should have jumped at you, there is only the one answer.

E21... LOL. I am a bigger baller than that.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

CincinnatiFiero wrote:You'd have more luck finding an M635csi donor car, I've seen shittastic ones around here for like $2,500, but personally the 635 is way more bad ass than an E34 so then I'd switch the project over to buldup the 635.
Hmm....

I would have pegged you with enough class to have said 2002, but then you wouldn't be looking at a 6 cylinder carb setup. I don't even know if the E21's had 6 cylinders...
CincinnatiFiero

There was a 320i/6 and a 323i in later years of the E21. The 635 is close man, E9
CincinnatiFiero

Okay well my motor will be here this week. Is there any desire to see a build thread for a 3.0CS resto in the near future? I have to get my 87 Fiero out of the warehouse so I have room to bring the 3.0 downstairs.

Anyone rebuilt their own calipers?
I just about shit my pants
$415... each.
Xanth

Post by Xanth »

I rebuilt the ones on my Fiero, the only difficult part was getting the rubber boot back on around the piston.

Downside was none of the actual mechanicals got replaced with the rebuild kit.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

CincinnatiFiero wrote:Is there any desire to see a build thread for a 3.0CS resto in the near future? I have to get my 87 Fiero out of the warehouse so I have room to bring the 3.0 downstairs.
ABSOLUTELY. That's definitely a classic car.
You going to resto or resto-mod? An M30B35 EFI + mods could easily give you 50 HP over the M30B30. That with a Getrag 260 or 265 would be a nice setup.
Xanth wrote:I rebuilt the ones on my Fiero, the only difficult part was getting the rubber boot back on around the piston.

Downside was none of the actual mechanicals got replaced with the rebuild kit.
What's too replace? The only thing that can hamper the function of the hard parts is corrosion. If your sealing surfaces aren't pitted, there's no reason to replace the part.

Even if critical surfaces ARE pitted, comparing to a $415 caliper makes hard-chroming and re-honing your current parts a viable alternative.
Xanth

Post by Xanth »

The ebrake ratcheting mechanism in the rear brakes would be nice to service. I was told its non-servicable, though the rebuild calipers I bought were all defects because that portion had been disassembled then re-installed incorrectly.

May be a non-issue altogether with that car though.
CincinnatiFiero

The Dark Side of Will wrote:
CincinnatiFiero wrote:Is there any desire to see a build thread for a 3.0CS resto in the near future? I have to get my 87 Fiero out of the warehouse so I have room to bring the 3.0 downstairs.
ABSOLUTELY. That's definitely a classic car.
You going to resto or resto-mod? An M30B35 EFI + mods could easily give you 50 HP over the M30B30. That with a Getrag 260 or 265 would be a nice setup.
The head cracked on the original block and the motor seized up. I have a spare 3.0 head. I bought a complete spare running motor, a spare 4speed getrag, and the webers. Plan was to get the car on the road on the 3.0 with the webers, so 181HP haha. I do not want to EFI it, if I did, I'd buy a 635 and be done with it. What I would consider is the 3.5L block with my spare SOHC 3.0L head, shrick cam, bavarian auto header, and some sort of exhaust. I only want to do a period correct tuner. Car already has some very 70s gold and silver Alpina esque wheels, not sure if they are real.

There is a perfect 3.0CS that keeps not selling on ebay for $16,850, its a different color respray and vinyl interior change, but its immaculate, and it won't sell. These cars aren't really worth the world, so this will be a low cost resto, no point in sinking $50k into a $15k car. May as well spend $5k and drive it.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

The BMW world is just a little different. When I was looking into turboing the 535, I asked how high the M30 could be revved. Somebody replied "It's not really a high revving engine. You shouldn't need to go over 6800 under any circumstances". I LOL'd.
CincinnatiFiero

Maybe I am not missing anything?

So no one has called to say the motor is in yet, its been over a week and it was less than a day away by car. A little worried. Plan is to do a compression test, pull the valve cover, pull the pan, scrape the sludge, inspect the bearings, new pan and valve cover gasket, and call it a day.
CincinnatiFiero

For those who don't know what we are talking about

My wheels are similar, but the centres are gold.