So many choices...

Talk about your other cars here.

Moderator: crzyone

crzyone
JDM Power FTW

So many choices...

Post by crzyone »

I'm looking to buy a "new" car this summer since I no longer have my CTS. I have a short list of cars, some are quite different than others.

SRT-8 300c
SRT-8 Magnum
Mitsubishi Eclipse (97-99)
Ford Mustang GT 05+
Infinity G35 Coupe
Pontiac GTO (LS2)
Mitsubishi Evo 8 or 9
Subaru STI 04ish
Toyota Soarer (leaning heavily towards this one)

All my choices are fairly fast and RWD or AWD is a must. I will never own a FWD econo car again. I am leaning heavily towards a JDM Soarer with a 1JZ TT. 2.5 parallel twin turbo, built on the same chasis as a MK IV supra. Basically a luxury Supra. I can get a 5 speed Soarer for fairly cheap. Since I no longer have a wife I don't care that it's right hand drive and manual :-D Bonus that all suspension and brakes are interchangable with MK IV Supras.

I am also really considering an 05 or 06 mustang GT. They are cheap, quick and good looking. Would be neat to have my black F150 and a black GT sitting in the driveway.

The rest of the list are ideas I've been tossing around. If the SRT-8 cars had manual transmissions and variable cylinder management I'd be all over them.

I'm trying to stay under about $25k US. I can get a Soarer with less then 60k miles on it for around $10k Canadian and with a paint job, body kit and wheels they look amazing.

Any other cars out there I should be considering? Or what do you guys think about my choices?
Unsafe At Any Speed

Re: So many choices...

Post by Unsafe At Any Speed »

CTS-V > SRT-8

As for the rest of the list, the EVO and STi are great track cars but since you already have your GTR I would go for something with more luxury. Same deal with the 2g DSM (hell, those are cheap enough you could get one plus whatever other car).
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Want something to modify or leave stock?

E34 (early '90's) and E39 (mid-late '90's) 5 series BMW's are available 4 and 4.4 litre V8's and stickshift transmissions. As long as you don't go to the dealership, parts are actually not very expensive.
AkursedX
Turbo-boostin!

Post by AkursedX »

Out of those, I'd probably choose the STI. I want something AWD and I like the STI better than then Evo.
'88 Fiero GT- 3800 Turbo Best E.T. 11.36 Best MPH 121.50 (Sold and gone)
2021 Hyundai Veloster-N (SCCA Solo D-Street)
2004 Mazda RX-8 (SCCA Solo STX)
WNY SCCA-Region Auto-X Program Chair
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Unsafe At Any Speed wrote:CTS-V > SRT-8
Yeah, I actually ment to have that on there. Black on black CTS-V is nice.

Will, I like the idea ov a BMW but servicing might be an issue. I live 2 hours from the nearest BMW dealer so that would be tough.

One thing I like about North American cars is that there is a service center in every hick town in the country... Could come in handy.

If I get a Mustang GT I could see adding a supercharger. Pretty easy to get 500hp out of them and be fairly reliable.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

AkursedX wrote:Out of those, I'd probably choose the STI. I want something AWD and I like the STI better than then Evo.
When we bought the CTS I really wanted an 04 STI. I'm trying not to buy one because I already have a track car. Guess I'm trying to buy a car that I won't have an itch to modify.

If I do get a CTS-V or a Soarer I will be less likely to modify them unlike an Evo and STI. Maybe some visual things on a Soarer or an exhaust system on a CTS-V but I would not go all out to modify them.

I guess that's why I like the mustang too, just a nice daily driver that gets decent mileage and looks great.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

I'm NEVER going to a BMW dealership to have my 5 serviced. I bought just a couple of small parts from the local dealership and they were marked up about 60% vs. BMW's electronic catalog MSRP. There are lots of BMW specific parts supplies like www.bmaparts.com that can get you BMW parts for not much more than domestic parts. The cat-back sans muffler for my 5 was only $260. Lots of retailers also give discounts to BMWCCA members. The community is also great, so far; www.bimmerforums.com is what Old Europe wishes it could be in terms of the combination of expertise and willingness to help. I haven't posted a single question there for which somebody who'd done it already didn't take the time to track down and post pictures and thorough descriptions.

What about an '03 style Mustang Cobra? Oh yeah... you want something you won't modify... News flash, man. Once you get it, the mod bug is equal opportunity. I'll probably have my first actual drive in my 5 this afternoon, but I've already decided I'm going to turbo it when I get back from the sandbox.
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

crzyone wrote:Guess I'm trying to buy a car that I won't have an itch to modify

HAHAHAHAHAHAH! The most ridiculous thing you've ever said. The guy who did 4 engine swaps and has a balls to the walls GTR. Good luck fulfilling that dream.

Soarers are hot. What about an E39 M5, they are getting cheap here.

My dad had an Evo8 when they came out, he loved it, but only drove it on weekends. Drove his Caddy during the week.
STi is sweet, but the ugliest car on your list, yes even the older one.
Driven the SRT cars, nice, lots of raw power, but not my cup o'tea and the mpg is horrendous. I'd go CTS-V over one of them, but I doubt you want another CTS.
You could buy like 4 DSMs for $25k.
G35 is nice, you may be able to sneak into a used G37 for that price.
You could get a nice E36 M3 for $10k, put some Forgelines on it, coilovers, DinanS1 kit and have a sick ass DD.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Well, if I get a BMW it would be a 850i, I've always liked those. I've also always wanted to have a car with a V-12. They probably don't get much better than low 20s for mileage but would be a nice cruiser.

I am serious about the mod bug, I managed to not mod the CTS at all but it was mostly my wife's daily. Whatever car I get will be limited to maybe an exhaust system and intake. Rims too depending on the car.

I keep going back to the mustang for some reason... $20k, new, reliable, efficient and probably fun to drive. The soarer is nice but it would be something I would be compelled to modify.

choices...
AkursedX
Turbo-boostin!

Post by AkursedX »

Audi S4??

I could probably keep one of those fairly stock.....
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Never really been a big fan of Audi.

I think I've narrowed it down to a black on black G35 with handling package or a Mustang GT.

G35 pros- decent mileage, luxurious, great handling, good looks and should be reliable
cons- more expensive, more mileage in the price range I am looking at, V-6, nearest nissan dealer is 2 hours away.

GT pros- decent mileage, good looking, mods are cheap, V-8 rumble, lower mileage in my price bracket, reliable and cheap parts, great stereo, Ford dealer in every hick town in North America
cons- so so handling, everyone has one, lower resale (isn't really an issue)

I almost have myself sold on a 6 speed G35 coupe. Just need a few more people to push me over the edge. :-D
Unsafe At Any Speed

Between those two, the G for sure. Friend of mine has one, it's a nice car.
Fastback86

Post by Fastback86 »

I'm a fan of the G, but it sounds like the 'Stang might suit you better what with the distance of the Nissan dealer. With a Watts Link rear suspension and some other work, you can actually make them handle pretty good. There's 45 years of tuner work put into Mustangs and they've pretty much figured out the car. It's not like you don't have the GT-R for all the real handling duty.
<Insert Sig Here>
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Hmm true.

Only thing I have against the G is my parents have a loaded G35X. Not as nice looking as a coupe but who wants the same car as their parents.

If I do get a G is has to be from the states. I can get one for $15k us or one here for $25k... Plus the drove home would be a bonus. I should buy one in Florida or California..
AkursedX
Turbo-boostin!

Post by AkursedX »

Out of those two I'd pick the mustang. It's funny though, if you would have said 350z, I would be for the 350z. I have just never liked the looks of the infinity.

My neighbor has a stock mustang GT and I do enjoy hearing him fire up his car each morning. I'm sure you can get the Mustang cheaper and you could slap on an s/c for the difference :good:
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Looking for a good daily with a back seat. I'm leaning heavily to the mustang again.
Unsafe At Any Speed

Like you mentioned before, everyone and their mom has a Mustang.
befarrer

Post by befarrer »

Convertible mustang or hardtop?
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

I'd go GTO with an aussie nose on it before the Mustang.

LS2 has WAY more potential in my opinion, much less common.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

befarrer wrote:Convertible mustang or hardtop?
Hardtop, I don't really like verts. Heavier, less chasis stiffness and noisy.