So many choices...

Talk about your other cars here.

Moderator: crzyone

crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Re: So many choices...

Post by crzyone »

CincinnatiFiero wrote:I'd go GTO with an aussie nose on it before the Mustang.

LS2 has WAY more potential in my opinion, much less common.

Is the Monaro nose a direct replacement? I agree with the LS2 and it has a good 6th gear for highway cruising.
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

As far as I know it is just a front bumper. The LS2 GTO's had the scooped hood. Monaro wheels are nicer, but I assume you'd go custom. There are a few Monaro noses, that one is the later HSV-V one. I saw one on ebay here in the states that had the "conversion" done.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

crzyone wrote:Looking for a good daily with a back seat. I'm leaning heavily to the mustang again.

Porsche Carerras have a "back seat". Not sure you could find anything even remotely recent in your price range... :(
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

It's not that I can't afford a $50k car, it's just that I don't want to afford one. I'd rather get a reliable fun to drive daily driver on the cheap and spend my money on my house and my GTR.

I've been watching youtube videos of GTOs, they have grown on me a lot. I can get a low mileage one with an LS2 for 17-18k. I don't think I can find better value performance/dollar. Neat thing about it is they were never sold in canada. 6 months or so ago Canada harmonized it's bumper laws with the states so we can import any car we want now. I've never seen a GTO on the road here. Nice to have a rare car.

Sooo, here is an interesting question. How much would fuel mileage suffer with a cammed LS2? I was thinking full exhaust system, intake and a cam. I've read of guys getting 430whp with that setup.

Stock I've been reading they get about 27mpg at 70mph. Gotta love LS engines and tall 6th gears. That's better mileage than my CTS got with the 3.6VVT and 5 speed auto. I think I averaged around 25mpg.
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

I was going to suggest he up his budget a little bit and go for a 996 Turbo as they're a bargain for 40k when i first saw this posted..but decided to keep my mouth shut... the 2000ish carreras have been going at auction for 20ish. My buddy got a 4 for under 20. I would go for the turbo rather than an NA one though especially if water cooled. Watercooled NA motors kill themselves randomly it seems.

My father just bought his LS2 GTO. He leased it originally but decided to keep it. They're very nice cars for the money and I think quick enough where you won't have to mod it.
The Dark Side of Will wrote:
Porsche Carerras have a "back seat". Not sure you could find anything even remotely recent in your price range... :(
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Those are nice cars but this will also be my winter driver. I couldn't bring myself to drive a 911 in the salt and slush. No problem with a $17k pontiac.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Well I have decided on a GTO. I found the one I want and have a meeting at the bank on Friday to get a loan.

A few pics of the one I picked out. Hope it doesn't sell before I get the loan... I like this one, the red car, black wheels combo reminds me of my fiero.

Not a huge fan of red interiors but the more I look at it the more it grows on me

Aftermarket strut bars
Unsafe At Any Speed

Post by Unsafe At Any Speed »

Nice. There was a GTO at the track this weekend with a full Monaro conversion. It was pretty cool. Also, if you get that car and the FRCs are included and you don't want them, let me know.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

What are you refering to by FRC?
Unsafe At Any Speed

Oh, sorry. Fuel rail covers. That car is missing them.
CincinnatiFiero

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/HSV-Monaro-GTO-b ... 1|294%3A50

It's not like you don't know how to import stuff.......
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

That is a nice kit. I like the looks of a stock GTO, never actually seen one in person though. There are 1 or 2 GTOs that have been imported in the Edmonton area, I have yet to see them.

I am basing everything on pictures and videos on the internet lol. Top Gear loves the Holden Monaro, so if it's good enough for them it's good enough for me.
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

GTOs are great cars. I regret buying my subaru instead of one. They were about the same money but the GTO puts out close to 100% more horse.
Unsafe At Any Speed

When you get one, throw some headers on it. The LSx loves them. Not to mention they sound badass. I get so many compliments of the sound of my exhaust setup.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Oh yeah, at a minimum it's getting long tubes and catback. I've watched many youtube videos and stock is just too quiet. What's the point of owning a muscle car if it doesn't sound like one.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Unsafe At Any Speed wrote:Oh, sorry. Fuel rail covers. That car is missing them.
Sorry, missed this post. The car does come with them, I will see if I like them or not.

Also comes with another set of tail lights. Some of the pics are red lights and some are black. The black ones look really good.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Flew down to Portland on Tuesday and crossed the Canadian border early this morning. I will have my story and pics tomorrow... I love my Goat.
jelly2m81

Post by jelly2m81 »

Grats Levi!
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Thanks, took some of my own pics of it in the driveway. I averaged 25mpg at around 70mph on the way home. Can't complain about that for a fairly large 400hp car.

CincinnatiFiero

Good looking car, 25mpg is what my stock V6 Fiero gets, so +270HP and no mpg loss, I'd take that.

Get some saddle soap on that leather regularly its starting to look a bit wrinkly.