Finally Hit 11s...

Dragstrip, autocross, and all track posts go here.

Moderator: Series8217

darkhorizon

Re: Finally Hit 11s...

Post by darkhorizon »

Keep in mind my 4th gear only goes to 120mph and I don't rev the car over 6250. If I had a 135mph 4th gear, i would be trapping 135.
He had the same problem, he floated BADLY at 5500 rpms.
My fiero is cheaper than yours. The end.
Jinxmutt

Post by Jinxmutt »

Well I went back to the track tonight. Times sucked. I had a 30mph headwind, and we all know that's good for like .5 off my et. ;) I'm told that time slips talk but mine didn't say anything.

I just did a lot of work to the car getting it rewired. It was a big enough feat to have the car ready in time for the track, let alone make some passes. Car was spinning like crazy to 8.8-8.9 1/8th mile times at mid-upper 90s mph. They apparently didn't prep the track at all. I only run on all-season tires, but it usually hooks a lot better than tonight. My ETs were low 12s and traps were in the 120s. I got 5 runs, missed 3rd once, missed 5th twice (fucking ratios), and the other two were clean runs but spun.

On the bright side, my clutch wasn't slipping tonight. I pinned my clutch switch for flat switch. I cut fuel to 4k between gears and just stay at wot. The trans is loving this, honestly. I've been beating the piss out of this thing for well over a year now with zero issues.

I guess its finally time to get rid of the all-season michelins and really work the drivetrain before swapping to auto...

Pics from recent rewires.

I don't have any of the completed harness or finished install.

(That harness that stays on the engine side of the firewall for the C500, I pulled it inside the car and cut it in half. I bought all new pins from mouser and crimped on all new stuff. I built a completely different engine harness with all brand new pins and TXL wire. Everything stays well away from the heat this way and it looks much cleaner with the harness on the inside. I used a twist-lock connector for the tail light side of the C500)
Jinxmutt

Post by Jinxmutt »

Today had the potential to be a good day. Unfortunately, I found out I can't launch the car as hard as I wish I could on shitty replacement axles...

(I'm car 322)

and

Car is MOVING out now. I swapped my 105s out for some 130# springs. I didn't think I was floating the valves before but I must have been. The car pulls hard as HELL now. I picked up 8 MPH in 5th gear! Keep in mind I have a .69 5th gear ratio.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

128mph!!! That thing rolls the hell out. That is a car not to be messed with from a roll. Who cares about that e/t. Sucks about your axles though. Tranny held though!!!

Obviously if you trusted that tranny, you would have a high 10 second car with that mph.

I am guessing you didn't make it to the dyno then. I am going to guess 500 whp though based on that mph. Not bad for a measly little v6.
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
AkursedX
Turbo-boostin!

Post by AkursedX »

128mph........DAMN! That thing is hauling! Sorry to hear about the axle break. You certainly have one hell of a roll-racer. I would love to see what kind of a 1/4 mile time you could get if you launched it hard.

Congrats!
'88 Fiero GT- 3800 Turbo Best E.T. 11.36 Best MPH 121.50 (Sold and gone)
2021 Hyundai Veloster-N (SCCA Solo D-Street)
2004 Mazda RX-8 (SCCA Solo STX)
WNY SCCA-Region Auto-X Program Chair
Jinxmutt

Post by Jinxmutt »

Now that I have tires (Mickey Thompson 255/50 16s) I'm going to get a little more aggressive with the car. No matter what I did before, the all-seasons would spin like hell with any sort of power applied. Even with no burnout or anything, these tires just hook the hell up.

Replacement transmissions are cheap as hell. I'm going to get another set of spare axles and go back to the track again. There is a track day scheduled for mid-december, so its just a matter of weather to see if that day holds. Next time I actually do manage to get to to the track, expect video of a big smokey burnout and a hard WOT launch. I've never been able to push this car wide open thru first due to traction issues.

Here is the video of my 11.82 run... I didn't even clean up the tires cause they were hooking much better than the michelins I was used to. You can see I was just rolling lightly off the line to try to get a few passes as I was worried something was going to break. The track prep was steller. When the axle actually did break, and I was pushing the car back off the track, even my sneakers were sticking to the surface.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad_6TSBL1UU
MstangsBware

Post by MstangsBware »

Jinxmutt wrote:Now that I have tires (Mickey Thompson 255/50 16s) I'm going to get a little more aggressive with the car. No matter what I did before, the all-seasons would spin like hell with any sort of power applied. Even with no burnout or anything, these tires just hook the hell up.

Replacement transmissions are cheap as hell. I'm going to get another set of spare axles and go back to the track again. There is a track day scheduled for mid-december, so its just a matter of weather to see if that day holds. Next time I actually do manage to get to to the track, expect video of a big smokey burnout and a hard WOT launch. I've never been able to push this car wide open thru first due to traction issues.

Here is the video of my 11.82 run... I didn't even clean up the tires cause they were hooking much better than the michelins I was used to. You can see I was just rolling lightly off the line to try to get a few passes as I was worried something was going to break. The track prep was steller. When the axle actually did break, and I was pushing the car back off the track, even my sneakers were sticking to the surface.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad_6TSBL1UU

I run MT at the track also and they hook like no other after the first warm up. I can cut 1.6 60' all day with them once they get just a little heat in them. Good run and hope to see some better times on the next trip. With the way you are talking I am seeing some breakage in the future with those tires though.
Jinxmutt

Post by Jinxmutt »

I'm not really sure how certain breakage is going to be. I'm putting in a set of OEM axles which seem to hold up best. I've shock loaded the hell out of the trans and it seems to be okay. My best 60' on this trans so far has only been a 1.902. I used to run better than that with the isuzu. With a more aggressive launch, I feel confident I can get down to a 1.7. If I can get these few tenths off my 60, be prepared for some low 11 ETs from a 5-speed car. Its about time someone finally takes the initiative to try to be quick with a manual. My goal has always been high mph because I was scared to launch. I'm at the point where its just like, what the hell, fck it.
BoostGT

Post by BoostGT »

Not a bad attitude to have and I wish some of the guys with the F40 would get that same mentality rolling.

When you think about it a new getrag to replace it will really not cost all that much ( Im assuming yours is a stock unit ) Labor wise its really not that big a deal either if it needs replacing.
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

Jinxmutt wrote:what the hell, fck it.

Like I told you yesterday, I'll mail you an axle, go for broke.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

clutch must also be holding.
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

Jinxmutt

Post by Jinxmutt »

My clutch is very tempermental. I hate the damn thing. it holds okay around the street everyday until it slips. once the thing slips or gets hot or whatever it does, it's worthless for a couple weeks. After that it will hold decent power until I slip or overpower it then it's junk again.
fieromadman

Post by fieromadman »

What clutch are you running again? And what happened to the dyno?
*SOLD* 95 3.4 DOHC- 96-97 p&p lower intake, custom upper intake, custom cams, ported exh manis, 180* t-stat.
T-62 Turbonetics T3/T4, air-liquid intercooled, Synapse 40mm, Greddy RS, Haltech E6K.
1987 GT, lowered, KYB's, clutchnet 6 puck, G/A brakes
Jinxmutt

Post by Jinxmutt »

The dyno shop called and canceled. They scheduled for a day that the town has a parade. It was their fault and they had to move me to December 12. I wasn't too happy about it, but I was able to go to the track instead, so all wasn't lost.

I currently run a Spec 3+ with their High Clamp pressure plate. I'll never buy another one.
fieromadman

Post by fieromadman »

What's your guess for hp? But yeah that does suck.
*SOLD* 95 3.4 DOHC- 96-97 p&p lower intake, custom upper intake, custom cams, ported exh manis, 180* t-stat.
T-62 Turbonetics T3/T4, air-liquid intercooled, Synapse 40mm, Greddy RS, Haltech E6K.
1987 GT, lowered, KYB's, clutchnet 6 puck, G/A brakes
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

It's amazing to me how many fiero owners complain about their clutches. It's amazing to even put that much power through a single disc clutch. Spec clutches are better than most people give them credit for.

If you want drivability and durability you need to look into a twin or tripple plate clutch. A car powerful enough to run 10s needs nothing less.
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

The difference here I think, is jinx dealt with spec directly since he needed a slightly different package due to his trans and the "experts" assured him this clutch would hold a HP that he gave them that was even higher than what he is making. Its not like he bought a clutchmasters on ebay from chinagofast and is bitching, or has a fucked up rear main on his 305 leaking all over his Luk repset. As his clutch sucks, I agree a multiplate is a necessity, but that's mass bank.

Or.............. he could go auto and just run 9.90s and call it a day, the amount of time he wastes on that fucking 5 speed, jesus :-D
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

The clamping force and friction required to hold that kind of torque on a small diameter clutch is huge. I would not trust the "experts" because how many real world cars with a fiero or equivilent clutch is making as much torque? I imagine all they have to go by is math.

Sounds like when it slips it gets a glaze on the flywheel or friction surface. Once that wears away the clutch is good again.

I hate using my car as an example, but my car makes 600hp and I'm running a Nismo Coppermix twin disc. It's a clutch made for high torque and racing environments. It's no surprise that it costs $2300, it's got a good reputation to take abuse all day long. AWD launches and racing are hard on any clutch.

http://www.rhdjapan.com/jdm-low/NISMO-S ... -R33-55829

Will has a good idea to use a flexplate with a twin disc mounted to it.
Jinxmutt

Post by Jinxmutt »

Cin is correct about the clutch. I called spec and talked to them about getting a twin disc for my car. They told me it was a waste of time and money. It took me about two weeks of back and forth with them before the correct clutch got figured out due to the different trans, etc. Once I started putting some decent power through this clutch, I found out that it will slip. That is reason I was upset. You're correct that it sounds like it glazes and then cleans itself up. I'm happy I still have a car that drives, but at the same time, you can see how I can be annoyed. Because I ordered the clutch direct from spec after dealing with them, I paid over $600 for the unit, then extra cash to resurface, etc. The total install cost me over $700. I would have preferred to spend an extra $500 or whatever at the time if I knew I would have a clutch that didn't give me issues.

At this point, I already have an auto that I've started putting together. I'm in the hunt to find a good converter, but that is another $700-$1000 from what I'm seeing after talkin to some companies.

I'm estimating I'm making right at or around 500 peak horsepower. I would hope that the peak torque number would be close to that as well. I won't know for sure until the 12th.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

I spoke with chris west at West coast fiero for about an hour on a twin disk, and he said that with not much work, it could be done. If you are serious, I would call and talk to him about it.

I had a wcf kevlar/kevlar clutch 9-11/16 larger diameter, and it was holding 450 lb ft of tq and would start to slip above that but not all that time. So in speaking with him, 2 of those(which I will say the clutch was very very streetable), should have no problem holding the power. He did all the math already, and said that you would need like a 1/8inch spacer between the block and tranny to accomodate the extra clutch. So move the engine forward an 1/8 inch or slot the tranny so you can keep the front engine mount stock.

Not to mention, all his math was based on the shallower getrag tranny. From what I understand, the later getrags like you are using sit a smidge deaper in the bellhousing area, so you might not need a spacer at all.

I have the pressure plate and one clutch I would sell for cheap. You would then need a 250 dollar clutch from them to hold the power I would imagine. Actually I have 3 of the wcf clutches here I would include for you to try if you were serious about it.