Lucky's POS

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

CincinnatiFiero

Re: Lucky's junkyard frankenstein

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

lucky wrote:That being said. I'm not going OBDII because I don't really wanna get that involved in wiring. What I've been doing on this car is pushing the limits of my knowledge and experience; a lot of what I've done has been beyond anything I've ever done: a year ago I'd never picked up a welder, last month I shaved the coolant lines off my t-stat housing- I've got a pinhole I've gotta take care of, but mostly a successful job. The 7730 swap seems more than a reasonable option for me, I don't think I'll have a problem following the re-pin instructions from sinister, I can keep my dizzy for now, and once I'm ready to put the other motor in I'll take advantage of the crank trigger and go DIS.
I can understand that. It was just my thoughts, and it might not even be possible, I have never looked into it.

Got more pics of the car and motor? Make this a proper build thread.

Do you have a 7730 yet? I think my friend is selling them for $55 with pigtails. Not the cheapest but hes got them ready to ship
lucky

Post by lucky »

Picked up a 7730 with memcal, pigtails, and a late 4cyl ecm tray (also a b/u light switch) for $50 shipped from a junkyard in WA. Gotta talk to sinister, get a zif(?) socket, get the windows on my new free laptop registered (and get a battery for it) get a tuning program (learn how to use it) and pick up a knock sensor.
As far as other pics.... car's interior is stock grey, except for a hurst aluminum shift knob, a gaudy walmart ripoff of a $170 billet rearview mirror I liked, and a junkyard cd player out of a 91 grand prix, you want pics of any of that I'll post them. I'll put up more pics of the engine if and when I get off my ass and paint stuff.

Near the top of the to do list are the aforementioned pinhole, getting rid of all the old alarm wiring my dashboard decided to abort the last time I unfolded my fuse block, and figuring out a decklid front weatherstrip solution.
lucky

Post by lucky »

Been awhile since I posted anything. Been kinda busy...
Gotta be out of my apartment Tuesday.
Haven't been working on the car much, but I did clean up all that shit that fell out of my dash.

Also got a little inspiration, a day off when the wife worked a double, and had some friends over who were willing to help so I decided to try making my own ripoff of the scoop on Norm's nose.
I'm sure you've all seen this...
After my near overheat in the drive through, I started looking around for a bolt on or glass in hood louver. Found some interesting stuff out there, but most of it was non-functional, so I decided to try to build a mold to bolt to the bottom of my hood, so I could glass over the top.
After thinking about the style of Norm's, I decided to simplify the design; namely eliminate most of the curve. I was on the phone with my buddy A aron (hereafter reffered to as HamHam so I don't have to type it funny to avoid the retard script), trying to explain it to him, and he just wasn't getting it so I made a cardboard model in the 10 minutes I had before he got to the house.
Once he had a visual, HamHam and I made some measurements and set about building the mold out of plywood scraps I had lying around.

Getting this far was easy, starting at the hood hinge center pin, we measured back to clear the radiator fan, and from there to the rear reinforcement of the hood (no need to cut into what little structure there is in the hood if we don't have to). The width was also dictated by the structure of the hood, just inside the hinges in the front, and inside the structure at the rear.
We set the mold in place over the spare tire and transferred measurements up from hood level to the mold for the angle of the louver, and the open space to maximize the opening while barely clearing the spare tire; we tried to bring it in very close to the spare, the plan is to cut out a section of the sheet metal in front of the spare, and butcher a spare front compartment gasket I have to make the hood still seal to the unibody (we'll see how that goes).
I'm on the left, HamHam's on the right, Shane's taking pictures, and Happy's around somewhere drinking my beer.

We notched a corner off a couple pieces of floral foam, and hot glued it to the plywood (I should have added some 4" decking screws through the plywood into the foam to stabilize it a little more, one of the pieces fell off as I was shaping it, and had to be re-glued).
A large square set inside next to the foam gave a vertical line to follow by hand with a wood blade for a sawzall, then I made the curve by hand with sandpaper.

As soon as I finish the sanding, I'll screw the mold into the hood and lay some glass. It's been years since I tried anything this ambitious with glass, I'm pretty happy so far.
Not including the shit I already had lying around leftover from other projects, I'm $4 and 6 hours into this, and I already have matt and resin too.
Anyone have any tips on getting off the gelcoat that's under the hood paint? I've been sanding for a couple hours and have very little to show for it.

Those not actively involved in my project spent their time building this out of stuff I had lying around.
HamHam found out MA relaxed the laws governing model rocket engines. He's been all about it since. It flew, but not well, or high, or far. I'll see if I can get video of the fail.
lucky

Re: Undead now re-dead...

Post by lucky »

So. Saturday morning I drive to work for 7:45. After I get my coffee I pull into traffic and I hear a tick.
Around 10 my buddy asks to bum a smoke; I left them in the car. I give him my keys, he grabs them, throws them and my keys back with my phone. Two hours later I notice a lego darth vader on "my" keychain.
I grab john as he walks by and snag his keys off the shelf, knocking my phone into an open container of blueberry pomegranate vinaigrette, and my smokes and lighter on the floor. Dead phone.
John takes his keys, leaves mine on the counter next to me. In all the cleaning and disassembly of my phone I don't notice them disappear.
9:30 pm, after 13.5hrs straight with one cigarette break, I go to leave and can't find my keys.
After a half hour John drives me home to grab my spares. I thought I had spares for my doors and my ignition; I only have trunk and ignition, fuck.
John took off, I started tearing the restaurant apart. I burn my hand on a red hot baking pan, but around 11:30 I find my keys at the bottom of the trash near the salad station. I run home, engines still ticking. I shower and head back out to my buddy's place. I don't take my truck, I drive the fiero. 20 minutes from my house and 5 from his, I hear tick tick hiss pop. The car's running like shit and I have to keep the idle around 2k to keep it running.
I get it to my friend's and park it. I'm so pissed off don't wanna hang out for a couple hours, I ask one of them for a ride home, cause my wife was still at work an hour away. They all just took shrooms and don't want to drive. I hang out and get shitfaced till 4am.
Back to work 8am sunday morning on 2.5hrs sleep, 2 hot coffees, a massive breakfast and a large iced coffee. I get out at 4, go back to my car, pull the valve covers and start to troubleshoot. #2 exhaust valve is seized in the head and snapped off 1.5" below the upper spring seat.

I want to burn it.
I didn't have it in me to even look at the car today, so no pics of the carnage yet.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

Now's your chance to get a better engine :-)
lucky

Post by lucky »

Already have a 3400 block with a Milzy turbo cam. I should just start pulling and selling the good performance pieces off the 2.hate, to build up some cash to finish the 3400......
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

that's the spirit!
lucky

Post by lucky »

My wife's gonna kill me....
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

you got specs with that milzy turbo cam?
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
lucky

Post by lucky »

coinage told me this when I got it off him.
Milzy Stage 1 Turbo -
.496/.496 lift
212/206 duration at .050
110 IC
112 LSA

I eased into a conversation with the wife tonight about building the other motor to swap in; there wasn't any yelling, so I think I'm good.

Needs: 88 flywheel
3500 heads intake and etc
DIS components
I'm sure there's more, but those are the major pieces.
The truleo, Darrell's TB and LIM, and other stuff will get pulled soon, anyone want anything let me know.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

gotcha. I am looking for a bit more lift since those cams are rated for use with 1.6 rockers and I will be using 1.5
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

lucky

Post by lucky »

I wasn't really planning on selling it anyway, shaun.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Milzy's site doesn't list the specs which is why I was asking you. Wasn't interested in getting yours per se, just interested in getting something larger then stock.

Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

.496" with 1.6:1 equald .465" with 1.5:1, which indicates the lifters must have rollers on them. That being so, and the 3400 being able to use any lobes for a traditional SBC, with those specs, COMP could give you .488/.500 lift with 1.5:1, and those lobes are fine to 6500. If that's more rpm than you plan on, there are more aggressive lobes, a 210 intake lobe can have around .525" lift with 1.5:1, or move up to 214, and have .530" with 1.5:1, COMP has 2 different lobes with those specs.
lucky

Post by lucky »

Shaun41178(2) wrote:Milzy's site doesn't list the specs which is why I was asking you. Wasn't interested in getting yours per se, just interested in getting something larger then stock.
Ahh. I see.
lucky

Post by lucky »

So. Before anyone else goes there; I suck. Apparently I can't even get something as simple as a valve lash adjustment right.

I sent PM's to Will and Matt (coinage) the night the valve snapped. For those of you who don't know, the heads and valves on my motor are third hand off the pallet of stuff Will got from Falconer. I'm trying to figure out what the hell I'm gonna do about the situation I find myself in.
I haven't heard back from Will; I understand he's got a lot on his plate. Matt didn't have any new info for me.
After searching the board, I found that part of the pallet was an incomplete set of valves; Will if you still have these, any chance you'll part with a couple? If one of you other guys picked them up, I'd appreciate it if you'd let me know where you got the missing one.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

I think I have another complete set and then a set that's short one or two. I'll ask my dad to get them out and count them.
lucky

Post by lucky »

Thank you very much, Will. IIRC I just need 2 exhaust valves, I'm off all next week, I'll pull things back apart and confirm that, but if and what you're willing to part with is up to you.
lucky

Post by lucky »

Anything, Will??
lucky

Post by lucky »

Wow.

Got a package today. Wasn't really expecting one.

The replacements for the valves I broke. Will, you still need to tell me what you want for them.
It had been like 3 months since I'd heard anything from you about them, I had pretty much moved on and started pricing custom ones.
Pic of the one I totally fragged, the rest of it is still seized in the head, on the car.

I really can't sink a lot into this thing right now, but I think I have everything around except headgaskets that I would need to fix this. I've never had anything like this happen to me before; Valve seized in head- I assume the proper thing to do is to remove it and take it to a machine shop. How much should I expect to get charged for it and what should be done as far as testing and whatnot after it's out? The other head I'm not worried about, the valve didn't snap or seize, just started to splinter like the tip of the one in the pic (rockers didn't take any visible damage at all).

Edit: O yeah, what's the scoop on ROL headgaskets? I see contradicting reviews all over the interweb.