My Camaro

Talk about your other cars here.

Moderator: crzyone

VF1SkullAngel

My Camaro

Post by VF1SkullAngel »

http://www.fquick.com/garages/Chevrolet ... 996/28446/

I recently had the T-Top convered from a Hardtop. Next step is to get rid of that ugly ass Ferrari 575 Silver, Get the RS ground effects and probably repaint it either Blue or Purple. Might paint the rims black or Chopper.

All in all its a very solid car, I still beat the living shit out of ricers even though its a V6.

I was thinking of using the L67 M90 Supercharger but its a lot of work to transplant it from the L67 to the L36 engine. Turbo or Nitrous seems like a better route than a Supercharger. It sure as hell beats a driving a Honda for fun.
Sometimes you only need six cylinders to get the job done.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Re: My Camaro

Post by crzyone »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/06-Ponti ... ccessories :twisted:

6 cylinder Camaros are good for commuting, but to have a lot of fun you need an 8 :-D
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

He speaks the truth.

If I were you, I'd stop dumping any more money into it. You'd be far better off selling it as it is, and buying a blue LS1 6-speed car. It'd be cheaper, have better paint, look better, handle better, and be faster than the turbo 3.8.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
VF1SkullAngel

Post by VF1SkullAngel »

I bought the 3.8 because it was something totally diffrent than what everyone else has. Being a part of CS Fbody's and being the only V6 while everyone and their momma had LS1's.

A V8 is a huge waste of money because I simply do not have any use for it, I don't race often, I don't need expensive insurance or excessive gas prices kicking my ass. Having a V8 would be to much of a liablitly. :-D If I was going to invest money on a V8 Camaro id rather put it towards a Fiero GT with a 3800 Supercharged swap. Otherwise ill keep my six and invest what would have been going into a V8 into a money market. :Yahoo!:

Either way if I do get around to racing id take a 3.8 over a V8 anyday. :-D
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

VF1SkullAngel wrote:I bought the 3.8 because it was something totally diffrent than what everyone else has. Being a part of CS Fbody's and being the only V6 while everyone and their momma had LS1's.
Did you ever think there's a reason for that?

There is.
A V8 is a huge waste of money because I simply do not have any use for it, I don't race often, I don't need expensive insurance or excessive gas prices kicking my ass. Having a V8 would be to much of a liablitly. :-D If I was going to invest money on a V8 Camaro id rather put it towards a Fiero GT with a 3800 Supercharged swap. Otherwise ill keep my six and invest what would have been going into a V8 into a money market. :Yahoo!:

Either way if I do get around to racing id take a 3.8 over a V8 anyday. :-D
I can't argue the insurance, but you are aware the LS1 gets the same city mileage, and beats the 3.8 in highway mileage, right? The LS1 is no joke, that's why everyone wants one.

Not bad logic, the 3.8 is cheaper (Insurance, liability like you said). But don't spend any significant amount modifying it.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
VF1SkullAngel

Post by VF1SkullAngel »

Aaron wrote: I can't argue the insurance, but you are aware the LS1 gets the same city mileage, and beats the 3.8 in highway mileage, right? The LS1 is no joke, that's why everyone wants one.

Not bad logic, the 3.8 is cheaper (Insurance, liability like you said). But don't spend any significant amount modifying it.

I disagree because shortly after I left Milehighfieros, I joined up with CS-fbodys and everyone had LS1's except me and those guys where constantly have gas mileage issues. Like it would only cost me 40 bucks to fill it up and those guys it would take like close to 60 bucks to fill up the tank.

The way I see it is LS1's are the best engine without going broke no doubt but I don't want it in a Camaro, id rather have it in a C5 vette or a kitcar. I honestly don't see the point on investing more money on the same car as the one I currently own only with the benefits of a pickup truck. All i want to do to my car is body work, paint, exhaust and intake. Thats not much maybe another 2500 or so and its a done deal. More than likely this is going to be my flagship car till I'm 25 or 26, then ill be looking for something more exotic and faster than the camaro.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

I gotta gang up on ya, too. The LSx is the ONLY way to go. The insurance is the only drawback. Sell the pos to a girl, and find you a true sportscar. So far, you still haven't had one. And if you can read that without hating me, we can still be friends. -Atilla
VF1SkullAngel

Post by VF1SkullAngel »

Atilla the Fun wrote:I gotta gang up on ya, too. The LSx is the ONLY way to go. The insurance is the only drawback. Sell the pos to a girl, and find you a true sportscar. So far, you still haven't had one. And if you can read that without hating me, we can still be friends. -Atilla
I'm not touching an LSX. Thats way to much money that I don't want to spend, id rather invest that kind of money on a Lamborghini Replica or a C5 Corvette or put that in a money market investment while I keep my V6. If I was building a GTM or Ultima GTR kitcar id look into an LSX for sure.

Tell you what, if you can find me an LS1 for free or next to free like less than $500 ill be more than glad to take that idea into consideration. I don't mind a V8 however I just don't want to pay for it because I'am a Lazy ass.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

nothing wrong with the 3800 camaro. It is cheaper on gas in the city and is pretty quick.
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

VF1SkullAngel wrote: I disagree because shortly after I left Milehighfieros, I joined up with CS-fbodys and everyone had LS1's except me and those guys where constantly have gas mileage issues. Like it would only cost me 40 bucks to fill it up and those guys it would take like close to 60 bucks to fill up the tank.
I disagree because the facts say you're wrong. Not only that, but you are failing to give important details. Being that it was a F-body meet, I'm going to assume that there was plentiful use of the throttle. I've been to a few F-body meets myself, and let me tell you, the 6200rpm limiter on my LS1 was no stranger, and the 155 speedo is not hard to peg. Not exactly economical driving. This is the same LS1 that routinely logs 32mpg on the highway (And 28 on the return trip). Lastly, your 3800 requires 85 octane, the LS1, 91. So account for an extra 20 cents per gallon (And that's if you find a good gas station, most are 13 cent increments now). Considering the very aggressive driving, and the higher cost of fuel, I'm not surprised the LS1 guys used more fuel in that circumstance. But that is hardly a daily occurrence, and plus, I would gladly spedn the extra 20 bucks to be able to keep up with the rest of the club. Because 200hp and a 5-speed can't do shit against 365 and a 6-speed.

Wait for it, wait for it, wait for it.........

But LS1's are only 325hp.....ha

Shaun, it isn't cheaper on gas. Unless you are really that concerned about 20-26 cents a gallon.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Just turbo the damned 3800.
Honest Don

Post by Honest Don »

Shaun41178(2) wrote:nothing wrong with the 3800 camaro. It is cheaper on gas in the city and is pretty quick.

No it isn't....
Honest Don

Post by Honest Don »

VF1SkullAngel wrote:
Atilla the Fun wrote:I gotta gang up on ya, too. The LSx is the ONLY way to go. The insurance is the only drawback. Sell the pos to a girl, and find you a true sportscar. So far, you still haven't had one. And if you can read that without hating me, we can still be friends. -Atilla
I'm not touching an LSX. Thats way to much money that I don't want to spend, id rather invest that kind of money on a Lamborghini Replica or a C5 Corvette or put that in a money market investment while I keep my V6. If I was building a GTM or Ultima GTR kitcar id look into an LSX for sure.

Tell you what, if you can find me an LS1 for free or next to free like less than $500 ill be more than glad to take that idea into consideration. I don't mind a V8 however I just don't want to pay for it because I'am a Lazy ass.

you can get a 5.3 LS truck motor for under 500 at almost any salvage yard. That 3.8 is a boat anchor. There's a guy here that built and sprayed the shit outta his and couldn't run better than a 13. There's always the turbo option, but from your posts, I doubt you have the ability for that...
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

I got my first 5.3 for $500, and my second for $150. There are several guys using stock 5.3s with a T76 at 14 psi putting fox mustangs in the 9s in the 1/4 mile on M/T 275/60R15 drag radials and pump gas. The 5.3 has all the potential of it's larger brothers, the LS1 and such. You're like those guys who used to try to make the chevy 305 equal the Ford 302. Most of them are now driving LS1s or Mustangs. Wake up to reality. The L67 has some potential, but no advantage over any LSx. And your L32 is beyond hope.
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

I like your idea of a cat-back and a cold air, give you some sound and some throttle response and you won't be AS slow. I think that's a plan. Though the 3800 isn't the best sounding motor ever. L67 is a damn good motor... in a fiero. Turbo L36 or L67 swap will run you damn near what a V8 swap will run you. In the FBody the V8 fits, there is a transmission that works well with it, it bolts in, yadda yadda, the LS is the way to go with an Fbody, but you already know that. Put rims on it, do a cold air, do an exhaust, and have a good time. Put a turbo 3800 in a kit car that will get you the bang for the buck.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

If he puts a turbo on the 3800 people will always ask him why he didn't just put in a V8.

There is nothing wrong with the car. The base model of any car, especially if it has a small engine will never really get much respect. There is a huge performance difference between a cast iron boat anchor 3800 and an aluminum LS1. I bet the LS1 even weighs less than the 3800.
Unsafe At Any Speed

Post by Unsafe At Any Speed »

VF1SkullAngel wrote:
retard wrote: Like it would only cost me 40 bucks to fill it up and those guys it would take like close to 60 bucks to fill up the tank.
Unless they have different size tanks, how could it cost that much more to fill car than the other?

I get what you're trying to say though. But still, the LSx gets good highway mileage. My car, with more weight and power than a LS1 Camaro gets 24-27+ mpg on the highway. Part of this is tune, headers and fluids, but still.
Honest Don

Post by Honest Don »

Unsafe At Any Speed wrote:
VF1SkullAngel wrote:
retard wrote: Like it would only cost me 40 bucks to fill it up and those guys it would take like close to 60 bucks to fill up the tank.
Unless they have different size tanks, how could it cost that much more to fill car than the other?

I get what you're trying to say though. But still, the LSx gets good highway mileage. My car, with more weight and power than a LS1 Camaro gets 24-27+ mpg on the highway. Part of this is tune, headers and fluids, but still.
only thing I can figure is that the LS1 needs premium. Both the V8 and V6 cars use the same tank
VF1SkullAngel

Post by VF1SkullAngel »

Aaron wrote:
VF1SkullAngel wrote: I disagree because shortly after I left Milehighfieros, I joined up with CS-fbodys and everyone had LS1's except me and those guys where constantly have gas mileage issues. Like it would only cost me 40 bucks to fill it up and those guys it would take like close to 60 bucks to fill up the tank.
I disagree because the facts say you're wrong. Not only that, but you are failing to give important details. Being that it was a F-body meet, I'm going to assume that there was plentiful use of the throttle. I've been to a few F-body meets myself, and let me tell you, the 6200rpm limiter on my LS1 was no stranger, and the 155 speedo is not hard to peg. Not exactly economical driving. This is the same LS1 that routinely logs 32mpg on the highway (And 28 on the return trip). Lastly, your 3800 requires 85 octane, the LS1, 91. So account for an extra 20 cents per gallon (And that's if you find a good gas station, most are 13 cent increments now). Considering the very aggressive driving, and the higher cost of fuel, I'm not surprised the LS1 guys used more fuel in that circumstance. But that is hardly a daily occurrence, and plus, I would gladly spedn the extra 20 bucks to be able to keep up with the rest of the club. Because 200hp and a 5-speed can't do shit against 365 and a 6-speed.

Wait for it, wait for it, wait for it.........

But LS1's are only 325hp.....ha

Shaun, it isn't cheaper on gas. Unless you are really that concerned about 20-26 cents a gallon.
I wouldn't doubt that the LS1 guys can do as good if not better, fuck even some of the newer Corvettes are getting better gas mileage than I do. I've ran my car on 87 once before and it performs very well in use. I truthfully didn't buy the car to go all out racing on the strip, my car has never seen the drag strip in its life, it may see the autocross in the near future though but thats something I really have to put a lot of thought into weither or not thats something I plan on doing. That extra 20 dollars is what keeping my retirement a float :roll: Id rather feed my Roth IRA than an LS1. :-D Ultimately had I gone LS1 I can't do the other things in life that I wanna do. The 3800 is the best car for the job.
CincinnatiFiero wrote:I like your idea of a cat-back and a cold air, give you some sound and some throttle response and you won't be AS slow. I think that's a plan. Though the 3800 isn't the best sounding motor ever. L67 is a damn good motor... in a fiero. Turbo L36 or L67 swap will run you damn near what a V8 swap will run you. In the FBody the V8 fits, there is a transmission that works well with it, it bolts in, yadda yadda, the LS is the way to go with an Fbody, but you already know that. Put rims on it, do a cold air, do an exhaust, and have a good time. Put a turbo 3800 in a kit car that will get you the bang for the buck.
I wanted to keep a realistic plan because I keep hearing about these ricer kids talking about how they are gonna build a 30k showcar when their job doesn't pay shit. :-D More than likely my car will probably never see a turbo in its life unless I can get it done for like $500 or so its got a better chance of seeing a nitrous kit. In the near future I want to build a kitcar of somekind either going with a fiero with an L67 swap or a tube chassis with a built LS1.

The way I see it is if I want to go through the troubles of having an LS1 Id say fuck it go and buy an LS1 Corvette. The good thing is they are dropping pretty low, the same benefits as with the LS1 fbodys, they are much lighter and such.
Last edited by VF1SkullAngel on Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
VF1SkullAngel

Post by VF1SkullAngel »

Honest Don wrote:
VF1SkullAngel wrote:

you can get a 5.3 LS truck motor for under 500 at almost any salvage yard. That 3.8 is a boat anchor. There's a guy here that built and sprayed the shit outta his and couldn't run better than a 13. There's always the turbo option, but from your posts, I doubt you have the ability for that...

I also wouldn't mind a 4.3.

A Turbo is only if I have free money laying around that I need to get rid of. I defnately couldn't do the conversion on my own and there's not many shops here locally that could turbo it either. The most I might do is spray but thats once again IF i have any free money laying around .

In the future if I keep this car for over 5 years then ill consider an engine swap but so far the 3.8 has really grown on me so far. There's nothing better than being around a bunch of V8's and your the only sixer their. Somebodys gotta fight those V6 mustangs I guess from the V6 Fbody crowd.