My Camaro

Talk about your other cars here.

Moderator: crzyone

Honest Don

Re: My Camaro

Post by Honest Don »

This has gotta be a trap. Nobody really thinks like this, do they?
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

What that someone has to race the V6 Mustangs? I thought my Camry engined Lexus had that taken care of, but I guess there are other contenders.
VF1SkullAngel

Post by VF1SkullAngel »

CincinnatiFiero wrote:What that someone has to race the V6 Mustangs? I thought my Camry engined Lexus had that taken care of, but I guess there are other contenders.

I actually raced a V6 Mustang, he had quite a few modifcations done to it. I pulled him by less than a fender.

The aftermarket support for the V6 Mustang is actually better than the V6 Camaro/Firebird. They offer Supercharger kits, Turbo and such. Cheap, affordable, easy to work on Where as GM doesn't offer shit for the V6 models and you have to custom fab the shit yourself. Makes me wonder about GM and why the fuck didn't they use the L67 in the Camaro. I guess they wanted everyone to get a V8.

Stock V6 Mustang sucks though, my Dodge Intrepid is faster. The Camaro 3.8 shouldn't even be in the same class as a V6 Mustang cause you'd have to invest some money in a V6 stang to beat a stock V6 Camaro. But there are some V6 Stangs out there that can make a damn good sleeper if someone wants to invest the time and money.
Honest Don wrote:This has gotta be a trap. Nobody really thinks like this, do they?
Not everybody digs drinking beer on sundays while watching football.

LS1 is great but I want something diffrent than what everyone else has.
Sometimes you only need six cylinders to get the job done.
CincinnatiFiero

I would argue there is a giant aftermarket for the 3800S2 n/a. Cams, rockers, heads, throttle bodies, headers, and a top swap is less than a supercharger kit for a mustang.
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

VF1SkullAngel wrote:Makes me wonder about GM and why the fuck didn't they use the L67 in the Camaro. I guess they wanted everyone to get a V8.
Just throwing this out there, but did you ever think that maybe everyone wanted the V8? Lighter, more power, more torque, better reliability, better durability, better gas mileage, stronger, and the sound all couple to make the 3800 a dinosaur compared to the LSX. That's why the LSX is the flagship motor in over half of GM's lineup.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
pontiackid86

Post by pontiackid86 »

Nothing wrong with the V6 camaros. My birds a V6 and it has been the best car I have ever drivin. Not to mention it has never givin me one problem. One thing I was told about dropping the supercharger on them is that you would have to mod the top part of the engine bay due to the clearnace between the top of the motor and the roof of the engine bay. Was a tune up done before you bought it? Tunups on them are not for the light hearted.
VF1SkullAngel

Post by VF1SkullAngel »

Aaron wrote:
VF1SkullAngel wrote:Makes me wonder about GM and why the fuck didn't they use the L67 in the Camaro. I guess they wanted everyone to get a V8.
Just throwing this out there, but did you ever think that maybe everyone wanted the V8? Lighter, more power, more torque, better reliability, better durability, better gas mileage, stronger, and the sound all couple to make the 3800 a dinosaur compared to the LSX. That's why the LSX is the flagship motor in over half of GM's lineup.
3800 was a brillant engine, I had one in my GTP and wish I could have one in a fiero. :twisted: For the money that Id be investing on a LS1 fbody id rather build a 3800 s/c Fiero and kick its ass all day.

If I wanted an LSX I suppose I could swap one in later on after the car has been paid for and my debt, bills and investments are craight up.
VF1SkullAngel

Post by VF1SkullAngel »

pontiackid86 wrote:Nothing wrong with the V6 camaros. My birds a V6 and it has been the best car I have ever drivin. Not to mention it has never givin me one problem. One thing I was told about dropping the supercharger on them is that you would have to mod the top part of the engine bay due to the clearnace between the top of the motor and the roof of the engine bay. Was a tune up done before you bought it? Tunups on them are not for the light hearted.

I'm guessing it wasn't done up, i've had my fair share of issues when I bought it and still do. Next month I'am planning on taking it in for service.

Doing the L67 on the L36 motor is a tough job, there's a guy over on the other forums I post on who did it and it looked like a ton of work. he had to pull the motor out and tear it down, graph the supercharger on it and did some other things to it but it looked like a shit load of work.

There's also the powerdyno Supercharger kit which is very rare for these cars. I heard they will surpass the LT1 car's and be neck and neck with the stock LS1.
CincinnatiFiero

Supercharged 3800 > LT1, what they leave out is:

Supercharged LT1 > a lot of things.

If you had the LT1 or LS1 and modded that you'd be exponentially faster. Just saying. I have an L67 Fiero BTW, so I'm not totally hating. Put the L67 in your fiero, put a V8 in your Camaro.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

CincinnatiFiero wrote:Supercharged 3800 > LT1, what they leave out is:
I'd disagree there, the LT1 weighs about the same, and has a 45hp and 55tq advantage. The LT1's aftermarket puts even the L67s to shame, not to mention it sounds fantastic (Unlike any of GM's 90* V6 platforms).

CF supercharges are terrible. Just because it makes the same power as a LS1, the LS1 will still walk away from it.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
CincinnatiFiero

Aaron wrote:
I'd disagree there, the LT1 weighs about the same, and has a 45hp and 55tq advantage. The LT1's aftermarket puts even the L67s to shame, not to mention it sounds fantastic (Unlike any of GM's 90* V6 platforms).

CF supercharges are terrible. Just because it makes the same power as a LS1, the LS1 will still walk away from it.
That's because you didn't read, you just wanted to call someone wrong. I was actually agreeing with you. My point was a 3800S2 n/a built up with an aftermarket supercharger (not a stock M90III) could beat a STOCK LT1, it definitely could. HOWEVER, once the aftermarket comes into play on the LT1... the 3800 is destroyed. 350+ mods > 231+ mods. 231+ mods > dead stock 285hp 350. An M90 can make 300whp without too much difficulty. A more efficient aftermarket blower could get there even easier. But for similar monies you could take the LT to 400, 500+ HP. Maybe you'll get what I'm saying, maybe not. If you're feeling confrontational, just let it go, I don't really care. LS1 is a different animal. As much as I dislike Camaros and Corvettes, the LS is a fabulous motor. Just happens to suck balls in fieros, probably operator error... But there are plenty of modded GTPs and a handful of Fieros that will walk stock Vettes and Camaros. LS1s... not LS6, LS7, LS9s
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

CincinnatiFiero wrote:But there are plenty of modded GTPs and a handful of Fieros that will walk stock Vettes and Camaros. LS1s... not LS6, LS7, LS9s
I see what you are saying, I thought you were saying a stock L67 can walk a LT1. Now the LT1 is a pretty poor engine next to the LSX, but it isn't completely worthless. Our 94 Z28 actually moved pretty good, and the motor sounded fantastic as well. But it's nothing next to our 2002.

As for a Fiero walking a Camaro, I know that, mine puts car lengths on our SS. I gotta agree with you, I also dislike the Camaros and Vettes. Our Camaro is (Well was), the best Camaro you could buy. The sticker was higher than a Corvette. It is stunning to look at, just gorgeous. The engine and transmission form the best drivetrain ever put in a car. But GM managed to half-ass the rest of the car. At 22,000 miles, it's already had a new diff, driveshaft, pinions, diff carrier, axles shafts, etc. The interior feels all too typical GM. The door panels pull out from the doors when you close them, the T-tops leak, the center console feels like it has a screw holding it to the car, etc. It's just cheap.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
VF1SkullAngel

Post by VF1SkullAngel »

Supercharged LT1 > a lot of things.

If you had the LT1 or LS1 and modded that you'd be exponentially faster. Just saying. I have an L67 Fiero BTW, so I'm not totally hating. Put the L67 in your fiero, put a V8 in your Camaro.

I wanna do a Fiero GT with a 3800 S/C motor weither it be a kitcar or not. I don't have much planned for the camaro of course when money does grow on trees I might start doing some stuff.

If I get a V8 in my camaro its gonna be the same Donovan based L98 engine used in the Vector W8 supercar. Bye Bye most LS1's.
VF1SkullAngel

Post by VF1SkullAngel »

Aaron wrote:

Not true if you have the money you can build anything to beat almost anything its a matter of time and money. Thats why you'll sometimes see a boosted Vtec beating a boosted LS1 its very rare and very unlikely but its possible.

Here's some food for thought what these 3.8's can do to LT1's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggPVoZbkb3c

LS1's are just big fat pigs. :( Thats why Arche uses them. :D
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

OMG, a video of a V6 beating a V8? HOLY SHIT. Read it folks, every V6 is faster than every V8. You saw it on Youtube.

I say do it. TPI fucking rocks. It was like the best fuel injection ever, in 1985. Add that to the iron block and heads, and it'll never die. Not than I'm surprised, at 40 hp/l and a 5,000rpm redline, the stress is equivalent to me cranking it by hand.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

Aaron's right, and Skullangel probably realizs he's already lost, but being a guy, he has to keep searching for anything to reinforce his argument. However, an LB9 doesn't qualify for the L67 vs LSx debate. A max-effort, unlimited-$ L67 should kill a stock LS1, but that's not really any comparison at all. And Skullangel has a better chance of doing the stock LS1 than an ultimate L67. Skullangel; the more you keep arguing to save face, the more face you lose. Right now, the most manly thing you could do is admit you've been foolish and misguided. Your only alternative is to do like me, start sinking every dollar into a multi-year pursuit to prove your beliefs. Me, I'm not doing it to prove the naysayers wrong, though that'll be nice, I'm doing it because that's what I want, though in my case, it's not an ultimate L67, it's an F50-equalling Fiero.