88GT 3.4 DOHC turbo rebuild

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

88GT 3.4 DOHC turbo rebuild

Post by Aaron »

As we all know, I fucked up my car pretty badly screwing around in a parking lot. Take note, a Fiero does not even remotely handle like a Camaro when you're sliding the ass end.

I got a call about a week ago, a friend in our club got rear ended in his 88GT, the insurance company took care of him, and he let me have it for $850. It's got 115k, and is an automatic. White on bitchwood ugly brown. It's in ok shape, it's salvageable, but with some work. The plan is to swap my engine/trans/cradle into it, along with my interior. Maybe a few other pieces. Piccy piccy:

I started working on it today. I got the motor pulled out, and cleaned out the engine bay a bit in preparation for the 3.4 turbo. I won't really be changing much from my old setup, except I'm going to completely wrap the headers this time, maybe pick up some spool time.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
Aaron

Re: 88GT 3.4 DOHC turbo rebuild

Post by Aaron »

88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

looking good so far.
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

more about the shoebox, please. Like is it driveable? What's under the hood?
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Atilla the Fun wrote:more about the shoebox, please. Like is it driveable? What's under the hood?
55 2 door post. It's currently undergoing a frameoff, and isn't driveable, but the motor I've got for it is a relatively stock 406 small block with a Weiand blower, Demon 750 carb, full MSD ignition, and a 4-speed.

88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
EarlBarnes
Earl's not that bad.

Post by EarlBarnes »

looks like the damage miss the frame and only messed up the trunk area, That fiero is very salvagable, looking good so far and can't wait to see it finished
:Yahoo!:
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

While I worked on the N* Fiero today, my friend (Who owns the N* car), worked on the white car. He got the A/C system completely out, along with the tranny cooler lines, all of the useless shit under the hood, and the gas tank (Walbro 255). I'm hoping to start putting the motor in soon.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

A few updates, but no pictures. I got the 3.4 out of my black car, goddamn these things get dirty fast. I bought 100' of 2" wide header wrap, I'm going to wrap the entire set of headers now, hopefully gain some response/spool. I'm also going to reroute the throttle cable so it draws linearly, not progressively. As it is, the first 70% of the pedal only moves about 30% of the throttle, then the last 30% moves 70%, so that gets annoying FAST! I'm also going to replace the clutch, this Spec Stage III has slipped since day 1. I need to replace the shift cables, the side to side one began to fail and get really stiff this past month (Is that the 'select' cable?) Lastly, I'm going to fabricate a way to put 15-20psi on he system to check for, and fix, boost leaks. Other than that engine stays the same.

I also gutted the white car's interior. I'm actually kind of surprised, swapping the grey over is easier than I thought. I got a couple nice surprises, the white car had brand new pioneer speakers up front, and Eclipses out back, so decent speakers. It's needs a bit of wiring, which will come next. I also swapped over the 5-speed pedals and clutch line. Fucking pain in the ass that was. The pedal assembly is pretty simple, it's just tight spaces, and bolt holes didn't want to line up very well.

Hoping to get it up and running int he next couple months. With the new clutch, I should be able to take it to the track for some getrag fraggin.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

got plans for the auto shifter and surrounding trim from the tan interior? Oh yeah, and the shift cable?
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Atilla the Fun wrote:got plans for the auto shifter and surrounding trim from the tan interior? Oh yeah, and the shift cable?
No you want them? The trim is all being used except for the middle shifter surround. I'm using the gauge trims. Which cable do you need, the one that goes tot he engine or to the steering column?
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

let's take this to PMs
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Fine bitch, it's on. Yah, let's take this to PM's. Sent you one right back. And mine took up more bandwith. OH SNAP.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

man, ya try to be courteous, and what do you get? attitude! oh well :-)
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

actually, his response was funny.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Little update, I've still lost motivation to really work on this car, but I felt motivated the other day so I got some work done. I got the radiator put back in and hooked up, swapped over the fuel tank with the big fuel pump, prepped the car for the engine, and put the motor in. The motor mounts were slightly tweaked from the rear-ending, so getting the dogbone to line up took a little bit of force, but it's all tight in there now, and fits nicely (As nice as a turbocharged, A/W intercooled 3.4 can). I also put on the completely wrapped hot side, TiAL wastegate with stainless bolts, and the turbo is on, also with stainless hardware. Back when I was first building the car, I went to NAPA and ordered a metric fuck ton worth of grade 8 hardware, thinking I was being a total baller. Even the washers were Grade 8. I told the sales guy what I was using them for, and he told me to go to Ace Hardware and get stainless stuff, because these will rust. I thought he was an idiot, as we live in CO, and shit just doesn't rust here. Boy was I wrong. Although the bolts weren't bad by any standard, they were definitely well on their way, solidly coated in brown and white. None of them snapped or seized upon removal though. To be safe, I replaced all of the turbo related hardware with stainless bolts this go around.

I had an oil leak, albeit extremely small \9Never dripped onto the ground. My brand new oil pressure sender was leaking into the electrical terminal, which then got oil soaked, and leaked oil into the rest of that section of the harness. So I pulled the sender off my spare 2.8, and coincidentally it had been recently replaced, and I put it onto the 3.4, so that should solve this, my only oil leak.

I've also been breaking a lot of shit, which sucks, because I don't want this car costing any more money, or time. I broke the stud on the alternator, and the stud on the starter, so both of those need to get fixed. I may have to find a new starter, but I should be able to fix the alt ur nate ur. If not I'm going to call lowlux.

The car is completely gutted. I've removed fucking everything that isn't completely necessary. I'm looking at a 2500lb target weight, wet and running. I've been so anal that I actually removed all of the steel brackets that are spot welded to the frame and firewalls that screws go into. Every one of them.

I've got pics, but the camera is being gay, so I'll put them up sometime later.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
fieromadman

Post by fieromadman »

Well, good luck with the target weight, not saying its impossible, but that turbo hardware and related shit is pretty heavy, as well as the engine. I'd like to say its possible, but I dunno. What creature comforts are you keeping?
*SOLD* 95 3.4 DOHC- 96-97 p&p lower intake, custom upper intake, custom cams, ported exh manis, 180* t-stat.
T-62 Turbonetics T3/T4, air-liquid intercooled, Synapse 40mm, Greddy RS, Haltech E6K.
1987 GT, lowered, KYB's, clutchnet 6 puck, G/A brakes
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

The engine is heavy, can't argue that.

Absolutely none. Except for a seat. The entire HVAC system is out, the only interior things I have are the gauge pod, steering wheel, seat, and boost/AFR gauges.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

My stripped out 88 coupe with a stock 3.4 DOHC, stock brakes, and 14" wheels weighed 2720 lbs. I would say 2500 is only possible if you had a hardtop, a single-sheet carbon fiber hood and decklid, no trunk sheet metal, no interior parts whatsoever except a lightweight fixed-back driver's seat, a steering wheel, and some gauges, stock brakes, no windshield wiper motors, and lightweight 13" wheels... and I think you'd have to get rid of the turbo and intercooler too.

Here's what I stripped out of mine:
http://realfierotech.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=1912

I later removed the trunk metal which weighed 18 lbs.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

That makes me a bit less optimistic, but we'll see, I was cutting shit like an emo 13yo with a razor blade.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
darkhorizon

Post by darkhorizon »

A local guy around here told me he got a 84 fiero down to 2000lbs even after cutting a large amount of shit out of it.
My fiero is cheaper than yours. The end.