3800 SC and coupe to fastback GT

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

slowpoke

3800 SC and coupe to fastback GT

Post by slowpoke »

I started these projects a while back but I'm just now starting to make some progress. So if anyone has any advice I would appreciate it.

I have my engine and tranny mounted on the cradle, I still need to mount the alternator and a few other things.

Dropped the gas tank and pulled the fuel pump to change it today. That was a pita, hope it never goes out, tomorrow I will install the new one. I also cleaned up the engine bay and removed the old battery tray. And switched the tailight harness.

The car is disassembled and waiting to become a fastback, I will probably start getting that over with tomorrow. I only get about an hour a day to work on it if I'm lucky so this is taking a while. Will the bolts that came out of the notchback work with the fastback?

That's it for now.
I wasn't banned, I'd just rather be here.
Emc209i

Re: 3800 SC and coupe to fastback GT

Post by Emc209i »

All of the bolts that came out of the notchback clip will work for the fastback click, with exception of the taillight bolt/screws. The taillight harness will be plug and play save for the brake lights, they're pinned in a different spot on the notchback C500, so you have to bridge the wire. Tail light wire is blue. I can dig up the pinouts when you get to that portion of your swap.
slowpoke

Post by slowpoke »

Thanks emc, my battery relocation box from norms came in today. $85 seems a little high for what I got but oh well I guess.
Might go try and put some of this shit together in a little while.

I can't post pics right now but yall know what all this shit looks like.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

I advise you to be glad you're dropping the tank of a Fiero, tather than the tank of any '82-up f-car. They're 10 times the work.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Fiero tanks are actually fairly easy. Try it in an F-body, like Atilla said, or in a 70's Jaguar (2 x 12 gal tanks in the rear fenders).
slowpoke

Post by slowpoke »

I have had five third gen f bodys and was lucky enough to never need to drop a tank until now. Guess it just sucked cause its the only one I have ever done.

Also, I don't have a lift and the car is only about 18 inches off the ground, and the coolant tubing on one side was bent in towards the tank a little. Not a big, but still a pain in the ass.

I appreciate the advices.
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

If its never be done before on the car and all the rubber hoses are stuck to pipes its a pain. Especially if its your first time. I've unfortunately had to do it enough times now that I can pull a tank from one car, test the pump, pull the tank from another car, install the pump, and reinstall in an hour. Something I never thought I'd get down to "pit speed".

I will give BMW the Award for the easiest fuel pump ever on the E28. There is a drain plug, much like an oil pan drain on the tank, drain the old fuel out. There is an access door in the trunk, 6 8mm bolts and the pump is out. I was blown away by how simple it was. Until I saw all the rust in the baffles in the tank..... haha.