Trip to BC 1400KM

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

befarrer

Trip to BC 1400KM

Post by befarrer »

Just got back from a road trip to Blue River, BC, with a stop in Jasper, AB. I'll post some pics later, but it is very fun driving on nice windy mountain roads :-D .

I took my 86 Fiero with the Quad 4 HO, and upgraded suspension. All in all, I did 1385KM round trip, and averaged about 39MPG with a passenger and full trunk, best mileage was 44MPG, worst was 37.5MPG both on the same stretch, just going different directions. At one point I was at 5100' above sea level by Blue River, and wow, a vehicle is gutless at that altitude, seemed like I was hardly accelerating from 90KM/h, and I was in 4th gear and about 1/2 throttle too!!

The only problem I had was right before I got home, the stupid metal sunroof latch cover came loose. It is the thing that is held on by 1 screw, I went to close my sunroof when I got home and felt it just hanging there, so the screw must have fell off since I got gas last becuase I opened my sunroof then, and it was all good then.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Re: Trip to BC 1400KM

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

That's fantastic gas mileage. Hooray for high compression 4 cylinders. I've been wondering what a 13+:1 NA/DI Ecotec could do for gas mileage...

(Wait, that's not using those F#@$ing Canadian gallons, is it?) :-P

I drove the 3.6 PFI Cadillac CTS to the top of Sandia Crest in Albuquerque, NM (~10K ft). WOT in 2nd gear would barely get the car up the hill.
befarrer

Post by befarrer »

That is using Canadian Gallons.
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

It's amazing altitude does. No one believes it, until they have experienced it. Try living at 7,000ft every day! I take road trips to the mountains, where 10-12k isn't uncommon, and talk about a power loss! At 7,000 it's about a 21% loss.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
Blue Shift

Post by Blue Shift »

Steven and I both notice climbing the grade at 4000Ft to Tehachapi. 7 or 10K must be brutal.

Hey Befarrer, I have the same engine with 5 speed (but 94') awaiting inspection/install in my other car... How are you measuring MPG? Km/L? I was lining up a replacement for my worn out duke when I realized 1.) I couldn't put another duke in 2.) the Q4, even the HO, got more mileage than the duke in the same chassis as factory installed, though at twice the output.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Q4's high compression really does it.

When I was out in Albuquerque this June, I drove up the back side of Sandia Crest. It's only 10K feet or so, but the poor CTS I drove definitely felt it. It had the standard 3.6 with 260 HP. That was ok on the highways in town, but near the top of the mountain, I was flat footed in 2nd gear and barely accelerating... maybe 20 seconds to go from 40 to 70 (uphill).

Hehe... when I got to the top, the brakes were hot enough to smell.
befarrer

Post by befarrer »

Blue Shift wrote:Steven and I both notice climbing the grade at 4000Ft to Tehachapi. 7 or 10K must be brutal.

Hey Befarrer, I have the same engine with 5 speed (but 94') awaiting inspection/install in my other car... How are you measuring MPG? Km/L? I was lining up a replacement for my worn out duke when I realized 1.) I couldn't put another duke in 2.) the Q4, even the HO, got more mileage than the duke in the same chassis as factory installed, though at twice the output.
I can hit 40MPG (Canadian) with mine on the highway doing 70MPH. On the trip above I averaged 39MPG going there and back, with my best and worst mileage of 36 and 42MPG. The HO Quad 4 does reccomend running on 91 octane. It will run on 87, but performance and economy is reduced, it also pops though the exhaust alot more, especially when cold. It is a good engine, I run mid to low 15's in the quarter mile at Edmonton altitude at 89-91MPH, with no weight reduction or anything other than lower air pressure on the rear tires (30PSI), and the jack and spare removed.