Redyno'd the whip W/VIDEO

Dragstrip, autocross, and all track posts go here.

Moderator: Series8217

Shaun41178(2)

Redyno'd the whip W/VIDEO

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Took it back to the dyno yesterday. Didn't do any tuning just pulls.

Temp in the dyno room was 97 degrees with about 80% humidity.

12 lbs of boost. Hyperuetectic pistons. WCF Kevlar/kevlar clutch. Its holding 460lb ft. More tq then Motortv's turbo 383 lt1

I can post up vids for the doubters if someone thinks I stole this dyno graph.

VIDEO~~

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Fier ... 703128.htm
Last edited by Shaun41178(2) on Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
Emc209i

Re: Redyno'd the whip

Post by Emc209i »

Post the video anyway. Standard procedure around here isn't it?
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

We can tell by the AFR chart that you didn't do any tuning :crazy:
Shaun41178(2) wrote:Didn't do any tuning just pulls.

Way to go on the runs. You've got the torques of at least 3 4.9Ls
Jinxmutt

Post by Jinxmutt »

Those are great #s on only 12psi!! Was this with nitrous? Its good to see your transmission still holding together as well. Keep up the good work and get that afr a bit more dialed in!! :good:
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Funky shape to that graph. Did you purposely cut the runs off at 5K? Did you crop the photo? You made a second peak at 5K, what happened above that?

Obviously, it doesn't have the precipitous 4500 RPM drop-off normally associated with the Fiero intake manifold.
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

I assume run 2 was with the spray, were you running exactly a 90 shot?

280hp and 373lb/ft is damn good. 460lb/ft with the spray is impressive.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Woops... couldn't see the whole graph on my notebook... You did run it out past 5500. Desperately needs tuning. Flatten the AFR out around 4K and you may pick up that sag in the middle of the graph. That's some serious area under the curve that you're missing out on.
THE PUNISHER

Post by THE PUNISHER »

The car didn't have rear brakes for a year, you really expect him to tune it?? hahaha.

What size shot are you running?? Is it the same as when I drove it?
Fuck you Shaun , one day those little boys will talk and when they do you will get yours.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

my tach is off more then I thought. On the red run, The car was taken to 6500 on my tach. AS you can see it really only hit about 5400 or so. On the nitrous run it was taken to 6k on my tach so it really only did like 4800 rpm. I have no clue why my tach is off so much. It wasn't always like that. I didn't want to push it past 6500 on the factory tach, as then I would have no real way of knowing just how much rpm it was really hitting.

Yea I need to pull a bit of fuel back between 3500 and 4500. I am down around 30 hp or so in that range if I had to guess.

Yes jon same shot as when you drove it.

300 whp without nitrous is definately possible with this setup on 2-3 more lbs of boost and cooler temps and taking it a bit higher in the rpms. Not only that, but my wastegate dumps right under my turbo. When on the street thats not a problem as I am moving forward and clear of the exhaust, but on the dyno it hits the floor and bounces right back up. I am losing some hp there too.
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

TheFieroBoy

Post by TheFieroBoy »

Shaun41178(2) wrote:I didn't want to push it past 6500 on the factory tach, as then I would have no real way of knowing just how much rpm it was really hitting.
The dyno machine should have an on-screen tachometer.
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

This is a 3.4L iron head with the Will dual TB intake? Cam? Just curious as to what went into those numbers.
THE PUNISHER

Post by THE PUNISHER »

It's a SC61 Turbo , Intercooled.. no muffler.. Tuned by Mail. I think it has WCF headers on it..

it's suprisingly mild for what it's making. I have seen guys with the "Miller woods" kits barely able to break 160WHP.. And we have all seen Shauns Dyno Video's of big buck V8 swaps making 230Whp..

It's nothing special that's for sure.. just shows what you can do with some knowledge vs. a Check book.
Fuck you Shaun , one day those little boys will talk and when they do you will get yours.
AkursedX
Turbo-boostin!

Post by AkursedX »

THE PUNISHER wrote:It's a SC61 Turbo , Intercooled.. no muffler.. Tuned by Mail. I think it has WCF headers on it..

it's suprisingly mild for what it's making. I have seen guys with the "Miller woods" kits barely able to break 160WHP.. And we have all seen Shauns Dyno Video's of big buck V8 swaps making 230Whp..

It's nothing special that's for sure.. just shows what you can do with some knowledge vs. a Check book.
The main thing is that it shows what happens when you put a real turbo on a setup! The sc61 is maybe just a touch on the big side for a 3.4 litre, but it's still far better than the rinky-dink turbos that come on most Fiero turbo kits. I think the K03 turbo on my GTI is bigger than the IHI that design-one was using.

Those are some really nice numbers. I'm suprised that you have been holding tranny's together fairly well.
'88 Fiero GT- 3800 Turbo Best E.T. 11.36 Best MPH 121.50 (Sold and gone)
2021 Hyundai Veloster-N (SCCA Solo D-Street)
2004 Mazda RX-8 (SCCA Solo STX)
WNY SCCA-Region Auto-X Program Chair
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

TheFieroBoy wrote: The dyno machine should have an on-screen tachometer.
It does. I just told him to go off my tach.

61mm isn't too large for a 3.4. I think its actually about right between spool and power. I plan to go with a 67 on my next build or a billet 6262 with my aluminum heads. My buddy has a 67mm on his 1.8 liter honda. It spools fairly quick IMO. You just have to be in the right gear. The ihi in the design one kit is the same turbo that came on the isuzu impulse 1.6 liter as well as the ford probe turbos. Its only good for like 220 hp TOPS. The T3 that dennis used on the kfg kit and that everyone else uses is only designed to flow a max of 300 hp but thats a like 23 psi. Fiero owners aren't running that of course. All because they love to cry about how larger turbos will be laggy. Does my non nitrous run look laggy? 250 lb ft at only 2600 rpm?

I would really like to see some dynos of these smaller turbo Old Europe cars to see where their tq is.

Sardonyx or whatever his name on fagland uses a turbo from a chrysler 2.2 liter and brags of 7 psi of boost by 1800 rpm. LOL. That thing runs out of breath by 4500 on a 3.4. He also said that hyper pistons won't take boost too well. He blew up his engine on 7 psi so he built a fully forged motor, only to still run 7 psi. Talk about a waste. Yet my hyper pistons seem just fine even with nitrous.

But yes, this just goes to show what a properly sized turbo on a 3.4 can do. It still produces good low end tq as well as plenty of midrange tq which is where you would be when passing. Not to mention much more top end hp. I remember seeing a Miller woods kit on 12 psi or so only putting down around 180-190 whp on a fully tuned and intercooled setup. My turbo on the same boost did 280. It just goes to show boost isn't equal to durability or hp as much as those on Old Europe will claim. But then again we are dealing with Old Europe members here afterall.

I bought my motor used so just going off what the previous owner used. He took out his 3.4 to put a v8 in it. Not sure if he ever did it or not though.

3.4 hyper pistons
260 or 272 cam don't remember.
gasket matched heads and lower intake.
stock valvetrain, no fancy rockers as I confirmed with the valve covers off.
Fiero store sprint manifolds.
Custom crossover
38mm tial external gate
procharger a/a intercooler.
3 inch downpipe.

Also Will's custom intake. Its a single tb design but with two plenums. Using 56mm DM ported tb but intake was built to use a 65mm tb.

I have been thinking of selling the turbo setup to help fund the new setup. Its obviously proven to make good power. If anyone is interested or hears of someone wanting to turbo their v6 direct them this way please. thx

Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

AkursedX wrote:
Those are some really nice numbers. I'm suprised that you have been holding tranny's together fairly well.
I keep from launching it which probably helps. However its always in the back of my mind when its going to blow. Not to mention I don't have a 30 lb flywheel to speed up the grenading process like a certain v8 kit.

Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Shaun41178(2) wrote:
AkursedX wrote:
I keep from launching it which probably helps. However its always in the back of my mind when its going to blow. Not to mention I don't have a 30 lb flywheel to speed up the grenading process like a certain v8 kit.
Yeah, 1st gear is when things are really loaded up. A given engine torque in 2nd only puts 58% as much load on the diff as the same torque in 1st. Also, turbo power is easy on drivelines compared to N/A power.

Other than guys like Matt Hawkins, most people who break 282's do it because they're doing something dumb, not because they're making a lot of power.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Last edited by Shaun41178(2) on Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Nice numbers Shaun, I would kill for some down low torque like that!... Have to drive the crap out of the GTR to get it to perform, turbos don't reach full boost until 5000rpm. Good thing I have an 8500rpm redline...

Are you running a stock cam?
Last edited by crzyone on Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shaun41178(2)

Re: Redyno'd the whip W/VIDEO

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

I am running a 272 I think but no way to verify. Just what the guy I bought the engine from said.

Here is the vid.
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Fier ... 703128.htm