996tt vs C6 Z06

Talk about your other cars here.

Moderator: crzyone

eHoward
Banned

996tt vs C6 Z06

Post by eHoward »

vs

I'm entertaining getting a sports car since I'm getting very bored of my legacy.

The 996 and the c6 can be had for about the same cost. However the 'vette would be about 5 years newer. And cost 1/10 to maintain. And have Nav and other goodies. And have about 100 more horse.

So my brain is saying get the vette, but my gut wants the sexy porsche...
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Re: 996tt vs C6 Z06

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Mods or just to toole around in?
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

Porsche's aren't nearly as bad as people make it out to be, do some research to make sure you know what kind of prices you're getting into, but for the most part it's not that bad as long as you don't try to buy parts at Autozone.

I'd go with the 996 but that is just me. The corvette is just an outdated car in my book.
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

I don't anticipate mods initially beyond suspension (fancy dampers) on either one.

I plan on driving them on a track for OLOA.

I think the 996 would be the easier one to drive due to the AWD and less horse, but haven't driven either on a test drive, which is going to be different from 10/10ths.
The Dark Side of Will wrote:Mods or just to toole around in?
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Corvette outdated? It's still in production.

Buddy co-drove in the One Lap this year... He was in a non-mutual friend's Honda Fit.

Been wondering about running The Mule in it... in like 5 years once I'm done adventuring.

What I've read about the 996 is that it's VERY easy to drive, but of course I've never driven one. C6 is also easy to drive, but putting down 500 HP through two tires takes some care.

They're not available on the ZO6, but if you're into fancy dampers, you can get the magnetorheological ones on the regular Vette (and the ZR1, of course). Nab a base Vette for cheaper than the ZO6 and put the difference into a turbo kit. LS3's in particular have an absolutely ridonculous boost response.

Or just have Levi nab you a Skyline.

There are also 355's on Ebay in the 50-60K range.

'91 Diablo for $80K: http://www.lamborghini-talk.com/vbforum ... 0-a-11724/
You can probably find a Countache cheaper...
CincinnatiFiero

I've never driven a Corvette and not had it just feel dated. They are fast, yes, and *cheap*. But its never done it for me. They don't have the style of the Porsche, they don't have the refinement. And with the prices they are asking currently, you ought to get that refinement. Read the thread title, for the money of a new Chevy you can have the top of the line German import for. If you are going to drop $70,000-$90,000 on a car you are moving into the upper echelon of cars, and bang for buck isn't always what you're after. If I spend what some people spend on a house, I don't want to have the same keychain as cobalt owners, and have it serviced next to a venture. If I had that kind of money, I'd like to get some class with my dollar, and the corvette just does not have the class. I suppose in that respect I'm old school and uppity, but that is my opinion. Yes the Vette is the budget conscious choice, but I am not catching that Howard is after that, if he was, he never would have posted the 911. Dollar per dollar the corvette wins, absolutely, But it will never be the car that the 911 is. Its like our old Range Rover vs. SRT8 convo, dollar per hp and even raw speed the SRT8 wins, but the SRT8 will never be half the truck the rover is.

With the X51 pack, you'll get about 450hp with the TT, making that difference up and if you're really dying for it, plenty of companies make a simple ecu to boost the piss out of it, and if that isn't enough there are plenty of intakes, cat-backs, diverter valves, etc to take it to 11.

However if I had $20,000 to spend, the C5 Z06 is one of the best bangers for your buck.

But this thread is about opinion, not about fact, afaik none of us own a C6 Z06 or a 996TT.

But I think you get what I am saying... you just suggested a Countach.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

I haven't driven many Vettes, but I have test-driven a base C5. It confirmed my suspicions by having typical "big-bar" GM handling. It stayed VERY flat in the corners, but had a lot of vertical chassis motion due to having soft springs and stiff bars.

If all you want to do is drive the hell out of it and change the oil, get the Vette.

If you want positive assurance that you'll get different pussy every one of the 68 days a year it's not in the shop, get a Lambo or Ferrari.

The Porsche is somewhere in between.

I like to lust after the Italian machinery, but I don't think I could ever own one (or any classic British sports car) because I *HATE* working on a car without fixing it. Blame my Pontiac 6000.
CincinnatiFiero

I think we agree, I just use harsher words.

A Porsche is a supercar you can daily, the Ferrari is guaranteed pussy but finicky on the maintenance. But I drive a Red '68 912 (not even the baller one) and get nothing but rubber neckers, many are good looking ladies, so the 911 will get you some trim too. Right up until I hit a deer. :-D The Corvette image has been marred by SO many 50 year old men buying them because Gladys or Pat said they could finally buy ONE sports car. So they bought a base model automatic and spend their evenings waxing it and bitching at the neighborhood kids. And once a month they put the top down and take it to a mid level steak house and that's living, a night on the town in the supercar. Sorry that is all the corvette says to me, yes you can put a big motor in it, but you can't outrun the retirees that own them.

A 911 says, I am not all that practical, but I love a GOOD car, so I bought one, fuck the haters who say it takes 14 quarts of import Castrol EuroBlend at $9 a quart, I don't care. I see 20 corvettes daily, I only see one 911.
Indy

Post by Indy »

The C6 Z06 defies the traditional American definition of a "sport/race" car: bigger engine in a smaller car, which is the group that most of your above-mentioned cars fit, the SRT8, et al. The Z06 is a quite complete and well-engineered racing package. When you analyze the differences between it and a base model C6, it's quite easy to think of it as a seperate model altogether. That and they look like sex.

Everything I've seen indicates that the Z06 can be hustled around a track faster than a 996 but it will take much, much more work from the driver. But you already know all of this. Which one do you really want?
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

I toyed around in a 996 turbo for a few months a couple years ago. Back then it was a nice ride, but last year I had a lot more time in a 997 turbo. Completely different car, the 997 is so much better in every way. But it costs more.

You will feel down on power in the 996, although its rated at 425, the auto trans and AWD are good at making it perform like 350. Also, both the 996 and 997 turbos don't make full power in our conditions without higher octane. This seems weird, but there was a pump place that had 100 octane and I tried it, and goddamn what a difference. It was still quick with the 93, but 100 made a lot of difference. So either way get the 6-speed. But then you've got to watch it, because hard launches vaporize the clutch, which costs half the car to replace.

997T > C6 Z06 > 996T
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
CincinnatiFiero

Indy wrote:When you analyze the differences between it and a base model C6, it's quite easy to think of it as a seperate model altogether.
You hit it on the head, except you can't separate them. The $70k and $130k Z06 and ZR1 look just like the base model. The SRT8 looks just like what the mom next door drives, SRT4s look like neons, Cobalt SSes look like cobalts. To the average passerby you almost have to explain and justify the extra cost, "yes but the nurburgring times! and the titanium suspension bits," yet it looks like the cheaper one. That's why I dislike American cars, we suck at packaging. And yeah the 911TT looks like the base 911, but what the hell is wrong with that.

Howard this thread is stupid, our opinions don't really matter, its not our money. Will, Indy, Aaron, Myself, everyone else will argue until the C7 comes out and none of us will have bought either. Go spend yours and post pics of what you come up with. I've driven 911s and Vettes, I'd have the 911, I just prefer them, the 911 has undeniable character and personality that the Corvette doesn't seem to give me. Hell I bought a 911, but I also own 4 fieros, so what the hell do I know about good cars.

I'd go test drive both and see what puts a bigger smile on your face.
CincinnatiFiero

Last edited by CincinnatiFiero on Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

Get back to me after you've changed it. Oh, didn't think about that?
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
CincinnatiFiero

A clutch is a clutch, it can be changed. Bring your 996 over, I'll swap the clutch out, rear engined is slightly different but not that big of a deal, on the older 911s we actually just remove the motor with the car on a lift, pull the clutch, new one on, motor back in.

A friend is actually doing a 996 non turbo clutch at his shop right now, did not appear to be that bad, took less than an afternoon, charged the guy less than a grand to do it.

So I'm back to you.

You don't have to be a complete ass hole in every thread.
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

The Z06 seems like the *smarter* way to go. The 996 is what I want.

Will, women aren't a factor into my decision making progress. If they were, at these prices, an F355 convertible or 456 would be pretty tempting.

Indy wrote: Everything I've seen indicates that the Z06 can be hustled around a track faster than a 996 but it will take much, much more work from the driver. But you already know all of this. Which one do you really want?
CincinnatiFiero

Sportscars aren't smart decisions, buy the 911.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

The Dark Side of Will wrote: Or just have Levi nab you a Skyline.
If he was Canadian it would be all too easy. The R33 GTRs are 6 months away from being legal as well.

I'd pick the Corvette. The LS engines are impossible to beat and it's a great platform. A high power RWD car will make you learn how to drive fast.
AkursedX
Turbo-boostin!

Post by AkursedX »

The porsche would be more baller, but I'd choose a Z06 simply because I think it'll be more reliable and easier/cheaper to maintain. I had a good amount of seat time in the C6 Z06 and I must say it was the best car I've driven.
'88 Fiero GT- 3800 Turbo Best E.T. 11.36 Best MPH 121.50 (Sold and gone)
2021 Hyundai Veloster-N (SCCA Solo D-Street)
2004 Mazda RX-8 (SCCA Solo STX)
WNY SCCA-Region Auto-X Program Chair
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Nissan GTR is in the same price range... Just don't *ever* actually use the the launch control.
CincinnatiFiero

Don't pretend like you give a shit about reliability or running costs if you want to suggest the GTR...

My opinion of supercars is they aren't supposed to be practical. However I know people that drive 911s all day every day with no issues. I know someone who has a grey market 996 turbo coupe and a US spec X51 convertible and he drives both daily. His weekender is a Carrera GT.

Howard, have you driven either?