I've completely lost all motivation to work on my car

A place for fun discussion of common interests we have besides Fieros

Moderator: ericjon262

Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

I've completely lost all motivation to work on my car

Post by Aaron »

When I was first doing the engine swap, and the turbo 3.4 build, I would work tirelessly day after day after day. 16 hour days, working until 2-3 in the morning were not uncommon. But now that I had it running, running fucking good, and driving, I've completely lost all motivation to continue it. I've pulled the engine out of both my wrecked black car, and my new white car, and I'm ready to start the swap, I just won't do it. The things is, I know why I don't want to do it. Because I know I can. There's no challenge at all, it's a matter of loosening bolts, moving items, tightening bolts. So I'm not sure what to do. I can't sell it, because frankly it'd be financially stupid as I have so much put into it, but I don't want to finish it. I'm lost. And with my job paying decently, lately I've been looking at getting a 67-69 Camaro, and building that up. I don't know what to do.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Re: I've completely lost all motivation to work on my car

Post by crzyone »

Sell it. I felt the same way with my fiero, hard to sell since I had so much into it but the reality is you will lose money on it.

I don't think I could own a muscle car. The sloppy handling isn't for me. I know there are suspension kits out there for them but it's like a suspension kit for a fiero, it's only so good.

My next project will be a LS1 FD3S RX-7. I can't imagine the power of my GTO in a small 2 seater that weighs 1200lbs less :twisted: I can get a JDM RHD RX-7 for around $5k with a blown engine. About perfect for a project car.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

I got some seat time in an FD3 right before I left to come here. They're sweet cars and definitely world class chassis. I *barely* fit and would need a sit-on-the-floor racing seat to actually own one.

The story of my life...
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

scrap both fieros
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Just *having* something isn't really a good life goal. What happens when you get it? You don't have any more goals...
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:I got some seat time in an FD3 right before I left to come here. They're sweet cars and definitely world class chassis. I *barely* fit and would need a sit-on-the-floor racing seat to actually own one.

The story of my life...
I'm 5'8, I fit in everything :-D
Unsafe At Any Speed

Post by Unsafe At Any Speed »

You can come up and build a cage for my racecar if you want. :-D
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

crzyone wrote:I don't think I could own a muscle car. The sloppy handling isn't for me. I know there are suspension kits out there for them but it's like a suspension kit for a fiero, it's only so good.
In this case, not so. Kits for Fieros and skylines are just bushings, springs, shocks/struts, and anti-roll bars. Maybe a bumpsteer kit, but they aren't really redesigning the entire geometry.
Several companies offer entire front subframes for those Camaros, with C4 'vette front suspensions, and even better suspensions than that, already there. Fitting a 315/35R17 tire on the front is no challenge, and these new suspensions will keep all 12" of tread flat on the road. Likewise, fitting IRS to the rear.
If Aaron has the funds and chooses wisely, he can have his Camaro mop up your Skyline, excellent as it is, in a strictly-handling situation where your AWD would be no help, if there was such a situation. Or just remove your front driveshaft. Then it could be fair.
Aaron, I'm not famous like Troy Trepanier, Chip Foose, or any of them, but I know those Camaros.
I advise, based on experience both ways, park your Fieros, but don't sell them. Better to have them, sitting, waiting.
Blue Shift

Post by Blue Shift »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:I got some seat time in an FD3 right before I left to come here. They're sweet cars and definitely world class chassis. I *barely* fit and would need a sit-on-the-floor racing seat to actually own one.

The story of my life...
I tried sitting in a drop top S2000 at the SF auto show years ago and couldn't not look over the top of the windshield. The Japanese folks looking at the huge American trying to cram in were having the laugh of a lifetime, it was pretty funny. I also found that Miatas are not my friend either, especially with a suitcase pressed up against my ribs and the dash.
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

Atilla the Fun wrote: If retard has the funds and chooses wisely, he can have his Camaro mop up your Skyline, excellent as it is, in a strictly-handling situation where your AWD would be no help, if there was such a situation. Or just remove your front driveshaft. Then it could be fair.
retard, I'm not famous like Troy Trepanier, Chip Foose, or any of them, but I know those Camaros.
I advise, based on experience both ways, park your Fieros, but don't sell them. Better to have them, sitting, waiting.
You nailed it, and that's what I'd be looking at doing, along with an aluminum LSX and the 6-speed.

I trust you in this aspect, no doubt there. My Dad and I rebuilt a 68 Camaro while I was growing up, and I will forever love that car, even though we sold it. I wish I had pictures, it was gorgeous. I got the 4 bolt 350 running pretty good (Double hump 2.02 heads, a Comp cam, Holley Street Avenger 600 carb, and an Edelbrock intake, I'm guessing about 300whp, it's too bad the brakes/suspension were horrible.

I think I am going to sit on the Fiero. I'm going to get the engine in, part my black car out, then just see what I want to do with it. I can't sell it, I have double what I could ever dream of getting back into it already.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Atilla the Fun wrote: In this case, not so. Kits for Fieros and skylines are just bushings, springs, shocks/struts, and anti-roll bars. Maybe a bumpsteer kit, but they aren't really redesigning the entire geometry.
Several companies offer entire front subframes for those Camaros, with C4 'vette front suspensions, and even better suspensions than that, already there. Fitting a 315/35R17 tire on the front is no challenge, and these new suspensions will keep all 12" of tread flat on the road. Likewise, fitting IRS to the rear.
If retard has the funds and chooses wisely, he can have his Camaro mop up your Skyline, excellent as it is, in a strictly-handling situation where your AWD would be no help, if there was such a situation. Or just remove your front driveshaft. Then it could be fair.
Ok, well you are a little mis-informed about Skyline GTRs.

You can replace every single control arm on a GTR with adjustible units. The suspension is already world class to begin with. Unlimited coilover selection, brake selection and you can fit a 315 tire on all 4 corners-stock. Adjustable upper control arms, tension rods, you name it and you can buy it. You can even buy beefier Nismo control arms for added strength and less flex.

The ATTESA E-TS AWD system isn't for traction. The car is a RWD based car with the AWD kicking in when the car senses oversteer. It brings the back end around for you which makes it faster in the corners.

The Skyline isn't a Fiero. You are only limited to your wallet. There is no way a vintage camaro will compete with an equally prepped GTR.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ttvFrko7P4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPhR1Kh-s5E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33Xa6yNV ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42KwIMakoaE
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

Ok, well you are a little mis-informed about Skyline GTRs.

You can replace every single control arm on a GTR with adjustible units.

I did know that. It may sound desirable, but it's more chances to screw up a great thing.

The suspension is already world class to begin with.

well, it used to be. same for the '84 vette in it's day, and the '88-up 'vette IFS is at least the equal of yours.

Unlimited coilover selection, brake selection

ditto for most of the aftermarket front subframe/suspension options for the early camaros.

and you can fit a 315 tire on all 4 corners-stock.

I've seen 295s stick out of the wheelwells, so you must be referring to a non-nissan widebody kit.

Adjustable upper control arms, tension rods, you name it and you can buy it. You can even buy beefier Nismo control arms for added strength and less flex.

The aftermarket stuff for early camaros comes already stronger than anything you need to upgrade

The ATTESA E-TS AWD system isn't for traction. The car is a RWD based car with the AWD kicking in when the car senses oversteer. It brings the back end around for you which makes it faster in the corners.

I was contending that it helps handling. It also helps traction.

The Skyline isn't a Fiero. You are only limited to your wallet. There is no way a vintage camaro will compete with an equally prepped GTR.

Not so. I will concede that I don't own a skyline, but it seems I know them better than you know the extent of what's available for early camaros. Go do alot of extensive research before being so argumentative.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Atilla the Fun wrote:
I've seen 295s stick out of the wheelwells, so you must be referring to a non-nissan widebody kit.
You must have seen a GTS skyline. Skyline GTRs have a factory widebody. With proper offset and width wheels 315s fit fine. Anything wider requires an aftermarket widebody.

My car could probably fit 355s all around but it's been proven that anything over a 265 tire on a GTR is diminishing returns. Wider tires don't equal faster lap times.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

Same deal for later Camaros. Anything over a 275 is diminishing returns. But none of these have a heavy BBC V8 sitting between the front contact patches, so those might love a 315. A a r o n, got any pics of the black car after the incident? did I miss them somewhere on RFT?
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

crzyone wrote:
Atilla the Fun wrote: My car could probably fit 355s all around but it's been proven that anything over a 265 tire on a GTR is diminishing returns. Wider tires don't equal faster lap times.
That sounds like a lack of sufficient horsepower, not a surplus of rubber.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

The more square inches of contact patch, the less pounds per square inch you have. And since you can't exceed 1g without downforce, once you have enough contact patch to get there, you hit the point of diminishing returns. And we are not interested in increasing the contact patch with increasing tire diameter. I think Will knows these things, but wasn't thinking of them.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

It's easy to exceed 1g without downforce; your basic Kia can do it... just not on street rubber.

Lower contact pressures let you run the same compound cooler, which allows you to run a softer compound at the same temp and wear rate (ie, number of laps between pitstops).
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Ok, well I should have said with street tire compounds (not R comps) anything larger than 265 is slower.

Not sure about slicks and race comps, they get stickier the hotter they get.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Trying to find an artile where they took a Factory Five challenge car and tested different tire widths and compared track times. Even on their car the 255 wide tires were faster than the 265s and 275s. It could be power related, they are only running a stock 5.0 mustang motor.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

Car and Driver? did a test back in the mid '80s on an IROC-Z, 255s did worse than 245s. This seems to be a recurring finding, that too wide is possible.