F23 tranny swap?

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

I_wear_pants

F23 tranny swap?

Post by I_wear_pants »

The diff came apart in my getrag, and put a hole in the side of the case over the weekend. I think the f23 might be a good option for me. I remember reading about someone swapping a F23 trans in awhile ago, but I couldnt find any info doing a search. Any info on what it takes to do the swap would be much appreciated. thanks
Jinxmutt

Re: F23 tranny swap?

Post by Jinxmutt »

Did you have the newer updated getrag with the larger diff? I think that would probably be your best bet, or a girdle of some sort on that newer style getrag. I don't think the F23 is rated for all that much power, plus the gearing is setup for a gutless 4cyl.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

I know where I have a pic of a girdle, I found the pic on Old Europe.
I_wear_pants

Post by I_wear_pants »

The car just had the original 282. I had been considering looking for a 284, but I wasnt sure how readily available they are since it has been so long since they made them.
Jinxmutt

Post by Jinxmutt »

Even the newer 282 would be an upgrade, without having to modify for a 284. Rodney dickman sells the parts for the newer 282.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

Why not just spend the $345 for a new F40?
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Somebody on this forum has an F23 behind a turbo 3800... I thought it was Jinx and I thought it was taking pretty stout abuse pretty regularly. I searched earlier, but the search engine is being a bitch and won't find *any* instances of "F23" anywhere on the forum, which I know is bullshit.

While the 284 is pretty strong and not hard to swap, you'll have to take out a second mortgage for an aftermarket clutch. SPEC aluminum flywheel + Stage 3 clutch is close to $1000.

While $350 will buy you a F40, you will still have to buy/fab mount brackets, shift linkage and axles.
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:Somebody on this forum has an F23 behind a turbo 3800... I thought it was Jinx and I thought it was taking pretty stout abuse pretty regularly. I searched earlier, but the search engine is being a bitch and won't find *any* instances of "F23" anywhere on the forum, which I know is bullshit.
When they upgraded the forum, it lost all of the old threads.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

When they upgraded the forum, it lost all of the old threads.[/quote]
That truly sucks. Worse than anything that has ever sucked before.
I_wear_pants

Post by I_wear_pants »

I just got a line on a 91cavalier V6 5 speed tranny. Does anyone have an idea as to what tranny that would be and if it would work?
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

That should be the 284. Rodney has what you need to get it working.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Its not a 284. Its a 282. The 284 came behind the 3.4 dohc motors.

If the tranny came from a v6 cavalier then its probably the getrag. If it came from a 4 cylinder cavalier its probably the isuzu.
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Aaron wrote:
The Dark Side of Will wrote:Somebody on this forum has an F23 behind a turbo 3800... I thought it was Jinx and I thought it was taking pretty stout abuse pretty regularly. I searched earlier, but the search engine is being a bitch and won't find *any* instances of "F23" anywhere on the forum, which I know is bullshit.
When they upgraded the forum, it lost all of the old threads.
An unrestricted search for "F23" should return *THIS* thread, even if it doesn't find anything else. However, it finds NOTHING. There's a stranger problem with the search engine. I thought Howard had indexed the older database entries so the search engine could work on them...?
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

I_wear_pants wrote:I just got a line on a 91cavalier V6 5 speed tranny. Does anyone have an idea as to what tranny that would be and if it would work?
Are you looking for a 282 bolt in, or are you looking for an F23 to swap? THe '91 V6 5 speed *should* be an internal throw out arm 282. You can use Rodney Dickman's slave cylinder adapter to use the Fiero slave with that trans. I don't think the hydraulic throw out bearing transmissions started until '92, but I could be wrong.
I_wear_pants

Post by I_wear_pants »

Im looking for a getrag now, I was just trying to see what my options were because I havent been having any luck at all finding a tranny with the exception of the one I mentioned above. The cavalier tranny is local so Ill see if I can take a look at it this week to see about the throw out bearing.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

The search will not allow you to use keywords less than 4 characters in length.
Use google instead:

http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Ar ... ch.com+f23

Here's the thread you're looking for:
phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=87774&sid=214cb6e ... 2dff74a837
Aaron wrote: When they upgraded the forum, it lost all of the old threads.
This is simply not true. All of the threads that have been made on RFT are still here.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Series8217 wrote:The search will not allow you to use keywords less than 4 characters in length.
A) It sure would be nice if it FUCKING TOLD ME THAT instead of just telling me it can't find anything.

B) That policy if COMPLETELY FUCKING STUPID because of the number of three letter designations and TLA's that are used in technical jargon.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:
Series8217 wrote:The search will not allow you to use keywords less than 4 characters in length.
A) It sure would be nice if it FUCKING TOLD ME THAT instead of just telling me it can't find anything.

B) That policy if COMPLETELY FUCKING STUPID because of the number of three letter designations and TLA's that are used in technical jargon.
Almost every forum search I've used has this limitation. I think it's because there are so many 3-letter words that the database would be orders of magnitude larger if they were indexed, and for some reason most admins don't think that's worth it.. or don't know how to change the setting.

Either way, google works a lot better than most forum searches anyway. Since realfierotech is indexed, use it!
I_wear_pants

Post by I_wear_pants »

I talked to the guy again at the local yard and the car he has with the getrag has 158xxx on it. I would hate to replace my trans with a worn out one that will fail soon. My getrag that failed only had around 140k on it...
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

Mileage seems to be less of a factor than whether or not the previous owners/drivers did a lot of one wheel peels. Rodney Dickman describes, on his website, how to test a getrag before purchase. The F23's gearing is better suited to trying to get performance with a small engine.