I has a Jeep

Talk about your other cars here.

Moderator: crzyone

Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

I has a Jeep

Post by Aaron »

I had to drive my Mom to the Jeep dealership to have a control arm replaced on her 2002 Overland Grand Cherokee. While there, I asked if they had any SRT8s. They didn't, so I ordered one.

It will be a 2010 Grand Cherokee SRT8. I ordered it in silver, the rest of the colors just didn't seem right to me. The Modern Blue wasn't pearl or dark enough, it was more a bastard cross between silver and blue. And Red Rock was way too dark/burgundy. The black is black, which involves cleaning. So I looked at a normal Grand Cherokee in silver, and the silver definitely looks best IMO. I took the normal Jeep for a drive, and that Hemi moves pretty good for being a 4250lb Jeep! I can't imagine it with another 80hp.

I went down the list and checked every single option available (Except the block heater). I ended up getting it for $41k out the door, the MSRP was at $53k when I finished checking boxes. It has a 3yr/36,000mi bumper to bumper warranty, and a 5 year, 100,000mi powertrain warranty. It should be here in about 6-8 weeks, and I can't fucking wait. I'm not sure where to start on the mods. I definitely will play with it a little, but I think I'll leave the motor mostly alone. No one makes equal length headers for it, so I may make a set of 180 degree long tubes for it, make an intake, then a true dual with Corsa mufflers. But beyond that, I think I'd rather make it look better. So I'm thinking a new hood, the Mopar spoiler, and a drop. Time will tell.

Options:

# POWER SUNROOF

# NAVIGATION/REAR BACK-UP CAMERA GROUP

Includes:
AM/FM/CD/DVD/HDD MP3 MyGIG™ Multimedia system (with navigation, model RER), 6.5" TouchScreen, USB, 30 GB Hard Drive, Music Management Database
ParkSense™ Rear Park Assist System
ParkView™ Rear Back-Up Camera
Rear View Auto Dim Mirror with Microphone
Sirius Satellite Traffic
UConnect® Hands-Free Communication

# SRT HIGH PERFORMANCE AUDIO AND NAVIGATION GROUP
Includes:
11 Speaker Kicker SRT High Performance Audio
200 Watt Kicker SRT Subwoofer
276 Watt Kicker SRT Amplifier
AM/FM/CD/DVD/HDD MP3 MyGIG™ Multimedia system (with navigation, model RER), 6.5" TouchScreen, USB, 30 GB Hard Drive, Music Management Database
Rear View Auto Dim Mirror with Microphone
Sirius Satellite Traffic

# SRT OPTION GROUP I

Includes:
115V Auxiliary Power Outlet
Air Conditioning Automatic Temperature Control With Dual Zone Control
Auto Dim Heated Exterior Mirrors
Heated Front Seats
Instrument cluster w/performance display screen
iPod control
Memory For Radio, Driver Seat, Mirrors
Power 8-Way Driver Memory 4-Way Passenger Seats
Power Adjustable Pedals with Memory
Rain Sensitive Windshield Wipers
Smartbeam™ Headlamps

# SRT OPTION GROUP 2

Includes:
Automatic Headlamp Leveling System
Heated Second Row Seats
High Intensity Discharge Headlamps
Uconnect Multi-media
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
Indy

Re: I has a Jeep

Post by Indy »

Boy. Someone's made outta money. New job?
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

And the hood I want, $1150 for it in carbon fiber, or $850 fiberglass :shock:
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

Aaron wrote:I took the normal Jeep for a drive, and that Hemi moves pretty good for being a 4250lb Jeep! I can't imagine it with another 80hp.

I thought you drove SRT8s all the time?
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Where'd I say that?
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

What happened to you getting a '67-'69 Camaro? That way you woulda been investing, rather than just wasting, your $41k. Or, you coulda had a new Camaro SS with the TR6060.
Unsafe At Any Speed

Post by Unsafe At Any Speed »

Nice. You'll have to let me check it out next time I'm down there.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I constantly have about 8 ideas/projects/money pits going through my head at any one time. There's no way do decide between the 8, and there's no way to afford more than 1 at the same time, so I have to rely on impulse decisions, because otherwise I'd spend the rest of my life trying to decide. I was at the Jeep dealer, the Service Manager told my Mom that he couldn't give her the control arm for free, and I said, "What if I buy a SRT8?" He said that would change things, so I did. We saved $240 on the repair!

Other ideas were a C5 Z06, a 2002 SS Camaro to mod, a 67-69 Camaro, a E46 BMW M3, a E39 BMW M5, or a Pontiac G8 GXP.

This Jeep will beat a new SS Camaro to 60, and hold it side by side through the 1/4mi. And it blows the Camaro out of the water in terms of option packages.

Who cares about the investment? I didn't spend the money to make more money later, I spent it to enjoy my life, and it's worth every fucking penny if it puts a smile on my face day after day.

Unsafe, sounds good dude, just give me a couple months to get it in!
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Unsafe At Any Speed

Post by Unsafe At Any Speed »

New Camaros are already a dime a dozen anyway. I've only seen a few SRT Jeeps around.
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

Aaron wrote:Where'd I say that?
So all the shit you talk about SRT8s is based on... shit you read in a magazine? Wow dude. At least I actually drove it when it came out.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

I can get that, but the difference is I HAVE all 8 of the projects that I keep thinking about. You might have the launch of the SS since you have AWD, but you also have no chance at the top end with 1 HP less, and way more aero drag. Plus drivetrain losses, your automatic eats 10% more of the engine's output than a TR6060. How much does the AWD eat? Besides, now you get to bitch about how the new Hemi doesn't have 1% of the aftermarket support of the SS's LS3 :-) But for something you can drive in the winter, yes, the Jeep is sweet!
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Atilla the Fun wrote:I can get that, but the difference is I HAVE all 8 of the projects that I keep thinking about. You might have the launch of the SS since you have AWD, but you also have no chance at the top end with 1 HP less, and way more aero drag. Plus drivetrain losses, your automatic eats 10% more of the engine's output than a TR6060. How much does the AWD eat? Besides, now you get to bitch about how the new Hemi doesn't have 1% of the aftermarket support of the SS's LS3 :-) But for something you can drive in the winter, yes, the Jeep is sweet!
I can't afford to have more than 7 of mine!

I'd beat the SS to 60, and basically tie in through the 1/4mi, but past that, it'd pull me no problem, because of the aero, auto, and AWD. The Hemi has decent aftermarket support, but yah, it's nothing next to the LSX. I plan to drive it year round!

Unfortunately, no one makes equal length headers for it, so I'm tossing around building a set of 180s for it.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

that might become your new nickname, Mister 180. 1.75", 1.875", or stepped? Merge collectors? Tri-Ys would give you lots of useful midrange torque. I vote stepped tri-Ys with merge. Then upgrade your cats to a pair of MagnaFlow's stainless-steel-core ones, they flow about 20% more than your stockers. Once you get the old ones off, be sure to smash them on a rock until they get holes in them, so the replacement is legal.
jelly2m81

Post by jelly2m81 »

yesh, no matter how quick it is, thats one ugly lookin vehicle. What's up with those wheel wells? Was they gonna put them snow tracks on it? Holy! gaps and seams around the headlights / front end Batman! :shock:
One thing is for certain looking at all the new Chrysler vehicles, they definitely cannot make an interior.
Last edited by jelly2m81 on Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

You should have bought a car you can race with. Camaro, GTO, G8... a lot of good V-8 cars to choose from these days.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

This could benefit from some stripes. Maybe paint it white, then add blue stripes, since that scheme has always been the one assigned to american entries at international events. Look at the original Shelby Mustangs, the '69 Firebird Trans Am, '84,'94 and '99 Anniversary TransAms and so on. Dodge did this to the fullsize ram sometime since '93. Too bad the BMW X5? X6? has 555 hp and wider and stickier rear tires. Does that Jeep do 0.92g cornering like the BMW?
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I personally like the way it looks, so it's a good thing it's my money, and my decision.
crzyone wrote:You should have bought a car you can race with. Camaro, GTO, G8... a lot of good V-8 cars to choose from these days.
But the car would be worthless 8 months out of the year, and I can't handle that, I need a reliable daily driver more than I need a race car. So the Jeep serves both well enough for me. Not to mention for those 4 months, I've got a 480hp Fiero.
Atilla the Fun wrote:This could benefit from some stripes. Maybe paint it white, then add blue stripes, since that scheme has always been the one assigned to american entries at international events. Look at the original Shelby Mustangs, the '69 Firebird Trans Am, '84,'94 and '99 Anniversary TransAms and so on. Dodge did this to the fullsize ram sometime since '93. Too bad the BMW X5? X6? has 555 hp and wider and stickier rear tires. Does that Jeep do 0.92g cornering like the BMW?
I'm not going to mess with painting it anytime soon, maybe add some old school stripes, but that's it.

The X6M takes ugly to a new level. The back end is like a Prius with a lift kit. The front end has a Z3 hood and headlights, with a E46 M3 bumper. Also, for having a 130hp advantage, it sure is pathetic on the track. It posts identical 0-60s, and identical 1/4mi times. It only beats the Jeep by .04g around corners, and reading the C&D article, the drivers all commented on how harsh the ride was. And the MSRP? Double.

The X6M, Range Rover, and Cayanne Turbo are in a different class, and shouldn't really be compared. The only reason they are is because the Jeep is on par (Better than par) on acceleration. The only other car in the Jeep's class is the SS Trailblazer, and it gets embarrassed by the Jeep in everything but towing capacity.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

If I had the Trailblazer SS, I could fit it with Silverado HD parts until it's eat the Jeep, but if I had it, I'd either sell it or make it a museum piece. The Bimmer, I'd drive it like a rental and not feel bad about it. The Jeep? I'd lift it, fit it with 37 inch tires, and make it prove to me if it's worthy of being called a Jeep. I'm sure the Wrangler is still worthy.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Atilla the Fun wrote:If I had the Trailblazer SS, I could fit it with Silverado HD parts until it's eat the Jeep, but if I had it, I'd either sell it or make it a museum peice. The Bimmer, I'd drive it like a rental and not feel bad about it. The Jeep? I'd lift it, fit it with 37 inch tires, and make it prove to me if it's worthy of being called a Jeep. I'm sure the Wrangler is still worthy.
If I had the Trailblazer, I'd sell it and buy the Jeep. The Jeep literally disgraces the TBSS. The only categories it doesn't is in towing and rear seat comfort. I don't have anything to tow, and I don't sit in the rear seat.

With 37in tires, it would not be worthy of being called a Jeep. The transfer case is single speed, and not made for off-road. It earns its Jeep badge in other ways. Like walking a Cayenne Turbo. That's why I like it though, it's still a badass SUV, but not for the typical reasons. I love the Wrangler, but the SRT8 just fitted what I wanted more.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

SRT = "Street and Race Technology", right? No mention of off road or low range in that.

Now if they had an equivalent off-road package, that would be sweet. Factory 4:1 T-case...

SRT8 2 door Wrangler would be interesting.