I has a Jeep

Talk about your other cars here.

Moderator: crzyone

Atilla the Fun

Re: I has a Jeep

Post by Atilla the Fun »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:SRT = "Street and Race Technology", right? No mention of off road or low range in that.

Now if they had an equivalent off-road package, that would be sweet. Factory 4:1 T-case...

SRT8 2 door Wrangler would be interesting.
Chrysler has enthusiasts working there, no doubt, but they aren't accomplishing 70% of what they could with GM parts. The definition of Jeep is general purpose. This is exactly opposite of building a station wagon with power going to both "axles" that can't go off road. And a SRT Wrangler? Did you miss where a couple of years ago someone put a Viper V-10 in a Wrangler? And more recently, the 6.1L hemi has been stuck in some Wrangler. No clue where I saw that. Because why should I care about the second best V8? Did you know that they used Corvette LS1 exhaust manifolds to design the new hemi heads? They did. There's no sense in focusing on how new vehicles come, when you're comparing vehicles that everyone always modifies right away. The TBSS might lose if you compare stock to stock, but with cam, headers and a tune, it's a whole different story.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

Oh wait, I forgot, you can't swap cams because you can't tune for it. The guys who brought us LS1Edit still can't offer a NewHemiEdit. Stupid Chrysler. You reckon you could get LSX electronics to run a new hemi? That would be cool. Then COMP has 4 different cams you could try.
A a r o n, don't stay all mad at me, I only give grief to people I consider friends. No matter how misguided :-)
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

What happens if you put headers cam and a tune on the SRT8? Not sure where you heard that you can't tune the SRT, there are hundreds running around with that exact setup. The Hemi has a very large aftermarket, just not as large as the LSX yet. But all aluminum 440 blocks are available, along with CNC ported heads, cams, etc.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

HotRod, May '07, P.102: "Stock Mopar computers don't tolerate hot-rod mods well and there are NO consumer-friendly reprogramming options for the production computer." Also, HotRod, Sep. '07, P.93: "The inability to give the computer new instructions on fuel and ignition timing requirements. The Hemi's speed-density air metering system doesn't make things any easier, either" So that answers that. Now, back to the cats. I don't know what's under your new machine, but since my 200 HP 4.3 came with a pair of 2.5" cats, one for each bank, I'll assume yours has a pair of 3" cats. And those $80, ceramic-core cats aren't OBD2-compliant, but MagnaFlow has some stainless-steel-core cats that are OBD2 legal. They tested a new, stock, Dodge 3" cat on their SuperFlow 1020 flow bench, at 28" of H2O, and found 310 cfm. So, a pair of those still doesn't meet the ideal of 2.2 cfm per HP. Then they flowed their own 3" cat, and came back with 409 cfm. You definitely need a pair. Anyone wanting info on the 2.5" cats can send me a PM.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I don't know if anyone is tuning them "at home," but I can tell you this, there are hundreds of dyno shops that are tuning them, and you can buy mail-order tunes for them. Besides, I hate tuning, I'll someone to do that. The computer is not a set back at all, there's already turbo/supercharged/nitrous Jeeps running around with perfect A/F maps.

As for the cats, I don't plan on building the exhaust, I'm planning on going with a catted Corsa system. The stock cats are good enough, people aren't gaining even 10hp with the exhaust, it is competent from the factory, so I'm sure the Corsa ones are good enough.

By the way, the people on the Jeep forums told me that there isn't enough room for long tube headers, thus I couldn't do it. I remember what happened when the Fiero people told me that.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

After you do a set, offer to let Hooker or Hedman cut them apart and copy them, for a small fee, of course. Better yet, have them bid against each other for who gets the rights to your design.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Ha, as much as that'd be cool, I doubt they'd want to. They sell easy headers. A 180* set would need a number of bolt together flanges, and wouldn't be easy.

If I do make a set, I want them to be completely stainless. This means I need to buy a TIG welder...
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Atilla the Fun wrote:HotRod, May '07, P.102: "Stock Mopar computers don't tolerate hot-rod mods well and there are NO consumer-friendly reprogramming options for the production computer." Also, HotRod, Sep. '07, P.93: "The inability to give the computer new instructions on fuel and ignition timing requirements. The Hemi's speed-density air metering system doesn't make things any easier, either"
The key info to take from this is *'07*. That's two years ago... Ancient history in terms of development of ECM hacks.
I_wear_pants

Post by I_wear_pants »

Aaron wrote:Ha, as much as that'd be cool, I doubt they'd want to. They sell easy headers. A 180* set would need a number of bolt together flanges, and wouldn't be easy.

If I do make a set, I want them to be completely stainless. This means I need to buy a TIG welder...
You can weld stainless with a mig welder.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

But I'd need to get new gas and wire, and although my MIG works, I think a 220v TIG woulg be a lot better. I've wanted to learn how to TIG for a while now, plus then I can easily swap between aluminum/mild steel/stainless very easily.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

My Jeep is in Phase D - firm schedule: serial number assigned, approx time in station - 5 days

I believe the approx time in station means it will be in Phase D for about 5 days. So far it needs to go through E,F,G,I,J, and K, then I get it. It's not looking like it's delayed, so everything should be on track!
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
jelly2m81

Post by jelly2m81 »

Not sure how Chrysler works, but with GM, serial numbers are assigned to vehicles once the vehicle is produced.

If you have a serial number, perhaps your farther along then you think.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Unfortunately not, I wish! Thanks for trying to help my spirits though. I cannot wait.

C - tentative schedule
D - firm schedule: serial number assigned, approx time in station - 5 days
D1 - gateline: unit sequenced for production, est ship date assigned, Approx time in station - 12 days
E - framing
F - paint
G - trim
I - unit built, pending final inspection
J - vehicle passed final inspection but not released to carrier
JB - shipped to body vendor
JE - shipped to emissions
JJ - consigned to body vendor
JS - shipped to storage
KZ - released by plant and invoiced
KZ L - released but not shipped
KZ M - first rail departure
KZ N - first rail arrival
KZ O - delayed/received
KZ OA - plant hold, quality audit
KZ OB - zone, dealer, sales, vehicle prep, tax, diversion or derailment hold, dealer refusal, vehicle diverted
KZ OC - carrier delay, strike-bound, emission or safety hold, rail car shortage, bad or insufficient load, inclement weather, need shipping order, manifest error
KZ OD - mechanical failure, glass damage, vehicle in repair, lacking parts or storage hold
KZ OE - misdropped or misshipped vehicle
KZ OF - shipped air freight, stolen vehicle recovered, show vehicle, test info code, vessel sailed
KZ OG - damaged vehicle, stolen vehicle, abandon to carrier, vehicle scrapped, donate vehicle, repair and auction
KZ OH - all other "O" type carrier codes
KZ T - second rail departure
KZ U - second rail arrival
KZ X - delivered to dealer
KZ Y1 - major damage - must not be sold as new
KZ Y2 - major damage - vehicle sold at auction
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

Have a nice KZX!
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Wow, look at all that bureaucratic crap... no wonder US auto manufacturers are in trouble.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

You don't think any non-US car companies have similar stuff in place? I bet they all do.
jelly2m81

Post by jelly2m81 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:Wow, look at all that bureaucratic crap... no wonder US auto manufacturers are in trouble.
I was thinking those event codes were a bit extreme and confusing.

Here's GM's event codes for comparison

1100, Preliminary order accepted
2000, Order accepted by GM
2030, Order re-edited (if necessary)
2051, Order changed thru Web
2500, Order preferenced
3000, Order accepted by production control
3100, Order available to sequence
3300, Order scheduled for production
3400, Order broadcast
3800, Order produced ( Vin assigned)
4000, Available to ship
4104, Bailment Invoice
4200, Shipped
4300, Intermediate Delivery
4B00, Bayed
5000, Delivered to the dealer
6000, Delivered to the customer
9000, Order Cancelled
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Atilla the Fun wrote:You don't think any non-US car companies have similar stuff in place? I bet they all do.
They remind me of all the personnel codes used by Bupers (Bureau of Personnel)... and in the words of a friend from my reserve unit "The *DMV* makes sense compared to Bupers"
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Still no Jeep! It is scheduled to ship from Chrysler on Nov 4, so I should have it by the 10th. I've already started to buy things for it though! Here's my list of things that are either bought and on the way, or sitting in my bedroom waiting. I have not yet ordered an exhaust, as I'm still unsure what I want to do for that. For right now I'm thinking I'm going to buy a 220v TIG welder, and make a set of 304 stainless steel 180* stepped long tube, equal length headers, then combine that with a Corsa exhaust. But the Corsa has an X-pipe, so I'd cut that out and put a pair of Cat Converters in its place. I'm also going to build a custom cold air/ram air intake for the hood, I'm thinking of starting with a LS1 Camaro airbox. Combine that with a CMR tune, and the Jeep will be in the mid 12s easy. Here's what I've got so far:

SRT emblem for front grill ($40)

RamMedic Carbon Fiber ram-air hood that I will be painting silver ($1040)

Bwoody Poly, 7/8" (Stock is 5/16"), upgraded Sway Bar Links ($185)

Bwoody 1" dual rate lowering springs front, 1.7" rear, poly bump-stops ($370)
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

but they're non-adjustable. I'm sure they're fine with their drop springs or stock, but still, non-adjustable. :-)