Another 3.4TDC Turbo up and running

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

coinage

Another 3.4TDC Turbo up and running

Post by coinage »

Took me long enough, but for the most part it is done. Needs tuned BAD, but normal driving is cool.

I was having a slight axle problem which resulted in the axle tri pod thing coming out of the coupling and putting a hole in the tranny, no good.

Anyway, trailered the car to my buddies house that has a lift last sunday,worked on it after work all week and buttoned everything up today and seems to running decent enough,just a stalling issue,but other wise is running rather well. Drove it about 20 miles today.

The basics,
94 motor/wiring, ported heads/intakes, ARP main studs,head studs, rod bolts, fully balanced bottom end, Quarter Master twin disk clutch, Garret 60-1 BB turbo,Tial 38mm,a/w IC.

86GT 4sp
94 LQ1, 60-1 Garrett BB Turbo-A/W IC-ARP main studs,head studs,rod bolts-QM twin disk clutch/button flywheel-Ported heads/intakes-50lb/hr injectors-Fully balanced-88 cradle swap-Held adjustable solid rear links-12" brakes-Chase Cage-
Atilla the Fun

Re: Another 3.4TDC Turbo up and running

Post by Atilla the Fun »

why a 60-1?
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

looks great. should make good power once fully tuned in. I am guesing you are using a factory computer with a chip?

My dohc turbo drives fine around town but needs WOT tuning. Even on boost it doesn't feel like its making any power.
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
coinage

Post by coinage »

Atilla the Fun wrote:why a 60-1?
I had it from my first motor I was going to build up (3400 block/iron heads) and still was decent enough for this project.
http://www.squirrelpf.com/turbocalc/gra ... duct_id=62
86GT 4sp
94 LQ1, 60-1 Garrett BB Turbo-A/W IC-ARP main studs,head studs,rod bolts-QM twin disk clutch/button flywheel-Ported heads/intakes-50lb/hr injectors-Fully balanced-88 cradle swap-Held adjustable solid rear links-12" brakes-Chase Cage-
coinage

Post by coinage »

Shaun41178(2) wrote:looks great. should make good power once fully tuned in. I am guesing you are using a factory computer with a chip?

My dohc turbo drives fine around town but needs WOT tuning. Even on boost it doesn't feel like its making any power.
Thanks, normal driving is great except that it has a stalling issue at the moment, stalls when you take it out of gear while cruising,like when coming to a stop...whether the clutch is in or not.

The more I drove it yesterday the better it got, I only went WOT a few times but the WB hovers around low 10s. Its pretty ballsy in its current state, my buddy with a 500whp cobra was impressed. Car sounds amazing too (no muffler/cat,just a 3" DP).
86GT 4sp
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

how does that clutch setup feel?
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

coinage

Post by coinage »

Pedel is tight and heavy... chatters like a mofo, but overall feels good. Right now its like a leg workout for me, Im used to driving a 5speed A4, I think my throttle cable might be heavier than the clutch on that ,haha.
86GT 4sp
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

What year computer are you using? If it's a 91-93, you can hook up the Fiero clutch switch, and that will fix the stalling. If you're running a 94-97, then you'll need to find someway else. I had Darth reprogram my 95 chip for the Fiero and the 42# injectors, and he I guess encoded his own 94-95 idle software, and mine never stalls.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
coinage

Post by coinage »

It's a 94 ECM... Not sure if I ever told darth that I'll be using 96 intakes, would that make a big difference in idle quality?
86GT 4sp
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I doubt it. What size injectors do you have? Does Darth know you have larger injectors?
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
coinage

Post by coinage »

50lb/hr

yeah he knows about them
86GT 4sp
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

They might be too big for the 3.4 computer to effectively control, but mine are 42.5 and do fine. My last guess would be to adjust the idle screw a little, hold the throttle barely open, just until it starts to raise your idle RPM.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
coinage

Post by coinage »

I dont think they are too big, other than cold idle (probably related to the ring gaps being opened up a little), idle is rock solid at ~900.

edit to say that my slave cylinder took a dump :evil: ...way too hot. I need to wrap the crossover and make a heat shield to cove the slave. Thank god the clutch fork didn't snap :bad:
86GT 4sp
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

use a rebuild kit for the 89 mr2 if you have the 13/16 slave which I think you do since you have the 4 spd. it has a double seal on it as opposed to the single on the fiero unit.

I also wrapped my slave in heat wrap, as well as wrapped my crossover. no problems since.

coinage

Post by coinage »

Got the slave apart,the seal didnt look to bad.. it may have blew out, brown shit on the piston part in front of the seal so maybe.

Measured the bore and got a little less than 21mm or around 13/16th.

Im using the muncie 3.65 4 speed so Im guessing the muncie uses a bigger bore.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

no you have the right slave. if you are going to rebuild it get the 89 mr2 slave rebuild kit. its cheaper then the fiero and it fits and has double seals. its like $9

also take some 600 grit sandpaper to the inside of the slave bore to clean out any gunk or ridges that could tear the new seal upon installation. you don't have to hog it out, just a couple passes and wash it out with brake clean untill it runs clean and the bore looks clean

Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

that's good info. new to me, but seems worth knowing. so I appreciate you guys sharing it.
coinage

Post by coinage »

I must be dyslexic or something, I could have sworn your post said 11/16. :crazy:
86GT 4sp
coinage

Post by coinage »

nevermind, I think the clutch fork finger/hook things snapped. Out comes the motor again...
coinage

Post by coinage »

Going to be switching to a hydraulic throw out bearing verses the usual slave and fork setup.

http://racingclutches.com/product.phtml?p=55&cat_key=89
86GT 4sp