harness specs

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

slowpoke

harness specs

Post by slowpoke »

I have an 88 that came with a four cylinder and I was swapping in a 3800sc. Well the other day I came across an 88 with a v6 in a lot better shape. My question is will the wiring harness that I bought need to be modified in order to work on the v6 car? And would I be better off to just sell that harness and buy another?
I wasn't banned, I'd just rather be here.
CincinnatiFiero

Re: harness specs

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

Does the V6 car have the same options? The A/C runs through the C203 and the Cruise control runs through the C500.
slowpoke

Post by slowpoke »

No the options are completely different. The v6 car has cruise, electric mirrors and windows, it has the two gauges in the center of the dash and and 4 banger came with nothing but a/c.
CincinnatiFiero

Mirrors and windows don't tie into the engine harness, nor do the auxiliary gauges. But the A/C and cruise are part of the motor harness. Are you running cruise and A/C on the 3800?
CincinnatiFiero

I didn't see that they are both 88s, the harness should work, you just may have issues with those two accessories. As far as I know the C500 and C203 connectors are the same across all the years, just the colors of the wires change. In the 84 the C500 is in a different spot.
slowpoke

Post by slowpoke »

I would like to have the cruise on it but its not a necessity. I was not going to run the a/c right now but it is suppose to be in the harness for later. However it took seven months to get the harness and I honestly don't know. I will have to check on that.
slowpoke

Post by slowpoke »

Ok, the a/c is on the harness but there is no cruise. I am not worried about the cruise though. I'm checking with the guy that made the harness to make sure there isn't anything about the harness that makes it need to be on a four cylinder car. But if there is no diffrence in the c500 and c203 then everything should be great right?
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Ignition power is different on a 4 than a 6. I think it's just the gauge and fusing, and that the pin is the same.
slowpoke

Post by slowpoke »

I assume if it is pinned the same then the harness should be fine. So do I need to switch the gauges?
jelly2m81

Post by jelly2m81 »

The only thing thats different between the 88 Engine harnesses as far as plug and play is if it is an auto or 5 spd trans. For some reason they decided to use a different pin out for the Starter wire. E2 is used on the 5 spd's, A4 on the auto's.

If you end up with this you can simply swap the starter wire in the harness side to the corresponding cavity for the car side harness.

If the harness was built to plug into an 88 there should be no other differences.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

d-oh.. forgot about the crank wire. When I make a harness, I usually do a jumper to hook both pins together so the harness doesn't care what the car originally had.
slowpoke

Post by slowpoke »

Thanks guys, that helps a lot.