a L67 in a 98 mitsubishi eclipse ?

Talk about your other cars here.

Moderator: crzyone

EarlBarnes
Earl's not that bad.

a L67 in a 98 mitsubishi eclipse ?

Post by EarlBarnes »

My 98 mitsubishi eclipse has a oil seal leak and im about to yank the engine out of it, But I have all the parts to a newly built L67, And was thinking about assembling it to go into my mitsubishi eclipse, So far here is all the things I plan on doing

Keeping the stock stick shift transmission and going with a adapture plate and a high preformance clutch, Im going to get the transmission rebuilt, Using the stock stickshift will make it hell of alot easier to do, and I won't have to convert it to auto, planning on going with some stronger made axles tho.

I did some messuring and it seems the blower is going to come damn close to the hood lid, Im hopping to mount it low as possible to avoid it hitting the hood. But I might go with a NA intake and just turbo it, I would also have to get ahold of some NA heads to a 3800 to make things easier.

The mounts will be easy to make and it will have a dogbone, this will be the easy part of the swap,

The wiring might prove to be difficult but a 98 mitsubishi eclipse is already obd2 so splicing the l67 wiring into the gauges and sensors shouldnt be soo hard, The exhaust is gonna run just like a GTP's exhaust so im not too concerned about that part, The crossover will have to be modified to clear the shift linkage and ect,

The other hard part is a eclipse has no real type of subframe and most of the engine mounts to the frame of the car via side mount,

Other snags will be adapting the powersteering hoses to the L67 unit, And I have not researched the coolant hose route yet, The radiator might need to be replace and the front end fabricated to hold a larger size radiator, I might experment with the stock and see if its up to the job of cooling a L67, Another problem is the L67 is about 3 to 4inches wider and I might run into problems with the headers interfering with the radiator, But I will find out all about it when the engine comes out in 1 1/2 months

ppl might think im crazy for putting a american engine in a import, But if you think about it the mitsubishi engine is american made and runs in alot of dodge neons and other dodges, Yes I could throw a turbo version of a mitsubishi engine on it and call it a day, But having a L67 in a mitsubishi eclipse will certaintly be different hehe, And I will be one of the only ones to actually do this, Ppl have already put them in cavaliers and of course fieros.
:Yahoo!:
THE PUNISHER

Re: a L67 in a 98 mitsubishi eclipse ?

Post by THE PUNISHER »

I have a turbo mani for a 420a Mitsu motor.

Buy it and reign supreme.

$80
Fuck you Shaun , one day those little boys will talk and when they do you will get yours.
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

Or he could buy a 4G63 and dump the 420a turd.

L67 could be cool, it is MUCH wider than an 420a (obviously). They didn't do a V6 in the 2g, so... I dunno.

I think all kinds of wild engine swaps are cool, so I'm fully behind it, but you need to weigh time and cost against the final result. Isn't an L67 massively heavier than a 420a?
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

I'd just fix the seal leak and call it a day. L67s are neat in a fiero, a car with traction but putting it in an eclipse probably won't be much fun.

Not worth it imo.
befarrer

Post by befarrer »

Dont the mitsubishi Eclipse's with the mitsu motors run backwards from most others? On a normal FWD car, the engine is on the passenger side of the engine bay, and the transmission is on the drivers side. On the Eclipse's that I have seen, and most Honds's, the engine is on the drivers side, and transmission is on the passenger side. I think they do this because the engines run backwards from everybody elses. So if that is the case, and you install an L67, you may have 1 forward gear, and 5 reverse.

I dont know what the 420a motor is, but Mitsubishi used a Chrysler 2.0L engine as the base engine in the eclipse (same engine as a DOHC Neon), the only difference is the head is reversed to put the exhaust out the front of the engine in the Mitsu's. This engine is laid out normally with the tranny being on the drivers side.

As you can see here with a 96 Eclipse:
http://www.jdm-motor-sports.com/images/ ... hs-DSM.jpg

If you compare it to a L67, it is reversed:
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x284 ... lant-1.jpg
Unsafe At Any Speed

Post by Unsafe At Any Speed »

I'm assuming he has a 420a (the 2nd gen's non turbo engine). It's on the passenger side of the engine bay. The 4G63 is on the driver's side, thus swapping a 4G63 into a N/A 2g really isn't practical. Unless you want to do it just to do it, I really don't see an advantage to going with the L67 over a turboed 420a or even selling it and getting an AWD.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

The 4G63 turns the same direction as normal engines (clockwise), but because the AWD transmissions had four shafts instead of three (counting the differential), which means there's one more direction reversal than with the Fiero transmission, which puts the engine on the opposite side of the car.
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

420a