Mitsu..

Talk about your other cars here.

Moderator: crzyone

lucky

Mitsu..

Post by lucky »

The wife has a 4G94 lancer. P0421 for anyone savvy. O2 sensors are new-ish so the only possibility is dead front cat. The car's got 130k on it and most of the rest of the exhaust is rusting out as well.
Stock front cat is $800+ from mitsu, and a little over $300 for an aftermarket. I found a ceramic coated stainless Tri-Y header with downpipe for $140, and a performance cat-back for about the same. OBX makes a direct fit rear cat that's high flow, but not just a pass through.
Now, MA doesn't check for factory emissions equipment as long as the car passes a sniff test, and the MIL isn't on. Stock configuration, the ecu takes a reading before the in manifold cat, then compares it to just before the rear cat, it takes no measure of rear cat function.
Now, of course I can just bolt all these things together and move the rear 02 to behind the rear cat. I don't know what the ramifications of doing this could be. I shot OBX an email about the rear cat, big question was if it is designed to be a stand alone cat or not.
This code is specifically that the front cat is not warming up fast enough. I don't know if this is measuring actual temperature or just efficiency. Obviously moving the front 02 ~8" away from the head, and the cat ~2-3' away from the front 02 will change the exhaust temps at the sensor and the cat.
I'd hate to do the work just to have the code still be there. Anyone know if it's actually looking at temperature? Thoughts about if the ceramic coating could keep the temp up enough to function similarly to stock; obviously wrapping it will help too, but could it be enough?
lucky

Re: Mitsu..

Post by lucky »

Thought you guys might get a kick out of this.

Sent: Sunday, November 22, 2009 9:30 PM
To: info@obxracingsports.com
Subject: 209CAT
Hi! Found someone on eBay selling these, but that part # doesn't show up on your website. Wondering if I could get some more information on this cat. Is it designed to be a stand alone cat, or is it for use only as the secondary cat? Is it uni-directional (I know most cats are), if so is the 02 bung before or after the catalyst? Thanks in advance.
Eric

info@obxracingsports.com wrote:Sorry but the website is in desperate need of updating. I would say less than 40% of the products we carry are listed on the website. You can purchase the items with confidence from any one of our authorized OBX resellers on eBay or you can buy it directly from Jeff at sales@tuningdepot.com
I wrote:That didn't answer any of my questions.
info@obxracingsports.com wrote:Check eBay. We sell a whole bunch of different cats from stainless to mild steel, ceramic to metallic honeycomb, single o2 vs. double o2 vs no o2... If you do a search on eBay you’ll find our entire lineup and will be able to choose from there.
I wrote:ANSWER MY TECHNICAL QUESTIONS PLEASE
info@obxracingsports.com wrote:First of all, why don’t you actually state the part you’re referring to? 209CAT does nothing for me as that is the part number the reseller is using. Did you try typing that into the search function on the website? Kind of ironic that nothing comes up now does it? Don’t you think it would be a good idea to ask the reseller considering he’s the one selling it? Or maybe just read his auction and look at the picture?
I wrote:Ironic that I asked several technical questions in my first email and you people completely ignored them. That's pretty poor customer service. If you had read the chain of replies, you may have noticed that one of your representatives told me that only 40% of your products are on your website; now you are talking down to me, insinuating I didn't search your website.....

I searched your site using the part# that the ebayer listed "CAT209" then I searched your website using the part # that is on YOUR label on YOUR box that they posted a photo of "209CAT". Then, since Google turned up absolutely nothing in the way of ANY technical specs on ANY of your products, I contacted you and nicely asked some questions to try to be a more informed consumer. Should I have just bought your product, installed it and called you screaming if my engine light stayed on? Is that the kind of customer you assholes want?

I am appalled at the shitty customer service you people are displaying, but thank you for making my shopping decision easier; I DEFINITELY WON'T BE BUYING ANYTHING WITH YOUR NAME ON IT, FROM ANYONE, EVER.
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

OBX is a quasi big company, interesting their sales guy would get shitty like that with you. The only problem with OBX is they are getting more well known so their $150 headers are now $299, but they do make parts for everything. The actually make headers for my '66 911 for $399.
lucky

Post by lucky »

I got an LOL back as a response to my tirade. I really wanna call their customer service # and stir up some shit.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

Reminds me of my dealings with Steeda. Right now, I suggest you just let it go. Start fresh, with other suppliers. Don't tell them about this, just wait to see who hurries to get you a correct answer, and who fails. Then let us know.