FD3S RX7

Talk about your other cars here.

Moderator: crzyone

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Re: LSX FD3S RX7

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Best argument I've ever heard for V8ing an RX-7.

CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

Finally a diagram that shows what I've been saying for years. THANK YOU WILL.

BTW my little theory on RX7s is the only thing that makes them interesting is a rotary. I'd rather buy a C6 then have to do a swap, but to each his own.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

The Cobra has far more choices of cheaper, stronger gear ratios, and likewise for limited slips of every type, all of cheaper than whatever can be had for the Mazda diff.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

CincinnatiFiero wrote: BTW my little theory on RX7s is the only thing that makes them interesting is a rotary. I'd rather buy a C6 then have to do a swap, but to each his own.
Well, the RX-7 is much lighter, which is a big advantage. I can buy carbon doors, hood, fenders, hatch, etc etc. The potential is there to build a 2200lb 7 with a striped interior. I don't want to go that far but the car has serious potential. The chasis is older now but it still has great handling. There are aftermarket suspension parts to make it handle as good or beter than a modern car. Looks are subjective but I think the FD is one of the best looking cars of all time.

The swap is half the fun of the car. Nobody expects a little RX-7 to sound like a corvette.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:
TKO instead of T56 will save you 50# or so, but cost in terms of highway RPM.
Tilton instead of full diameter clutch will save rotating mass as well as weight. With the V8 you can have plug/play kits for decent prices.

The Corba diff is aluminum case instead of the FD's iron. I think once you factor in the adaptor subframe, the weight is a wash.
Yeah, I think I'll stick with the T56 just for the highway cruise gear, availability and cost. 50# isn't a whole lot that far down in the car. This will be a sporty daily driver, so economy is on my list of wants.

On the 7 forums there are aftermarket gears for the mazda diff. I'd like something a little taller to keep the RPM down in the 1500-2000rpm range on the highway. The car is so light that even with a tall rear end it will still be great in the lower gears. I really like how my GTO is geared. I'm going to have to look into the rear end ratio. Diff strength isn't a huge factor, I'm not building a great big stroker engine and drag tires. Guys are running 10s with V-8s on the stock diff, so it's plenty strong.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

the most common T56 that'll go with your LSx is the '98-'02 Z28 version. gearing is 2.66/1.78/1.30/1.00/0.74/0.50. Available ratios for the cobra diff run 2.733/3.077/3.273/3.308/3.546/3.727/3.900/4.100/4.111:-(/4.300/4.333:-(/4.556:-(/4.875:-(/5.125:-(/5.375:-( and the ones with frowny faces after them can't be used with a limited slip, they require a spool.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

CincinnatiFiero wrote:Finally a diagram that shows what I've been saying for years. THANK YOU WILL.

BTW my little theory on RX7s is the only thing that makes them interesting is a rotary. I'd rather buy a C6 then have to do a swap, but to each his own.
No problem. :-D

Like Levi said, the 7 is a fantastic chassis. The shell is light and stiff. The suspension is SLA at all four corners with aluminum control arms and uprights. The vehicles themselves may be getting along in years, but since the design was excellent from day one, the handling doesn't get old. Nobody argues that Ferraris from the 50's & 60's don't handle well, and most of them are SLA at all four corners. Big brakes and wheels are readily available.

The only thing that's not so hot is interior room, but I have that problem with any sports car. If I were going to daily drive a FD, I'd need to get a racing seat that would let me sit on the floor.

Hinson (if they're still in business) makes bolt-in front crossmembers with V8 engine mounts, so the whole thing can bolt together without any welding. As swaps go that's just too easy.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Yup, the hinson LSX subframe is already in the car. I have the transmission mount and the custom driveshaft. It's pretty much a bolt on affair.

Just need to stop spending cubic dollars on the GTR so I can buy an engine/transmission for the 7.
CincinnatiFiero

There are certainly easy ways to do the swap and the swap certainly builds you a fast car, I just get wierdly philosophical about cars and despite sucking 95% of the time the Rotary embodies the RX7, I guarantee had the RX7 had a 2.0L 4cyl instead of the rotary, even in light of its chassis most of us never would have heard about the RX7. I am going to buy an RX7 one of these days because I just want to see what rotaries are like. I almost bought an FC a few weeks ago but I decided I'd rather just buy a tits Turbo FD than a beat old NA FC which would blow up as soon as I put gas in it, let alone boost.

RZ/Spirit R one of the sexiest cars of all time, I prefer white, but the grey is hot too.

Just because I'm hating don't stop posting pics levi. But I think you understand I'm not PK.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

I know what you mean by the rotary, the car will be soulless for sure haha.

I really liked the show Initial D, and my car has the same front bumper as the Yellow RX7 from the show. I have 2 front ends, not sure which one I want to use.

Initial D RX7

This is my current. Mind you it needs some repair and the front end is 8" in the air due to no drivetrain.

This is how it could look in a different color, I like it a lot
http://www.rx7club.com/showthread.php?t=905941

And I have this complete kit to put on the car. Front bumper, side skirts and a rear bumper.

I like the current front end because of the show, and because it's a super rare bumper. It's actually worth quite a bit of money. I like the white car because it updates the look a bit.

Opinions?
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

I think the car's flanks are beautiful stock and it doesn't need all that plastic crap down the sides to make it look like a late '90's Grand Am.

The trick is to find the right nose that works with the stock lines and rocker panels without looking like a combat bodykit on a Civic.
AkursedX
Turbo-boostin!

Post by AkursedX »

I honestly prefer the stock nose and body.
'88 Fiero GT- 3800 Turbo Best E.T. 11.36 Best MPH 121.50 (Sold and gone)
2021 Hyundai Veloster-N (SCCA Solo D-Street)
2004 Mazda RX-8 (SCCA Solo STX)
WNY SCCA-Region Auto-X Program Chair
CincinnatiFiero

I prefer the later JDM nose like on the spirit R.

I appreciate the shout out to Keisuke though.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

I'm with Will and AkursedX, if you keep it clean and silver, cops won't think you're some punk kid worth pulling over. That body kit just screams: "please arrest me and crush this otherwise beautiful machine"
The FD was the sexiest car ever the day it first came to the U.S., really no way to improve on perfection. Too bad the unreasonable pricing resulted in not enough FDs to go around for everyone who wants one.
Anyway, the body kit is right for PK86, who dreams of someday attracting a girl close enough to touch.
And since you're so damn rich, step up and get Hinson's turbo kit for LSx FDs.
BTW, what, exactly, do you do to get those riches? I may be ready to go back to college.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Well I was trying to decide between the 2 kits because I already have them. I kinda like the white one, we will see what happens.

I'm an operator at a gas plant, run the gas gathering system and control room. I'm a power engineer, and have taken many other courses. I don't want to disclose on here how much I make, but it's enough to have some fun :)
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

Thank you for being candid.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

I had to dig through a hidden folder on this site to show you some pics of where I work, you might appreciate some of the large engines I get to work with.

These pics are back in 2005, time flies

These are 6 cylinder 2000hp engines that spin 300rpm. They run on natural gas. The power pistons stick straight up, and the compressors run off the same crank shaft horizontaly.

The turbo

Walk up some stairs to the top of the engine and you can see the cylinder heads. Everything is built so you can service one cylinder at a time as needed. The pushrods are the fuel gas valves for the engine.

The intake and exhaust pipes

We also have large V-10 engines with the same output, or about the same.

And for diesel nuts, these are V-16 twin turbo, twin supercharged emergency generators. 950hp at 1800rpm. They are pretty impressive when they fire up

Most of the old pics don't work anymore, but I am on a tower here taking a pic of one side of the plant. It's huge, that is just one corner.

And the tower I was on
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

Amazing!
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Well guys, no V-8 RX7 for me. A guy contacted me and asked if I was interested in a trade for a 7 with a motor that has low compression on one of it's rotors. I've always liked rotaries and we have a local guy that builds "indestrustable" rotaries for $3k. I imagine an LS with trani and all accessories would have cost me $6-10k, so 3k to rebuild a rotary is a bargain in my books.

I've heard he uses aviation apex seals which are thicker and stronger than the standard seals. I race with him, he has an FC and an FD which put down more than 400whp with pretty good relaibility for a rotary. Any engine will fail with a bunch of race hours on them eventually.

So, my new FD which I pick up tomorrow is red. I will take some pics and post them up. If I still have the V-8 itch after owning a rotary for a while, I can still go in that direction.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

The RX-7s, of any version, don't NEED the torque of a V8, because they really can't hook it up without a bunch more spending, but at least the LSx isn't the instant hard hitter the old 350 is. Mostly because the induction is all designed for too high of an rpm range. As for the cost, LS1 is currently going for $2k, T56, which is too big and heavy for your FD, runs $1200, both with a 30 day unconditional warranty. But then there's the exhaust, driveshaft, electrical, cooling, fuel, et cetera.
My only gripe with rotaries is they rely on gearing to do the job of the engine.