Best tire size for stock gt wheels?

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

I_wear_pants

Best tire size for stock gt wheels?

Post by I_wear_pants »

I'm going to be picking up some new tires for my GT soon and I'm not sure what size to go with. I was thinking of going with 225/60/15s, but I ordered some of WCF's springs/coilovers recently so it will be dropped somewhere around 1.5" front and 2" rear. So basically what I'm trying to decide is if I should go for a lower profile tire than a 60 series since the car will be a bit lower?
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Re: Best tire size for stock gt wheels?

Post by Series8217 »

225/60/15 is a good size. You can get some sticky tires in that size, and the greater rolling diameter gives a slightly larger contact patch and is nicer cosmetically since it fills up the wheel gap.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

I say 215/60r15x7 front and 235/60r15x7 rear is best for any '84 Fiero, fit-wise.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

235s might work for drag racing, but there will be so much sidewall squirm you're not going to do well in the handling department.
KurtAKX

Post by KurtAKX »

225/50 15. Lots of don't-fuck-around autocross tires come in that size for a reason.

Additonally, they're short, which will keep your roll-out low and off-the-line grunt high.
I_wear_pants

Post by I_wear_pants »

I like the idea of the lower profile tire, but Im afraid the 225/50 will look small even with the car lowered. Anyone ran the 50 series?
mrsleeve91

Post by mrsleeve91 »

I ran 225/50's all around in BFG's G-force sports. They really changed how it handeled! Loads better but the gap was noticbly larger, and I recived several negative commets about them. But the preformace difference was worth it to me. Ill look for a pic with them on my old indy.
86 Fiero GT, LQ1 turbo HX55, getrag
94 Ranger 2.3 lima turbo, t5, lowered 6/7.5 (DD)
KurtAKX

Post by KurtAKX »

I run 225/50s in the summer, and yes there is some gap, but who gives a shit?

You can't see a gap from behind the wheel, and I'm guessing if you're terribly worried about other people's opinion of the looks of your ride, you wouldn't be driving a Fiero in the first place.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

KurtAKX wrote: I'm guessing if you're terribly worried about other people's opinion of the looks of your ride, you wouldn't be driving a Fiero in the first place.
If you have an ugly fiero. Mine had nothing but compliments.

I have to say, stance and fitment are important. I DO care how the car looks. For normal every day driving, get a tire size that looks good. 225s front and back make it easy to rotate tires as well.

Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

The gap has a huge effect on gas mileage. As for 235/60s on the rear of a Fiero, I haven't driven mine that way yet, but I've run 235/60s on 7" rims on most of my other vehicles, and the supposed sidewall squirm just is not an issue. Look at Formula 1 cars. Back around 1971 they first tried low profile tires, but then they went tall again. At present, they're still tall. Short is not always best. Short hurts ride quality, increases the stresses on the chassis, improves the odds of wheel damage, and looks doofy. you do get less unsprung weight, but that's really nothing in daily driving. Now, if you NEED 14" rear brakes, then I concede there's no sense in looking for a 235/60R17. It won't fit and probably doesn't exist.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Current F1 cars have tall sidewalls because they're restricted to 13" wheels.

Check out the wheel/tire combos on LMP cars for something closer to what unrestricted would lool like.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

They went to 13" wheels when they went to inboard brakes. I have several books on the history and evolution of F1.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

They don't have inboard brakes.
Indy

Post by Indy »

They don't have inboard brakes - anymore. The Lotus 72 and maybe a couple others (Tyrrell if I remember correctly?) used them briefly.

The advantage of a shorter sidewall is undeniable. F1 is currently limiting to 13" wheels for safety. Bigger wheels would mean the cars could maintain even greater lateral accelerations. When this is already at above 5G for a sustained high speed turn, and peaking at above 6G transitioning, the human factor must be taken into account. At 5g's the average human noggin will push around 50lbs, helmet not included.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/F ... poiler.jpg

This is mine, was stock height on 205/60R15. You'll have 10% more sidewall on 225/60R15. With a 50 series you would be running about 10% less sidewall. Would probably look alright if lowered like you say.
I_wear_pants

Post by I_wear_pants »

Thanks for posting the pic. I'm waiting for my WCF springs to come in before I order tires, but I think I'll go with the 60s to fill out the fenders. Then I'm going to install the new springs, a total poly kit, aluminum cradle bushings, and the tires all at once to freshen the entire suspension.