1990 twin-turbo 350 6-speed IROC-Z

Sell your parts/cars here. Parts & Cars - not just for "partscars."

Moderator: crzyone

alltrbo

1990 twin-turbo 350 6-speed IROC-Z

Post by alltrbo »

Well it was my dream car for years, but then I discovered the blank-slate potential of Fieros, and I need money, time, and space for my up and coming MIDTRBO, a 'twin-turbo V8 Camaro' killer in every way.
More importantly, I need to lessen my project load, as I have chronic health problems that are aggravated by the stress and that kill my ability and time to complete them all. :(

I built pretty much all of this car myself with a lot of help from Will, and it isn't quite finished, so is still in 'Project TWNTRBO' status.

'90 IROC-Z, the L98 (TPI 350) has forged pistons with 9.0:1 cr and GM powdered metal rods, ARP hardware, and rotating assembly balanced, otherwise it's a pretty much stock engine. It has a very slight knock coming from what sounds like the bottom end, but it hasn't gotten worse in about 1200 miles so I'm not so sure it's a rod knock, in which case I don't know what it is. I'm doubting more and more every day that it's a rod-knock.

Twin T3 60-trim turbos with BBSDesigns headers, running about 15psi (a bit much for warmer weather)
T56 6-speed swap with a Spec stage III clutch (MUCH stronger and better quality than the Spec Fiero clutches)
3.42 posi rear end (stock) with a JG1 aluminum driveshaft
Big front mount IC with aluminum IC pipes, dual 2.25" into 3"
Exhaust needs to be more securely connected from the downpipes to the cat-back (mild fabbing required)
Needs a new header gasket on the driver side
No emissions equipment installed
Needs a tune, runs $58 (Sy/Ty) code in the stock '730, includes memcal adapter and some IC's. Should be upgraded to Code59 now (it's based on $58), much more support and options. http://www.code59.org/
The body is pretty straight, 3" Harwood cowl fiberglass hood. The blue paint is decent except I had the front end repainted and it was done very poorly and doesn't match perfectly, needs a cut and buff at least, then will look decent.
T-tops, they don't leak unless high-pressure water is applied
Windshield is cracked, needs replaced
Interior is pretty nice, 8 or 9 out of 10. Black and gray, 4thgen Camaro seats
Decent sound system- Pioneer speakers, 10" sub with Pioneer amp, and a pretty nice head unit. I'll take $250 off an accepted offer if I keep all of this.
'97 Corvette wheels (4 fronts, so 17x8.5 all around), tires are okay but will need replaced before long
Brand new battery (rear mounted)
96k miles
Other issues here and there, nothing else show-stopping.
Clean and clear Maryland title in my name
Located in College Park, MD

It runs and I am currently driving it. Even without a good tune, it will spin into 4th gear sometimes. Pulls hard on the highway. I estimate around 450whp and around 650wtq. I haven't driven it a whole lot with the turbo setup installed, but it made the trip from Oklahoma to Maryland 3 years ago in this same state (the day I finished installing the TT setup even!)

Edit: $4000. Offer higher if you have more, please. It'll go to the highest offer. (read through this thread for the latest update).

Last edited by alltrbo on Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Re: 1990 twin-turbo 350 6-speed IROC-Z

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

I've driven it. It skooots.

Sorry to see it go. :cry: You've put a heck of a lot of work, effort and heart into it.
alltrbo

Post by alltrbo »

+1

:(
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

looks good from the pics. good luck.
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
THE PUNISHER

Post by THE PUNISHER »

Keep the car , skip the POS Fiero project....even when you are done it will be a shitty fiero that's made form chevettes , can't handle with a transmission made of cheese.

Keep the Iroc..
Fuck you Shaun , one day those little boys will talk and when they do you will get yours.
alltrbo

Post by alltrbo »

Let me just shorten this to say...

They're both the exact same '80s GM junk. It's all in how you build it.
Last edited by alltrbo on Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

Can you post more pictures of the engine? I'm not going to buy it, I just want to see pictures of the engine/turbo kit, both in and out of the car. Like a build thread would have.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
alltrbo

Post by alltrbo »

(Note, that is not the intercooler I used, it was much smaller. I decided to sell it and buy the current larger IC):

I have more that I don't feel like digging up. I didn't get any pics of the engine build, I had taken a week off work and went on a 9 day 12 hr/day building spree so I didn't have time for pics. I drove it in the auto hobby shop with a stock 305 and a crappy TH-350 auto (swapped by previous owner), built the 350 from the bare block up (the parts were ready, though), swapped it in along with the T56 conversion, installed the lowering springs, and drove it home. Will helped out a lot, but couldn't be there the entire time. The TT setup was installed later. I did that all myself.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Why not just link your build thread?
AkursedX
Turbo-boostin!

Post by AkursedX »

Awesome car man. I would almost consider trading my Fiero for it. I could actually put a cage in it and still fit! I always liked 3rd-gens with corvette wheels.
'88 Fiero GT- 3800 Turbo Best E.T. 11.36 Best MPH 121.50 (Sold and gone)
2021 Hyundai Veloster-N (SCCA Solo D-Street)
2004 Mazda RX-8 (SCCA Solo STX)
WNY SCCA-Region Auto-X Program Chair
alltrbo

Post by alltrbo »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:Why not just link your build thread?
Because I don't want the sometimes elitist Fiero community as a whole to pick apart every detail, error, and triumph of my efforts.
For anyone really interested in the car, PM me and I'll give you a link.
AkursedX wrote:Awesome car man. I would almost consider trading my Fiero for it. I could actually put a cage in it and still fit! I always liked 3rd-gens with corvette wheels.
Thanks for the kudos, your car is definitely awesome as well so that means a lot. Fortunately for you, I don't want to trade for another Fiero. :D

The IROC-Z definitely isn't as quick as yours in the 1/4, it might run near that MPH if not a bit more, but it'll run high 12's with this "traction". :D
With a strong rear-end and slicks (with all the other issues worked out of course), I wouldn't be surprised if it hit low-11's. [/benchracing]

I disabled the WG actuators and fully opened the wastegates so now it drives like a N/A car (It's a 15 minute mod to get full boost again), so that I can reinstall the N/A $8D code that I had tuned so well, at least until I can get time to tune the $58 (or Code59) better after I fix the truck. It keeps snowing on the weekends! I just bought a 1-bar MAP sensor to swap real quick because I lost the other, then in goes the $8D again.

Bump. Someone make me an offer I can't refuse. With a bit more work this will be a completely kickarse car. The base is there.
Last edited by alltrbo on Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alltrbo

Post by alltrbo »

These were taken in 2006 but it's in the same shape today. The dash was just dusty.

I installed the 4thgen front/rear seats, black plastic panels/trim and the black and gray door panels, I swapped the whole rear hatch area (carpet and all) in black as well. The front carpet is still gray (separated from the rear by the seats, doesn't look out of place at all) as is the headliner.
alltrbo

Post by alltrbo »

Taken a few weeks ago from work on the 4th floor. I love these angles. The T-tops look sweet. The car is pretty filthy, needs a good bath...

alltrbo

Post by alltrbo »

I'm desperate now, fever pitch. I wrecked my daily-driver motorcycle (at slow speeds, but it landed on top of me hard. Ouch) and I need a big down-payment and room for my new car. Both of my 2G AWD Talons are going cheap, too.
I HAVE to get to work reliably. Bills to pay and all that.

Unfortunately the IROC developed a heater core leak. I have a replacement but haven't been able to get to it. The ECU was fried from the shorts the leak caused, but the ECU issues are replaced and taken care of. In my ECU troubleshooting I believe I fouled some plugs, it's missing though it still runs. Trailer it away from here or help me fix the running-problems and you'll drive away in an awesome twin-turbo IROC-Z 6-speed for...

$4000

No joke. I posted this everywhere. If you can offer a bit more, I'll take the highest offer. Please help out a guy in need. I'll miss this car dearly (big understatement), but I've gotta do what I've gotta do.

Here's the build. More info than you could ever want, and lots of pics. Please read. I've put a lot into this car, a lot more than just money. Will speaks the truth.
http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/power ... dates.html
alltrbo

Post by alltrbo »

Sold. Speechless.
:cry: