Fiero audio

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

How far right to put thr right speaker?

Poll ended at Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:37 am

1 all the way right
50%
2 in the center
50%

Total votes: 2

Atilla the Fun

Fiero audio

Post by Atilla the Fun »

I'm a dunce on audio, I only recently came to understand the sound stage principle. That may not even be the correct term for it. But I'm under the impression that I'd enjoy my music more if I had a 3-way 6x9 speaker on each side of the dash. The left speaker aimed at my left ear, the right speaker aimed at my right ear.
Some cars use a middle speaker.
If I put the speakers near the windshield posts, the sound from the right side has to travel farther to reach my ear, so that might make it sound out of phase. I don't know if I could tell it. Maybe the right speaker should be close to the center of the dash?
I know this isn't as good as tweeters and mids, with a small woofer behind my right elbow, but I have a pair of high quality 3 way 6x9s, and I don't need the woofer. I believe I could build some speaker boxes that wouldn't look horrible sitting on the dash.
Jinxmutt

Re: Fiero audio

Post by Jinxmutt »

Couldn't you just adjust the balance a bit more to the right so the right side is a bit louder?
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

That's not the same, it doesn't even sound the same. Do an experiment with the speakers you should already have plugged into your PC at home.
lucky

Post by lucky »

Adjusting the balance is exactly what 95% of the people who are really into audio do though... and if you're not sure if you would notice if the sound is out of phase with speakers in the stock location, then I'm sure you wouldn't notice if you adjusted the balance. Just adjust the balance and fade until it sounds like the music is coming out of the back of your head.
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

Atilla the Fun wrote:That's not the same, it doesn't even sound the same. Do an experiment with the speakers you should already have plugged into your PC at home.
Works for me.
fieronews

Post by fieronews »

you can get an alpine era -g300/320 thats what I did and it will allow you to custom set each speaker so you get what you are looking for. Has a nice display with a hideaway brain box. You can get them for about 300 on ebay. It works great and very easy to work with.
Fiero Thomas
86 Fiero GT 85 Fiero GT
88 Formula T-Top
www.fieronews.net
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

You *can* build an adapter plate/block to mount 6x9's in the stock locations from below the dash.

Rather than the sound from the speakers being "out of phase", you may hear "smearing" of the high frequencies due to reflections off the windshield. Generally right below the windshield is a lousy place for tweeters.