Euro-spec

A place for fun discussion of common interests we have besides Fieros

Moderator: ericjon262

CincinnatiFiero

Re: Euro-spec

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

It reaches a point where its not worth the time. The fiero isn't that good of a chassis. It is light and makes good traction, so it takes cheap easy to get engines (L67, N*, 3.4DOHC) and makes them haul ass on a budget. I don't see the point of blowing $10,000 on an engine and re-inventing the wheel to make the computers work. I'd be willing to bet a 2010 IRS Camaro will outhandle a fiero. I've only seen a handful of fieros with expensive powertrains where I thought it was cool enough to have paid for. Chris Wests car is one of them.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Atilla the Fun wrote:The turbo 2.8 V6 seems dumb, since the USDM Chevy Colorado has a 2.9L all-aluminum 4 cylinder that's surely lighter and cheaper. Put the 2.8's turbo on that. In fact, if I had 2 more Fieros, I'd be strongly in favor of doing the 2.9 to one of them, with an F40-MT2. In the Colorado, it makes 185 hp at 5600 rpm, and 190 ft-lbs at 2800 rpm.
The 2.9, 3.5 and 4.2 have a unique bellhousing pattern. The need to use 4L60/65's with both Gen III/IV V8's and the Vortec Inline family necessitated their change to separable bellhousings.
Atilla the Fun wrote:
The Dark Side of Will wrote:But it's still more power.

Could use the T3's from a 4 point nizzine, though.

There's at least one RMT 3.6 Camaro on the streets now. I'll have to go back and look at how much boost he's running.
probably could double up on the head gaskets. Not ideal, but has been done before successfully
Since quench and mixture motion are that much more important with DI than with PFI, doubling up head gaskets is not a good idea on a DI engine.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

Then NO boost unless you're in LaPaz. At least there's still Nitrous!
CincinnatiFiero

I was at the NHRA races last weekend at Summit Motorsports park. There was a Vortec 4.2 drag car running low 8s.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

bellhousing is just an adapter plate thing. On old europe Fieroguru has a thread showing an excellent way to make custom adapter plates. It still tempts me more than anything short of an L67. They're readily available for cheap, they get 4-cylinder insurance rates, and beat the tar out of the 2.8 that came in Fieros. And if we're all being honest, we each secretly know that a 2.0L Ecotec is all we truly need to cruise the interstate, so even the 2.9 is 145% wretched excess. Or is that 31%?
CincinnatiFiero

Insurance... you claim the motor that is in your car?
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

Well, it is state insurance law that you must specify if you add more cylinders. And now that I have the one count of reckless driving on my driving record, it would increase my monthly insurance coverage payment if I do add cylinders.
I'm not pursuing a 2.9, but I've already done all the thinking possible about the LS3 and the L67, I need something new to occupy my brain in my spare time. The 2.9 seems to be doing that rather well.
CincinnatiFiero

My 87 is a 4cyl 3speed auto haha. Hopefully I don't wreck it.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

sounds painfully slow, my condolences
CincinnatiFiero

(it has been replaced with an L67/65E, the VIN reads 4cyl auto)
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

But if your insurance company doesn't know about the L67, they can refuse to pay out on any and every future claim against your Fiero.
CincinnatiFiero

They could I suppose. My friend just wrecked his turbo'ed car and insurance didn't get mad.