new dash

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

Atilla the Fun

new dash

Post by Atilla the Fun »

I was thinking about designing a new Fiero dash to remedy all the things I don't like about the stocker, so I got cardboard, marker, scissors and tape, and got started. But then it hit me: I'm tall. 6'2", to be exact. So before continuing, I called my sister. She's 4'11". She came over, got in, slid the seat all the way forward, and adjusted the recliner all the way vertical. This is how she drives her Grand Am, and in that she still needs to add cushions. I keep offering to make some aluminum blocks to move the seat tracks forward and up, but she keeps declining. Anyway, I took a 2" wide piece of cardboard, and stuck it against the base of the windshield. I then cut it at the steering wheel.
I then put my shoe on the ground where she could barely see it, about 15 feet in front of the car. Then I got my tape measure in my right hand. I started raising the back of the cardboard with my left, until she couldn't see the shoe, then measured how high it was above the stock dash.
2.5"
I had her fix the seat adjustment for me, then I got in. 2.5" worked for me too. I could go more, but decided I shouldn't.
So, if you're a tall guy designing your Fiero a better dash, and you might ever: (1) sell the car, or (2) sell your dash design as a kit, or (3) let a shorty drive it, then there's your measurement.
You're welcome.