I woke up to this idea

A place for fun discussion of common interests we have besides Fieros

Moderator: ericjon262

Atilla the Fun

Re: I woke up to this idea

Post by Atilla the Fun »

sorry befarrer, a 383 in a '70 isn't first. GM had already had the 396/402 in their pickups before that. BTW, '70 was the intro of the 454, not just in Chevelles, but also in pickups. GM totally owned Mopar in the trucks back then.
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

Crzyone wasn't challenging you, he was responding to rick trying to troll the thread. Stick to shaun rick I don't care about your car or v8archies so let us ramble about diesels in peace.

I've personally always like big inline sixes in trucks. The Ford 300-6 was a good motor, so were the big chevy straight sixes. Low revving, low end torque, smooth, and the sixes always seem to be really reliable. Some guys have made insane power out of the 4.9L Ford Straight six, anyone building bad ass chevy straight sixes?
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Pontifag gets under my skin, my posts were not directed to anyone other than him.

My dad has a 1969 Chevy CST with a 396 big block. He has also done a full restoration on it. The old 396 is a pretty tough motor, and it's quick for a truck.
Fastback86

Post by Fastback86 »

CincinnatiFiero wrote:Crzyone wasn't challenging you, he was responding to rick trying to troll the thread. Stick to shaun rick I don't care about your car or v8archies so let us ramble about diesels in peace.

I've personally always like big inline sixes in trucks. The Ford 300-6 was a good motor, so were the big chevy straight sixes. Low revving, low end torque, smooth, and the sixes always seem to be really reliable. Some guys have made insane power out of the 4.9L Ford Straight six, anyone building bad ass chevy straight sixes?
No shit. Back when I worked at the airport, we had this ancient tug with a beat-to-shit Ford straight-six in it. Thing must've weighed 5 tons, the whole body was 2-inch thick cast iron. It could tow larger planes than the newer, diesel-powered tug we had. I gained new respect for that engine after poking around under the hood.
<Insert Sig Here>
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

I drove an older Econoline with the 300 in it. Wasn't as good at passing as a LWB Supercab F150 with the fuelie 302, but was way better at getting a trailer moving up a grade from a dead stop.
befarrer

Post by befarrer »

Atilla the Fun wrote:sorry befarrer, a 383 in a '70 isn't first. GM had already had the 396/402 in their pickups before that. BTW, '70 was the intro of the 454, not just in Chevelles, but also in pickups. GM totally owned Mopar in the trucks back then.
Sorry, I was wrong, I researched it, and it was 1964 they had a sport model with the 426 Wedge in it., I wouldnt mind finding an interior for my 71 with buckets and a console.
1964 saw the introduction of the sporty Custom Sports Special. The Custom Sports Special included bucket seats, console, carpeting and racing stripes. The optional High Performance Package could be ordered with a CSS truck or by itself on a base model truck complete with Chrysler's big 426 cu in wedge-head V8. This engine produced 365 hp (272 kW) and 470 lb·ft (637 Nm) - in-line with the muscle car revolution that was then sweeping Detroit. The High Performance Package also included the LoadFlite automatic transmission, a 6000 rpm-rated Sun tachometer with heavy duty gauges, power steering, dual exhaust and rear axle torque rods (traction bars) sourced from 1961 Imperials. Custom Sports Special trucks were produced from 1964 through 1967. The High Performance Package was only offered from 1964 through early 1966.
I am not familiar with GM or Ford of that era.

The ford 300 is a good motor, very torquey, lots of them are still out there. The Jeep 4.0L Inline 6 also had a good reputation, it was not used in a pickup or anything like that, but apparently it was the motor of choice for off roading. Did the Ford 300 ever get converted to crossflow heads?
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

So, Mopar does win the title of first muscle pickup. Interesting. Still I wonder why everyone knows about the '78 Dodge red express with the woodgrain and the 360, but noone knows about the GMC Street Coupe with the more impressive 454. It was in all the car magazines of the time. Surely it( the 454 ) was "the last remaining dinosaur that "Detroit" made". Cam, headers and intake would surely result in 400 HP. Add the right speakers, definitely a"jukebox on wheels". But finding one for $700? I doubt it.
CincinnatiFiero

befarrer wrote: The ford 300 is a good motor, very torquey, lots of them are still out there. The Jeep 4.0L Inline 6 also had a good reputation, it was not used in a pickup or anything like that, but apparently it was the motor of choice for off roading. Did the Ford 300 ever get converted to crossflow heads?
Not in the US, the trucks weren't crossflow. The EFI manifold wraps up and over the valve cover and it almost looks crossflow at a glance but it isn't. In Australia they offered crossflow version of the inline 6, but that was a 4.1 I think.

I had Wrangler with the 4.0L for a long time. Easy to work on, very reliable, lots of low end grunt. Horrendous fuel economy and no power from roll. It was an '04 with a crossflow.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

The Jeep/AMC six was never to my knowledge offered with a cross flow head.

You can use a 4.2 (258) crank to stroke the 4.0 to 4.6. With head work, cam, headers and a tune it'll deliver 260 HP and 320 ftlbs. It suffers from destructive torsional crankshaft harmonics at ~5500 RPM, however, so it shouldn't spend any amount of time above 5100.
CincinnatiFiero

I'm a ritard, it wasn't crossflow I just looked at the pic of my engine. Dunno why I thought it was crossflow, maybe the 2.4 is?

I thought about trying to get power out of it, I think it is banks who has a header, exhaust, throttle body, chip, cold air kit that adds a significant amount of power and the kit is only like $1500 but the truck was an auto and wranglers are the worst chassis to start with if you had performance in mind. I don't like cherokees and a grand cherokee is too fat for it. So I doubt I'll ever build a johnny go fast 4.0L.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

Clifford Performance is the go-to source for all things related to making any American straight 6 gas engine perform. IdK if they do the late Jeep 4.0, and I doubt they do the modern Chevy 4.2, but they do the Ford 300, the Mopar slant 6, and the Chevy 230/250/292. IDK if they do the old Pontiac OHC 6, either.
CincinnatiFiero

There was some hotrod magazine article where they had a 4.9L Ford making around 700ft/lbs, it was crazy. Straight-6s really are torque monsters. I kind of wish I'd opted for a F250 with a 4.9L, but the 351W offers 60 extra HP and 65 extra lb/ft which is probably pretty noticeable.
cactus bastard

Post by cactus bastard »

pontiackid86 wrote: Id like tto see that thing beat my buddys silverado
It's too bad he gets under your skin crzyone, because that was actually pretty funny. Rather than compare the skyline to any of it's relevant competitors, he thinks the ticket is his buddy's silverado.
Why would you eat bad ice cream?
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

There are some 11 second Silverados out there, but not much with a streetable 1256 hp.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

CincinnatiFiero wrote:There was some hotrod magazine article where they had a 4.9L Ford making around 700ft/lbs, it was crazy. Straight-6s really are torque monsters.
The cylinder configuration doesn't have anything to do with torque. However, smaller port engines that aren't designed for high power output are naturally cammed and tuned for low RPM torque, which gives them more low RPM torque than engines designed for high power. It's simple coincidence that the traditional low power base engines are I6's tuned for torque and the traditional high power engines are V8's (at least in the American market).
CincinnatiFiero

Really? The cummins has always remained competitive, and actually better than the D-Max and Stroker and I always read it was because the inline 6 configuration helped it down low.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

The Cummins was never inherently better than the Duramax. In fact, take the Cummin's best config, with 24 valves, divide that by 5.9 for the displacement, and you get a ratio of 4.07:1. With the D-Max, 32/6.6 is 4.85:1. So you get more valve area per liter, which is necessary for the airflow needed for big power. The Cummins valves may be larger, IDK, which would help somewhat, but it's still not gonna breathe like the D-Max. Even with turbodiesels, you can only go so rich on the mixture, then to get more power, you need more air. Most enthusiasts realize this, but brand loyalty defies all reason. I guess people aren't as smart as they think, or they'd let go of brand loyalty and buy whatever's really best.
CincinnatiFiero

Ford and Chevrolet won't use their own motors on their heavier medium duty trucks, they both step to a Cat or Cummins diesel and the cummins they go to is a 6BT straight out of a ram, it can't be that big of a pos.
CincinnatiFiero

Picked up a spare Mercedes 3.0L Turbodiesel Today... maybe the dakota is going to become a diesel...
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

CincinnatiFiero wrote:Ford and Chevrolet won't use their own motors on their heavier medium duty trucks, they both step to a Cat or Cummins diesel and the cummins they go to is a 6BT straight out of a ram, it can't be that big of a pos.

Cummins is a little heavier built than the duramax or powerstroke.
Last edited by crzyone on Thu May 13, 2010 10:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.