I woke up to this idea

A place for fun discussion of common interests we have besides Fieros

Moderator: ericjon262

Atilla the Fun

Re: I woke up to this idea

Post by Atilla the Fun »

I recall reading something, more than 3 years ago, about some underground mine buying new V6 Dakotas, then converting them to run diesel engines to avoid the risk of a spark igniting the gasses that mines have. I believe it was a coal mine.
Anyway, maybe you can find more info on this, and maybe that'll lead you to a source for bolt-in swap mounts, and maybe other helpful info.
I don't even recall if they were using 4BT Cummins, or if it was Perkins, but it must have been a pre-computer design, since they wanted NO sparks.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

pontiackid86

Post by pontiackid86 »

crzyone wrote:Pontifag gets under my skin, my posts were not directed to anyone other than him.
Good to know im doing a good job. Hows that beaner failure you call a skyline. You figure out weather its an R32 or an R34 yet?

Or it could be a 240SX with a skyline conversion. Everyone on this forum would be dumb enough to beleave its a real one if so. :Yahoo!:
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

As opposed to a forum where its 50 year old going nowhere members are convinced their cars are based of Ferrari 308s, had the suspension designed by Lotus, and outhandle Diabos. Even LS-Jesus V8Archie can't put down 600whp like crzyone I'd put money on the Mexi-Cali GT-yaR lighting up any car on .nl. You're just being a pain in the ass to be one, why don't you contribute to the convo and have a cool discussion about diesels or just fuck off. I didn't have a problem with you and shauns love affair but trolling to troll is dumb as hell dude, which is exactly what you accuse shaun of.

I'd really like to put a 4BT cummins in my Dakota but they are too expensive to actually do it. For the time/money/effort I could buy a Cummins 6BT 2500+ truck or a 7.3 F250+ which will have more power and more towing capacity, which I'd rather do.

Very little info online about that street coupe 454 I googled around and found damn near nothing.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

pontiackid86 wrote:
crzyone wrote:Pontifag gets under my skin, my posts were not directed to anyone other than him.
Good to know im doing a good job. Hows that beaner failure you call a skyline. You figure out weather its an R32 or an R34 yet?
Maybe I wasn't clear enough in what I said. You don't get under my skin; you are not smart enough to do so. The sheer stupidity of your posts get under my skin. You are literally one of the dumbest people I've seen on these forums.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

PontiacKid86 is the only person here who is dumb enough to doubt CrazyOne, and his legit Skyline GT-R.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

CincinnatiFiero wrote:Really? The cummins has always remained competitive, and actually better than the D-Max and Stroker and I always read it was because the inline 6 configuration helped it down low.
Nope. Irrelevant.
If your port design can flow 200 CFM and you put 6 of those ports on top of 300 cid, you have 1200 CFM of total intake flow. This limits the max power the engine can make. Being a realistic engine designer, you spec a cam that will let the engine make the most of that port flow, which means the engine will make a lot of low RPM torque, but not a lot of top end. If you take that same 200 CFM port and put 8 of them on top of 302 cid, you have exactly the same displacement but now 1600 CFM of total intake flow. With the extra airflow, you can't help but spec a bigger cam for more high RPM power. This naturally comes at the expense of low RPM torque. You'd need ports to flow over 260 CFM on the 6 cylinder engine to match the power potential of the 8.
crzyone wrote:
CincinnatiFiero wrote:Ford and Chevrolet won't use their own motors on their heavier medium duty trucks, they both step to a Cat or Cummins diesel and the cummins they go to is a 6BT straight out of a ram, it can't be that big of a pos.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4039/460 ... 827b_o.jpg

Cummins is a little heavier built than the duramax or powerstroke.
Keep in mind that the Duramax and Powerstroke each have 8 of those smaller conrods, while the Cummins only has 6 of the larger ones.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Atilla the Fun wrote:I recall reading something, more than 3 years ago, about some underground mine buying new V6 Dakotas, then converting them to run diesel engines to avoid the risk of a spark igniting the gasses that mines have. I believe it was a coal mine.
Anyway, maybe you can find more info on this, and maybe that'll lead you to a source for bolt-in swap mounts, and maybe other helpful info.
I don't even recall if they were using 4BT Cummins, or if it was Perkins, but it must have been a pre-computer design, since they wanted NO sparks.

The security company I ride with only uses diesels outside the wire because fuel tanks full of gasoline tend to become bombs themselves when an IED goes off near the vehicle. Guys on my team chuckle when they see the convoys of gasoline powered armored Suburbans carrying State Dept folks around.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

Better to protect the soldiers who matter than the politicians who don't matter. Let the crooked, power-hungry weasels get blown up.
CincinnatiFiero

The Dark Side of Will wrote:
CincinnatiFiero wrote:Really? The cummins has always remained competitive, and actually better than the D-Max and Stroker and I always read it was because the inline 6 configuration helped it down low.
Nope. Irrelevant.
If your port design can flow 200 CFM and you put 6 of those ports on top of 300 cid, you have 1200 CFM of total intake flow. This limits the max power the engine can make. Being a realistic engine designer, you spec a cam that will let the engine make the most of that port flow, which means the engine will make a lot of low RPM torque, but not a lot of top end. If you take that same 200 CFM port and put 8 of them on top of 302 cid, you have exactly the same displacement but now 1600 CFM of total intake flow. With the extra airflow, you can't help but spec a bigger cam for more high RPM power. This naturally comes at the expense of low RPM torque. You'd need ports to flow over 260 CFM on the 6 cylinder engine to match the power potential of the 8.
Thanks Will, I learned something today.

However, we can almost assume that is the case with inline 6s and they will always make more torque. Despite it not being directly related to the configuration of the cylinders the cam thing always manifests itself and the cummins has always made more low end torque than the stroker or duramax. The 300 ford made more torque and lower down than the 302 etc.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

The LT1 makes more low RPM torque than the LS1.

It's really a matter of tune.
Also, in the modern world inline 6's are "niche" engines (BMW, Toyota Supra, Skyline), so they're going to have good engineering and good port design behind them anyway.

I just like inline 6's because they're smoother than V6's, although they package horrendously and weigh more.
CincinnatiFiero

Don't LS1 heads outflow LT1 heads by a substantial amount as well?

Is cummins OHV or OHC?

the S50/S52/N54/N55/M50/M52, 2JZ, Mercedes M104, RB-Series, etc are all DOHC 24V aluminum headed crossflow flow flow monsters. A far cry from an OHV 4.9L ford motor. I think an FR car should have an inline 6 over a V6, they are easier to work on, smoother, etc and I personally like the look of a big inline 6 under the hood over a v6. Now in a car like a fiero where packaging is important obviously a straight 6 really isn't an option. There was a while where I wanted to do a stretch framed fiero with an S52 and an audi trans. M1 anyone? Then I realized I'd rather spend 1/2 the money and buy an E36.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Don't forget BMW's big boy the S38.

A v6 can put the engine CG further back in the chassis than an inline 6... or alternatively build the same car with a shorter wheelbase and structural length (IE, lighter).
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

CincinnatiFiero wrote:Don't LS1 heads outflow LT1 heads by a substantial amount as well?

Is cummins OHV or OHC?
The cummins is an OHV engine. I like the cummins best because they started life as a successful industrial engine before being put into a truck. It's a solid medium duty engine. Built heavy to be used in equipment. I don't just like it better because I have one. I bought one because I knew the engine was solid. It'll probably outlast the truck it's sitting in lol...

I like straight 6 engines over V engines. They look nicer, sound nicer and are generally very strong engines. The supra 2JZ and Skyline RB26 have been known to hold stupid amounts of power on the stock long block.

I love opening the engine bay and seeing this

Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

Thanks Will, I learned something today.

However, we can almost assume that is the case with inline 6s and they will always make more torque. Despite it not being directly related to the configuration of the cylinders the cam thing always manifests itself and the cummins has always made more low end torque than the stroker or duramax. The 300 ford made more torque and lower down than the 302 etc.[/quote]
Now learn something else:
Assuming the D-Max has less low end, but knowing it can spin several hundred rpm higher, we can use a deeper first gear, do just as many MPH in first gear, but have more rear wheel torque in first gearso why should we want the Cummins? Our rear wheel HP will be higher with the D/Max because it breathes better at higher rpm, but we pay no penalty in rear wheel torque.
Plus we can choose a top gear ratio to let us get just as good of mpg on the highway, because our trucks have better aero than Dodge, and are typically 300 pounds lighter. We win all the way around. Jump on the D-Max bandwagon before it's too late and you die from being rear-ended in a slow Dodge.
:-)
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:Don't forget BMW's big boy the S38.

A v6 can put the engine CG further back in the chassis than an inline 6... or alternatively build the same car with a shorter wheelbase and structural length (IE, lighter).
Unless you're going to Speedweek at Bonneville, then the inline has the advantage.
CincinnatiFiero

I am not concerned about rear wheel horsepower in a diesel, nor am I concerned about weight. I want low end torque and reliability. The latter seems to be the d-maxes problem and the 6.0L powerstrokes. Glow plug problems, servicing problems etc. The cummins has proven its reliability, power, and longevity. I see a lot more broken 6.5L Chevies than 7.3s or 12V cummins.

I wish Mercedes Benz would sell a heavier van here I could buy. Talk about reliability. The sprinter is underpowered with its V6 (or the gen1 had a 5cyl 2.9L fabulously reliable and good for 100mph without too much weight) great for plumbers but not the most powerful tow vehicle.

I'd rock this

Mercedes 618D, OM904 4.2L 4cylinder diesel. 177hp, 500lb/ft torque @ 1,200-1,600rpms.
befarrer

Post by befarrer »

I wonder why all the big diesel engines and heavy trucks use Inline 6 motors, I cant think of any new diesel motor that is in the heavy truck or heavy industry category that is a V configuration.

Doesn't bore and stroke have something to do about torque as well, if you think about it, a longer stroke engine has more leverage on the crankshaft (connecting rod center is further away from the center of the crank), sure the piston has to move further, but it takes less force to make the same flywheel torque, but since the piston has to move further, it cant rev as high as say, a larger bore, shorter stroke motor.
CincinnatiFiero

Any international harvester truck that is T444 or now the "Maxxforce" is a 6.4L V8 (same as powerstroke but ford owns the name and they are no longer partnered)

Ford LCF uses a V6 cut down version of the 6.4L powerstroke.

Mercedes Benz uses a V6 and a V8 in their Actros semi trucks.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

CincinnatiFiero wrote:I am not concerned about rear wheel horsepower in a diesel, nor am I concerned about weight. I want low end torque and reliability. The latter seems to be the d-maxes problem and the 6.0L powerstrokes. Glow plug problems, servicing problems etc. The cummins has proven its reliability, power, and longevity. I see a lot more broken 6.5L Chevies than 7.3s or 12V cummins.

I wish Mercedes Benz would sell a heavier van here I could buy. Talk about reliability. The sprinter is underpowered with its V6 (or the gen1 had a 5cyl 2.9L fabulously reliable and good for 100mph without too much weight) great for plumbers but not the most powerful tow vehicle.

I'd rock this

Mercedes 618D, OM904 4.2L 4cylinder diesel. 177hp, 500lb/ft torque @ 1,200-1,600rpms.
Pimpwagon fa shizzle my nozzle.