Veyron vs Gtr

Talk about your other cars here.

Moderator: crzyone

crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Re: Veyron vs Gtr

Post by crzyone »

Atilla the Fun wrote: And don't say AWD is an advantage. On dry paved roads, it's not. Formula 1 tried it and abandoned it.
You obviously don't know what you are talking about. Intelligent AWD systems are not for snow or wet conditions. They are to make the car go faster on dry pavement. If F1 isn't using it, it's probably because the rule book doesn't allow for it.

It's not an R34. The new GTR is an R35.

If you knew anything about the tuning difficulties companies have had with the "unhackable" GTR computer you might have a small understanding of where that $20k pricetag comes from. It's a small market, and the hours spent hacking/tuning the GTR computer has to be paid by someone.

You can not do it yourself. YOU can't tune a GTR.
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

I'm not waffling broseph, I am saying it's not hard at all to make a fiero do the 1/4 as fast or faster than the Veyron. Making them the same car is impossible. FieroXs car won't go around a corner or around a circuit anything remotely like a veyron. The Veyron isn't set up for drag racing it is set up to be a 1,001HP grand tourer. You can set a car up for drag and beat a veyron or set a car up for full track and beat a veyron on a circuit on slicks buts on street tires its hard to get both.

You can't compare them.

What Levi says about the new GTR is true, any jackass with an SCT can't just tune one.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

I find the comparison between an old 3rd gen camaro and a new R35 hysterical.
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
befarrer

Post by befarrer »

1/4 mile racing is no way to determine a cars performance. It shows you the ammount of power it can get to the ground, that is it. Does not test, braking, reliability, cornering, aerodynamics, etc...

I find it funny that everyone goes all apeshit about 1/4 mile times and speeds. Look at the days of road/track racing in the 1960s, Austin Mini's with 1000cc engines were passing Camaro's with 427's in them, hmmm, a Mini I bet does the 1/4 mile in over 20 seconds at maybe 60MPH, but somehow on the racetrack that used all aspects of a cars performance, it is faster than a car that does the 1/4 mile in 11 seconds.

Morons build cars that can only do one thing like go fast in a straight line, that is like only having sex in 1 position ever, sure you may be good at it, but what is the fun in that?

Out of a GTR R35 and a Veyron or Enzo, I would have the Veyron, then the Enzo, then the GTR, no matter how modded the GTR is. Sure they are all nice cars, but at this level they are all fast, but riding in a $1,000,000.00+ car would be sweet. Like having a V6 Mustang or a 10 second Ford Tempo.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

I don't even like the Veyron. An 8 liter 16 cylinder engine with 4 turbos making only 1000hp is not impressive.

The koenigsegg trevita has just as much power, does it with a twin supercharged V-8 and weighs much, much less. This would be a much more fun car to drive. I also think it looks much better but looks are subjective.
http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/koe ... r/1224195/
CincinnatiFiero

The veyron is a marvel of modern engineering I hope one day I have enough money to roll with a crowd where a country club buddy will own one that I one day can drive home from pub night when hes had too much of the 'peringon. I don't want to own one, but I need to drive one.

for ~$1,500,000 I'd buy a $1,000,000 home, an SLS, a '11 E320CDI, F430 (used), and a G55 (used).
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

befarrer wrote: Out of a GTR R35 and a Veyron or Enzo, I would have the Veyron, then the Enzo, then the GTR, no matter how modded the GTR is. Sure they are all nice cars, but at this level they are all fast, but riding in a $1,000,000.00+ car would be sweet. Like having a V6 Mustang or a 10 second Ford Tempo.
The GTR and Veyron share more in common with each other than the Enzo. The Enzo is a light weight stripped down race car compared to the GTR and Veyron.

I don't like the R35. Nissan "Americanized" it when they decided to sell it state side. It's huge and heavy. It should weigh 3200lbs but instead it's 3800lbs. This picture shows the comparison bewteen the R34 and R35

As you can see, huge.

When the R32 GTR came out, it was sold at the same time as the Z32 (300zx turbo). The 300Z weighed in at almost 3600lbs while the R32 GTR weighed 3150lbs. Pretty amazing considering the GTR is AWD with AWS and such. The GTR used aluminum for the fenders and hood, and cut a bunch of weight on other areas. The GTR was fully loaded, with features such as automatic folding mirrors and it was sill a light weight.

The R35 should compare to the G37 like the old school R32 compared to the 300zx. It should be multiple hundreds of pounds lighter and still offer the same features. It should be small, and nimble. If they wanted to keep it a skyline they should have made a new aluminum straight 6 engine to replace the old cast iron RB26DETT (I don't care how much more compact or lighter a V-6 is)

Nissan dropped the ball with the R35. It's impressive for what it is, but it's too large and heavy to be the next "benchmark" like the R32-R34 was.
CincinnatiFiero

Thank you for saying all of that. About time a real skyline owner dissents. The new GTR is a marvel on engineering but they aren't calling it a Skyline GTR for a reason.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Atilla the Fun wrote:Exhaust side $1,000
Cold piping $1,000.
Fuel system $2,000
Turbos $5,000 / pair
Intercooler $1,000
Tuner with 2 tunes pre-loaded $2,000
Profit $10,000.

=

RIPOFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(Do it yourself and save $10,000)
Squires Turbo Systems does the same thing, ther try to charge double for their patented rear turbo kits, but most people successfully do their own at half price, with a local dyno tune, and still reap the smog legal boost result from having the turbo(s) after the cat(s).
If they can't price fair, don't give them your business. They're allowed to make some profit, but not more than about $100 per customer. That's just wrong.
LOL... I'm glad your labor's free, because mine isn't. To build a thoroughly sorted turbo kit that runs right all the time requires non-zero development costs. I've seen plenty of home grown hacked together junk that can turn a fast time at the strip but only runs right on the street when the temp is between 83 and 86, the wind is out of the south-by-southwest at 13 kts and the moon is a waxing crescent. Read the italicized phrases again.

It's the difference between engineering and fabrication.

And from a purely business standpoint, no R+D based organization can continue to operate on a 1% profit, which is what you suggest.
CincinnatiFiero

That's another point to consider. You're paying a skilled welder to hand TIG yards of pipe together. His labor doesn't come cheap and the work isn't fast. $12,000 in labor, probably not.

On an $80,000 car with a $22,000 turbo kit its worth the premium for the warranty AMS puts on their parts.

A VR38DETT isn't an LSX you can't stop off at Jegs (a block from my new house) and pick up exhaust manifold gaskets. But even then we could talk about Lingenfelter.

Lingenfelters 800HP Twin Turbo C6 Z06 Setup:
$45,995.00
750HP Supecharged Package
$31,695.00

Granted they get into the motor and install it for you.

Premium Shops charge a Premium Dollar, regardless of the car, period. And with the exclusion of Hennessey you get what you pay for. I cheaped on my motor mounts and DIY'ed and its obvious. They work great, just ugly and were a pain in the ass and I had to break one to learn how to do it right.

A doctor and an engineer friend of mine both taught me the same lesson about the time vs. money debate. I don't have all day every day to engineer and DIY so you pay a premium to have it done for you. If your time is valuable it is cheaper to pay what seems like more money to just get the job done.