2011 Camaro 3.6 is 312 HP

A place for fun discussion of common interests we have besides Fieros

Moderator: ericjon262

CincinnatiFiero

Re: 2011 Camaro 3.6 is 312 HP

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

“The 304 horsepower in the 2010 Camaro was actually a conservative rating on our end,” said Tom Sutter, GM V-6 chief engineer. “But we knew already that this award-winning engine produced at least the amount of power we stated, but now we’ve gone the extra step in certifying the engine for this application and have verified an additional 8 horsepower.”
They didn't change jack shit. The 2010 Camaro also has 312HP.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

That was the impression I got.
jelly2m81

Post by jelly2m81 »

Apparently GM didn't certify the 3.6 in the 5th Gen untill early this spring. They published the numbers based on the CTS engine certification. The Engine / Drive train has not been changed for '11, it is identicial to the '10's.
GM needed the true engine certification to stay in the numbers game with the new V6 Mustang coming out.

The Camaro makes a few more ponies due to the exhaust, air box and tuning. 2010's are rated at 312 HP.
Archies-left-nut

Post by Archies-left-nut »

Sad part about the whole deal is that I will never understand WHY the manufacturers offer supposed "muscle cars" with pussy 6 cylinder motors to begin with. They seem to try to cater to the posers out there. If you can't afford the real deal, you shouldn't be driving one. Just like Ford was making the 4,6, and 8 cylinder Mustang for years. They finally got smart and got rid of the 4's. Buying a muscle car with a 6 cylinder whether it be a Challenger, Camaro, or a Mustang is just wrong. Maybe a 6 cylinder Vette is in order next? :no:
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

You really are archies left nut, SBC or nuthin'!
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

Now the 2012 Mustang V6 will be 313 HP.
Give me the good old days, when HP numbers were rounded down to the nearest 5 or 0. Much more realistic.
And I do wonder why ponycars offer V6s, the WHOLE point of the car IS the V8. If you want a V6, you can get that in every 4-door sedan out there, from every manufacturer. Stock N/A V6s aren't hot enough for drifting, so they don't need RWD. Yes, you can add boost, unless your ponycar came with 11.2:1 and direct injection, but that only gets you to V8 results at V8 prices. And in the Ford, the V6 still doesn't get the 8.8" axle, only the 7.5" axle. Plus regardless of which brand you like, you still don't get the better radiator and stuff that's included with the V8. So the 6 makes no sense. Go big or go home.
The '98 Z28 came with 305 HP, and could kiss 31 mpg, so it seems like the new V6 Mustang is 12 years behind. And the '98 Z28 did some things the new V6 Mustang can't do. One, it ran a 12.89 at 109.18, just as it rolled off the showroom floor. It wasn't even an SS. And to prove it was fairly tested, the testers were all verified Ford lovers.
Also, you can't spend $500 on A cam and a set of gaskets for a V6 Mustang and pick up 30 RWHP without even a tune. The '98-'02 Z28 offered that, as soon as COMP had cams ready for the LS1.
the real question is why all the ponycars are limited to high-revving small-displacement engines. Surely we now have the technology to have the low-revving torque. The Viper offers important clues on how the recipe works, such as combining the 0.50:1 sixth with a 3.07:1 rear gear.
GM is getting the 4.065" bore to pass emissions, and bore affects emissions far more than stroke, so let's raise the decks, go to the LSx-design-maximum stroke, which is 4.500", and have a 7.7L that offers it's 436 HP at a far more satisfying and useful 4400 rpm.
Fastback86

Post by Fastback86 »

Archies-left-nut wrote:Sad part about the whole deal is that I will never understand WHY the manufacturers offer supposed "muscle cars" with pussy 6 cylinder motors to begin with. They seem to try to cater to the posers out there. If you can't afford the real deal, you shouldn't be driving one. Just like Ford was making the 4,6, and 8 cylinder Mustang for years. They finally got smart and got rid of the 4's. Buying a muscle car with a 6 cylinder whether it be a Challenger, Camaro, or a Mustang is just wrong. Maybe a 6 cylinder Vette is in order next? :no:
15 years ago, the top-of-the-line Mustang Cobra made 300 hp. Hell, until a year ago the Mustang GT made 3135 hp. Damn those pussy V-6s they're putting in these new cars! Oh wait...
<Insert Sig Here>
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

MFG's were doing that before there WERE muscle cars. Original Mustang/Camaro with straight 6 out sold the V8 models.

A six cylinder Viper wouldn't be so bad... as long as it was a Cummins 6 cylinder. :-D
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

Fastback86 wrote: 15 years ago, the top-of-the-line Mustang Cobra made 300 hp. Hell, until a year ago the Mustang GT made 315 hp. Damn those pussy V-6s they're putting in these new cars! Oh wait...
Same peak hp, but far far less average HP, due to lack of adequate torque, due to lack of adequate displacement.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:MFG's were doing that before there WERE muscle cars. Original Mustang/Camaro with straight 6 out sold the V8 models.

A six cylinder Viper wouldn't be so bad... as long as it was a Cummins 6 cylinder. :-D
I asked my 79-year-old dad about this, because his mind is still sharp, and because he had a new '66 Mustang 289. He tells me that younger male drivers were going to junk yards and getting ford 260 V8s to swap in. Dad also tells me he was friends with a nice guy who didn't mind being called N****r Rube. He was an excellent mechanic, very good at tuning engines, and he did have chocolate-colored skin. He was well liked by everyone. Dad tells of Rube doing about 1 of these swaps every week for most of '65, and well into '66. Dad drove one of these, which made him want one. But by then the supply of 260s was drying up, and prices were skyrocketing, so he just bought a 289 version to start with. He let Rube drive it, and rube just thanked him for the drive, and for not making him repeat the monotonous swap yet again. Rube also swapped some of Ford's 312 Y-blocks, a Chevy 327, a few Chevy 283s and a couple of Mopars into those early 6-cylinder Mustangs.
If you want to hear about Rube driving the 327 Mustang with no traction-lok, just ask. Remember, those tires were hard as rocks and narrow as modern mountain bikes.
alltrbo

Post by alltrbo »

I guess I'm a bit behind on this, but stereotypes can kiss my butt.

I like my 2010 V6 Camaro. It's a comfortable, composed, torquey, fun, and damn good looking (IMO) daily driver. It has more get up than anyone needs, and sounds great at 7000rpm full tilt. It weighs (a bit) less than the SS (though they're both pigs) and it's more balanced. With equivalent suspension mods it will outhandle the SS every time. I could have driven off the dealership lot in any SS I wanted, but I wanted the V6.

Now before anyone gives me crap about being a poser in my "fake musclecar" or whatever, you should know that I've always hated V6 Camaros and Mustangs. You should also know that I sold my twin-turbo L98 6-speed IROC-Z to buy this car (and because I don't have the health to deal with more than one project). That car spun the 275's into 4th gear when I wanted it to, and pulled like a bat out of hell from a highway roll. I also had a 2008 ZX-10R which was the bike that was clocked 0-180mph in 17.2 seconds, faster than the 'busa and the ZX-14, and all the other literbikes. It was claimed to be the 'fastest accelerating production vehicle in the world'. I can attest to the mind-warping acceleration this thing had. Unfortunately a low-side at ~25mph, with a lot of Murphy's law thrown in, ended all that.
My point is that I know what going fast is like, and I know what a 'musclecar' is.

This new V6 Camaro is damn good. Hands down the best GM car I've ever been in, and one of the best cars I've ever been in. Screw a 4-door sedan, this is the car I want. I had my doubts about the 'little' 7000rpm V6 pulling around 3700 lbs of weight, even with VVT and an 11.3:1 scr, but when I took one for a test drive it surprised me nicely. It pulls away from an uphill stop sign like it doesn't care, 1500rpm is very usable in almost every gear, and from 2000 on up it pulls with authority, increasing its push with every additional rpm. The torque curve is table-top smooth almost all the way to redline. It's nearly as quick as an LT1 Z28 in the 1/4 mile, and that's nothing to complain about.

Stereotypes and lack of V8 rumble be damned, I don't care...this is one sweet car.

(My cell phone cam is only one notch better than no cam at all, but squint real hard and use your imagination, you might see a Camaro here too)
This is with my other set of wheels. I have a set for the summer and a set for the winter.

(Now... somebody go put the 3.6 DI into a clean Fiero so it can really wake up. I would consider it, except my Fiero is already well down the path of high-boost Gen III 60V6 sweetness [that 'only one' project I was speaking of]).
alltrbo

Post by alltrbo »

And tonal quality, like aesthetics, is purely subjective, but most honest car guys would say that this sounds pretty nice. (I'm still trying to convince my wife that I need a $1200 exhaust for my brand new car)

I mainly speak of 0:23-0:30 in this video, and not the rest of the video that shows how well one cannot drive. :)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49bvWalIWsg[/youtube]

Edit: No youtube embedding? Bah...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49bvWalIWsg