New ride: Jetta Sportwagen

Talk about your other cars here.

Moderator: crzyone

AkursedX
Turbo-boostin!

New ride: Jetta Sportwagen

Post by AkursedX »

I recently traded in my '07 GTI and my '06 Tahoe for a 2010 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI. Since I had my son, I have less time to work on and maintain all of my vehicles. I did some researching and found that I would probably be able to consolidate my vehicles and the Sportwagen would be able to be a family hauler and a fun daily driver.

The dealer I went to sponsors my VW-club and they gave me a really good deal. I ended up getting a brand-new car, $2500 cash, and I still cut my car-payment by $60/month. When you factor in the insurance reduction and gas, I am saving around $140/month off of my old ways. And with the cargo box on top, my wife, son, and 100lb german shepherd can travel in comfort.

So here's the specs for the car:
-2010 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI
-The only option I got was the DSG (Direct Shift Gearbox) Transmission
-Reflex Silver Metallic
-2.0 Turbodiesel 4-cyl with 140hp and 236ft/lbs
-~38mpg so far

Here's a pic of the day I bought it:

And here is it today with some mods:
-18" VMR 710 wheels with Continental Extremecontact DSW's 225/40/18
-35% window tint
-Euro-spec black mirror caps and in-pro smoked mirror turn signals
-Yakima towers crossbars and fairing (I also have a Yakima Skybox Pro-16)

I also have some Monster Mats and a rear cargo mat installed along with some PIAA extreme white headlight bulbs. I have a BSH solid 27mm rear swaybar and endlink kit on order.

Future plans include:
-coilovers
-blacking out the chrome trim and emblems
-foglight retrofit

I have to say that so far this car is all-around awesome. It's big enough to do all the hauling I need, but it's also almost as much fun to drive as my GTI was. Plus I'm loving the fuel economy. Getting 550+ miles out of a tank of gas is pretty cool.
'88 Fiero GT- 3800 Turbo Best E.T. 11.36 Best MPH 121.50 (Sold and gone)
2021 Hyundai Veloster-N (SCCA Solo D-Street)
2004 Mazda RX-8 (SCCA Solo STX)
WNY SCCA-Region Auto-X Program Chair
CincinnatiFiero

Re: New ride: Jetta Sportwagen

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

You're going to love it, but read up on TDI oil changes. They don't like just any diesel oil.
Unsafe At Any Speed

Post by Unsafe At Any Speed »

I don't think you'll make it 550 miles with a tank of gas in that... :-D
AkursedX
Turbo-boostin!

Post by AkursedX »

CincinnatiFiero wrote:You're going to love it, but read up on TDI oil changes. They don't like just any diesel oil.
Yeah I know. You have to use a vw 507.00 rated oil. The only one that is somewhat available is castrolgold 5w30. Although the stuff at the store doesn't have the vw rating. Supposedly my first three services are covered by the dealer. You're only supposed to change the oil every 10k miles.... Personally, I will change it every 5k miles and I will probably just order the approved Motul oil online.

And Unsafe at any Speed, I should have specified 550+ miles on a tank of diesel! I just drove to pittsburgh tonight with the A/C on and into a headwind. I still averaged 37mpg and still have over 1/2 tank after 290 miles. That was with car loaded with the family and my skybox mounted on top. I would like to see what I can get by myself with a tailwind and no skybox....
CincinnatiFiero

My friends 2004 just wiped the cam out after 131k using dealer oil changes every 10k and my dad just bought a 2006 DSG with a wiped out cam with 86k. I think the 2.0L is supposed to be a little better but I fully support more frequent oil changes. Even my 300D calls for 6k oil changes on dino oil, diesels load the oil with so much crap the most I go is like 4k on conventional.
AkursedX
Turbo-boostin!

Post by AkursedX »

CincinnatiFiero wrote:My friends 2004 just wiped the cam out after 131k using dealer oil changes every 10k and my dad just bought a 2006 DSG with a wiped out cam with 86k. I think the 2.0L is supposed to be a little better but I fully support more frequent oil changes. Even my 300D calls for 6k oil changes on dino oil, diesels load the oil with so much crap the most I go is like 4k on conventional.
Yeah, this generation of engine doesn't seem to have the cam-destruction of the previous generation. The big problem with ours so far is contaminating the fuel system with metal shavings from a destroyed high pressure fuel-pump. This has been attributed to contaminated/too harsh of gas. I have been running a fuel lubricity additive to help the situation. Hopefully if won't have an adverse effect on the diesel particle filter or any of the other emissions stuff over time. We'll see. But so far, I am loving it.
CincinnatiFiero

Ive heard of a carbon build up issue on the 2.0s as well, much like the issue on the 2.0T gas motors. The 2.0T gas motor has a the fuel pump driven off of a cam follower and when the "bucket" wears out it will eat the cam up I always run additive in my 300D, they took the sulfur out of the fuel so the older IDI motors won't run worth a shit on pump fuel. My 300D is garbage without additive.
AkursedX
Turbo-boostin!

Post by AkursedX »

CincinnatiFiero wrote:Ive heard of a carbon build up issue on the 2.0s as well, much like the issue on the 2.0T gas motors. The 2.0T gas motor has a the fuel pump driven off of a cam follower and when the "bucket" wears out it will eat the cam up I always run additive in my 300D, they took the sulfur out of the fuel so the older IDI motors won't run worth a shit on pump fuel. My 300D is garbage without additive.

I was well aware of the 2.0t fuel pump issues too. My GTI was had that engine in it. I helped address the carbon buildup issue by adding a vent-to-atmosphere catch can. That's one of the negative benefits of direct injection; you lose the cleaning ability of the fuel on the valves. I don't know if the diesel will have the same issues with the severe carbon buildup. It was a concern that I had before buying the car, but there just isn't anyone with enough miles on the engine yet. We'll see as time goes on.
CincinnatiFiero

I forgot about your GTI. You can't really add a catch can on a diesel, at least on the benzes, even ones that make fabulous compression can fill one up in an afternoon. Post more pics! Are you going to mess with the motor?